Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Arrow when should a RIT Team be released?

we are just starting RIT....there has been some discussion on this issue at our department...our SOG on it is not complete yet....at what time should a RIT team be released?.....when the fire is knocked down?.....when overhaul is in progress?....when overhaul is done?........I have not really seen any actual rules about this.....we have quite a few trailer fires in our area ( no jokes please LOL)....anyhow as many know the floors get very weak or burn through.....so a firefighter could get injured even during overhaul....granted his life may not be in danger as during a actual working fire.....so should you still have a RIT crew standing by?....and suggestions and comments would be appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

we dont release ours till overhaul is done...like you said never know when ya might fall through a floor or have a celing or wall collapse.
    when ya start rollin hose let'um go....or if your dept. is gifted with a chit load of FF's on scene you can assign couple for that job and let your "dispatched" RIT crew go home.

good luck with it and hope you never have to use it!

Here is the exact wording from our SOP of RIT.

5.3.1. After the Incident Commander and the Incident Safety Officer have thoroughly evaluated the situation and the Incident Commander has decided the operation no longer presents hazardous risks to personnel necessitating the RIT, the Incident Commander may suspend the operations of the RIT(s). The Incident Commander shall advise over the radio that the RIT is being terminated so that all personnel on the fireground are aware of this.

Hope this helps.
    Scott

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: when should a RIT Team be released?

Originally posted by Firefighter2160
    we are just starting RIT....there has been some discussion on this issue at our department...our SOG on it is not complete yet....at what time should a RIT team be released?.....when the fire is knocked down?.....when overhaul is in progress?....when overhaul is done?........I have not really seen any actual rules about this.....we have quite a few trailer fires in our area ( no jokes please LOL)....anyhow as many know the floors get very weak or burn through.....so a firefighter could get injured even during overhaul....granted his life may not be in danger as during a actual working fire.....so should you still have a RIT crew standing by?....and suggestions and comments would be appreciated
    Our SOG states:

5. In any emergency situation, the IC should maintain a RIT until the emergency is abated, or the situation has changed such that the risk of a firefighter needing urgent assistance is negligible. At that time, the IC may release the RIT to perform other fireground duties.

The RIT does not prevent injuries; it is a rescue team in case a FF cannot get himself out of a dangerous situation. Once the chance of a FF getting in trouble disappears, the RIT can be released.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

You might think about keeping them for awhile during overhaul as there still is a possibility for collapes,from above or below as you stated. As long as there is the possibility of someone getting injured you should have someone there to assist them as soon as possible. If all companies are still working maybe keep them around until you start to pick up, and not released as soon as the fire's under control. I feel it's better to have them there a little longer then to send them back too early. Error on the side of safety. Although, don't drag it out. Things look good send them back.If they're mutual aid,THANK them then send them back. Even if you come up with an SOG, it's still a judgement call. Good luck

Forum Member

This was discussed on www.rapidintervention.com previously...most (not all but most) seem to agree 'till after overhaul is complete. An incident we had locally a few years ago reinforced both this point & the point that the RIT should stay assigned as RIT.

Local FD had a house fire, quick down was accomplished, RIT was sent in during overhaul to help out (no replacement RIT in place)...all went well 'till the ceiling collpased injuring 9 FF's including part
    of the RIT.

Just reinforces the need for a trained, equipped RIT standing by
    during the ENTIRE operation. That's my 2 cents..Stay Safe..

Thread Information