Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Unscientific Study

It's the day before Independence Day and I am looking to see who out here in cyberland has had fireworks related incidents this "4th of July season". If you have or you do have one, I would like to hear about it. Dosent have to be a blow by blow account, just a quick description. Thanks to our neighbors, namely Indiana, Missouri, and Wisconsin, the emergency rooms of Illinois will be visited by those dummies who couldnt leave the pyrotechnics to professionals. Stay safe.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

On June 28 IIRC we had one where a guy was driving along and shot off something (IIRC bottle rocket) out his car window and lit up the ditch along the highway 4 miles west of town.

He saw the fire, called it in on his cell phone.

VFD had a brush truck on scene and the fire out <10 minutes.

<.5 acres in size, confined to the road ditch between the pavement and the stubble field next to it.

Scared the heck out of the guy, and after his hind end had been chewed up and spit out by the Chief I think his IQ jumped up a few points.

No charges, fines, or supression fees assesed.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Mikey;

Here's another unscientific study (I hope it doesn't hijack the thread).

How many FF think its OK to blow off illegal, dangerous fireworks at their own holiday functions? Usually while mixing alcohol.

No hijack, it's a valid question George. Of course fireworks are not illegal in many states, so if you get drunk and blow off some fireworks in these areas you have every right to do so. I used to blow off fireworks myself. I dont know if its old age, but they really just annoy me now. On the other hand, the pros are getting better and better with the displays and I really do like the big outdoor shows.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post How about a scientific study?

The problem is larger than one might expect. Here are some 2003 statistics from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The entire report is available at:Fireworks Injuries Stats

CPSC has reports of 6 deaths associated with fireworks during 2003. Four deaths were associated with aerial fireworks. The other deaths occurred in fires that were started by fireworks.

Fireworks devices were involved in an estimated 9,300 injuries treated in U. S. hospital emergency departments during calendar year 2003. CPSC staff estimated that there were 8,800 injuries during 2002.

One hundred people were killed and almost 200 were injured in a fire in a nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island. The fire was started with fireworks,not classified as consumer fireworks. These victims were not included in the number of deaths and injuries above because the incident was not typical of fireworks-related deaths or injuries.

An estimated 6,800 fireworks-related injuries were treated in U. S. hospital emergency departments during the one month special study period surrounding the Fourth of July, 2003 (June 20, 2003 Ė July 20, 2003). CPSC staff estimated that there were 5,700 injuries during 2002.

Among different types of fireworks, firecrackers were associated with the greatest number of estimated injuries at 1,600, followed by bottle rockets at 1,000 and sparklers at 700. Sparklers accounted for more than half the injuries for children under 5.

We estimated that there were a small number of injuries (100) at public fireworks displays. Firecrackers and bottle rockets were the largest single fireworks types associated with injuries to 5 to 14 year olds. About half the victims of bottle rocket-related injuries were to 15-24 year olds.

The parts of the body most often injured were hands (estimated 1,800
    emergency department visits), eyes (1,400 visits) and the head, face and ear (1,200 visits).

About two-thirds of the injuries involved burns. Burns were the most
    common injury to all parts of the body except the eyes, where contusions, lacerations, foreign bodies and burns occurred with about equal frequencies.

Descriptions of 2003 fireworks-related deaths are as follows:

∑ A 2-year-old Florida male died of smoke inhalation in a mobile home fire. The fire was started in the laundry room by another child (3 years old) who brought a lit sparkler into contact with combustibles. The 2-year-old child was overcome by smoke.

∑ An 18-year-old Michigan male was fatally injured when lighting a mortar type firework. The victim and his friend were huddled around a launching tube to block the wind. The victim peeled back part of the paper surrounding the wick of a mortar shell that was in the launching tube. A witness told officials that the firework did not fly out of the tube as expected but it flew into the air and ignited
    with a large flash close to the victim. The victim died seven days after the incident from traumatic brain injuries. Three other people were injured in the incident.

∑ A 24-year-old Pennsylvania man was setting off fireworks in a field. The victim had an aerial display canister in a tube that was six inches in diameter and three feet high. The firework did not go off after being lit. When the victim went over to the tube to examine the firework, it detonated. He died instantly from massive head injuries.

