Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Veterans Preference

I recently took a written and physical test for a career psoition- I did well on both, there was about 250 people for 3 spots. Basically I was told that if there was a person with a military background they would be hired ahead of someone who had a better score and non vet- I have heard of giving extra points but give me a break. They havent even ranked the non vets since they havent gone through the vets yet. I wish the residents of this city knew this. Has anyone else heard of this.

Why not give Vets a little bit of a leg up? They paid in blood for your right to voice your opinion.

Which by the way, comes off a little whiny..........
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

I wasnt trying to sound whiny but to give you an idea the guy that was behind me inline was based at Paris Island- never saw any combat and had 3 DUI's that wont show up in the background check in this state- no experience- why just because he is a vet make him a better candidate?? Also just because I went to college and he couldnt get into a college and chose to go in the service does that make either of us a better candidate??

First off, not everyone is blessed enough to afford college. Book smart is good, but life smart is better. No offense, but I am sure that any HONORABLY discharged veteran is going to be relatively squared away in his work ethic, discipline, and willingness to put up with crap. A recent college graduate who went from Mommy to college and is now looking for work is not as likely to have these qualities.

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Oh, and just because he saw no combat, does his service mean less? When you enlist in the military, it is knowing full well that whenever the shooting starts, your butt is gonna be there. THe dedication to duty is just one more quality that a Vet has.

Wayne- never said I was just out of college- I have experience. My point is why does being a vet mean you are better qualified to be a firefighter- no more that me being a college grad does. i say everyone should be treated the same- based on FF experience and how they can do the job. I am not knocking vets by any means. This towns HR states that they HAVE TO hire the vet no matter what. I am just saying this isnt fair, if you have two people that are even in qualifications then yeah, go with the vet but just to hire someone because of that doesnt make sense.

Those 5 points are earned for time served in the military. Just becasue one does not see combat doesn't make them any less of a warrior than those of us who have. Diabled Vets get 10 points vise 5...because they have already sacrificed a bit more than the everyday joe. You get the 5 points because of 1. Servicemen in the "day" did not get jobs after WW2 because they had trouble transitioning into civil life....you basically lose 2-8 years of your life and the points are a way the Gov't says thanks...the other thing is that for most part....you have proven to be of good moral character.......

IMO...anyone who served in the military for any length of time IS a better person than those who went to college...one is thrown into leadership and responsibility real quick...not saying college doesn't give you those ideals...but in college is you screw up you go on academic probation or...with some shmoozing, get another chance....in the military...you screw up and people die....that a fact...just my experience though...8 years in the USMC and 3 years of college....
    IACOJ Member

All the services have firefighters. Take your pick, than you'll have your job as a firefighter and your vet's pref. You'll also understand without having to ask why there is such a thing as vet's pref.

If you do decide to go that route I would spend some time talking to men and or women in the jobs because they are very differnt from one service to another.

VinneB and 1835Wayne Amen brothers and thank you. I have a combined 6 years military service. Im getting out here shortly, and am going to attempt FDNY. Good luck brothers, and be safe. God bless our brothers over seas MAKING THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE

John

Thread Information