MembersZone Subscriber

Default Andy Rooney on "Road Rage"

I was emailed this by a friend of mine. Granted... you can read into this quite a few different ways... so I will post and let everyone ponder. It is the reference to emergency vehicles that I am talking about. Read on.

"Enough to Drive One to Rage"
    by Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes

I keep reading stories about “road rage” – drivers who get mad at other drivers. This past summer, I did some driving and suffered a lot of road rage myself.

“Suffer” may not be the right word because I didn’t suffer. I enjoyed getting mad. There are half a dozen things other drivers do that enrage me.

For instance, I’m driving along at a reasonable speed – I leave a decent distance between me and the car in front of me – and some idiot cuts in between us. I have to drop back.

Then, there’s always an exit with a long line of cars. Most people get in line and wait their turn, but there’s always someone who cruises up on the outside and gets in ahead of everyone.

Next to steering, nothing is easier than signaling your intention to turn. About half the drivers don’t bother; even worse are the ones who start to turn and then put on their turn signal.

I dislike slow drivers. They’re proud of themselves, but as many accidents are caused by drivers who go too slow as by those who go too fast.

Accidents are the biggest cause of traffic jams, but the emergency vehicles are more in the way than the cars that were in the accident.

And then, I know it may be for a good cause, but I’m never happy when the fire department in a small town sets up a road block and comes at you with a coffee can.

The biggest traffic blockers on city streets are trucks delivering soft drinks. One Coca-Cola truck can take up two lanes of traffic and make 175 people late for work, not that Pepsi trucks are any better. All truck deliveries ought to be made before 7 a.m.

Truck drivers vary from being the best on the road to the worst. A lot of cowboys loom large in your rear view mirror.

I don’t know what’s wrong with people who park at the mall. The lines are clearly marked. It isn’t that hard to aim a car but a lot of drivers have bad aim.

The temporary electric signs that the construction people put up aren’t much help. And they aren’t clear. How do I form two lines in one car?

Unlike so many others, I am a kind, considerate, careful driver. I never go too fast or too slow. I don’t cut in. I park where I should, and I seldom blow my own horn.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

"And then, I know it may be for a good cause, but I’m never happy when the fire department in a small town sets up a road block and comes at you with a coffee can." - I agree with this statement 1000%.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Re: Andy Rooney on "Road Rage"

Originally posted by sconfire

"Enough to Drive One to Rage"
    by Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes

Accidents are the biggest cause of traffic jams, but the emergency vehicles are more in the way than the cars that were in the accident
    He'd sing a different tune if he was the car in the accident or one of us standing in the war zone... i mean highway.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Andy Rooney's rational thought process has been compromised by the amount of blood supply required by his eyebrows, which has robbed it from that part of his brain....

It's funny how the elite media and the megarich love to lavish us with praise, until it is time to put they money where their mouth is.

Case in point: A few years ago, one of Ted Turner's ranches was threatened by a wiildfire. The VFD that protected the area saved his ranch. Billionaire Ted Turner made a donation to the VFD...of $500 how generous!

I wonder howe much Andy donates to the FD's on Martha's Vineyard, where he spends his summers
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Accidents are the biggest cause of traffic jams, but the emergency vehicles are more in the way than the cars that were in the accident.
    100% Disagree. The safety of my crew for the 15-20 minutes I am on an auto accident is much more important than your coffee date. Sit in traffic and deal with it.

And then, I know it may be for a good cause, but I’m never happy when the fire department in a small town sets up a road block and comes at you with a coffee can.
    100% Agree! Add to the list, Church Groups, Cheerleading Squads, Community Basketball Teams, Homeless People, Police Organizations (Who should know better)and any other not for profit special interest group you can think of! GET OUT OF THE STREET!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Agree...

It's one thing to raise funds, but if it comes down to begging... Time to talk about getting a fire tax or grant! NEVER BEG!

It is my feeling that fundraising out in the community, like BBQ's, carnivals; is a great way to get messages to the community. Build a camradery with local citizens. Plus, it's a great way to show the community what and who they have protecting them.
    Last edited by blueeighty88; 07-02-2004 at 11:40 PM.

Early Adopter

Thread Information