∑ A 38-year-old Connecticut man was struck in the chest by a commercial- type firework projectile that he launched from a pipe he had placed in the ground. The police reported that the victim was leaning over the tube lighting the fuse when it went off.

∑ A 38-year-old Iowa man was setting off fireworks for his friends. He placed a tan baseball shaped device into a plastic launch tube. After lighting the fuse there was an immediate explosion that caused the victim to fall onto the ground. Then there was a second much louder explosion. The victim sustained fatal head injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

∑ During the early morning hours of December 2003 in Massachusetts, a 57-year-old man lit several fireworks devices. These were 2 inch long cylinders that spin on the ground and emit multicolored sparks and small flames. One of these devices ignited a dry Christmas tree after bouncing underneath. The resulting fire caused the death of a 45- year-old woman and injured three other adults.
    Of course, some of you may recall another thread posted last year, regarding the Quinebaug, Conn Fire Dept. selling fireworks for fundraising. The Chief, when questioned about the dangers of fireworks stated, ""But in 45 years, I've never been to a fire caused by fireworks."

Related threads regarding fireworks incidents:

My personal effort to make a point. http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ight=fireworks

My colleague George Wendt's thread regarding the CT. incident.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ight=fireworks
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

For at least the last 15 years, we have had a fireworks show on the beach every Thursday night from the last week of June til the second week of September. 0 injuries. 0 damage. Course, now I just jinxed myself...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Just had our first of the weekend.

Nothing major, just a small grass fire.

Personally, I'd rather go watch a professional display than watch some moron with a string of firecrackers chase around the neighborhood cats.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

i believe Sayerville NJ (a town 2 towns over from me) called for an ambulance because a professional fireworks starter (ie, an employee of the company paid to to the towns fireworks display) blew his hand off during the show trying to launch a rocket.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 07-04-2004 at 01:37 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Two mobile homes destroyed by a roman candle in our rural response district around 23:00 on the 3rd (one ignited directly, the second was an exposure).
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

17-year-old dies in fireworks explosion
    Updated: 07/04/2004 12:33:20 PM

(Webster-AP) -- A Fourth of July celebration in far northwestern Wisconsin turned deadly yesterday.

The Burnett County Sheriff's Department says it received a call around ten last night that a 17-year-old in Webster had severe head trauma.

The sheriff's department says the boy was injured by a three-inch mortar shell firework.

The victim was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, then transported to Regions Hospital, where he died around two this morning.

The sheriff's department is investigating, and hasn't released the boy's name yet.

My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

I can see most of the fireworks display which will be going off over downtown Baton Rouge tonight from my station. It certainly beats anything a private citizen can do on their own.
    So far the weekend has been quite. No calls since Thursday.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Hey Mikey;

Here's another unscientific study (I hope it doesn't hijack the thread).

How many FF think its OK to blow off illegal, dangerous fireworks at their own holiday functions? Usually while mixing alcohol.

Legal or not, I don't touch 'em and I won't let my kids be around anyone with them (professional displays excepted).
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Even the pros have problems..

In my 22+ years on the MFD.. I have had the fireworks detail... just once... but it was a night to remember.

The City has an annual fireworks display on Labor Day evening to mark the end of summer. I had the detail with theree other firefighters manning on of the reserve rigs and the brush unit.

Everything was going well until....

a 10 inch "starburst" shell, timed to go off when the lifting charge reached a height of 500+ feet went off 30 feet from the launch tube.

I wasn't in the military, and never experienced combat, but that was probably the closest I ever came to it. My crew and I dove under the engine of cover... and had a little bit of fire to put out afterwards.

The fireworks pro? He just said "expletive deleted" and continued on lighting the next charge!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

are we talking any fireworks ? I dont have a problem with a fire cracker or sparkler.......very occasional bottle rocket, past that .....never had to much intrest. And I must admit that after a prudent hour the darn things are more annyoing as I get older. And oh ya .....Hi George. If we have any incidents I will let you all know .......as of now we have had none.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Can one of you guys research the UL standards on firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, etc?

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

From this morning's Chicago Tribune:

Fireworks seriously hurt 1 in Chicago, 1 in Calumet City

Published July 5, 2004

Fireworks seriously injured at least two people over the weekend, hospitalizing one woman after a teenager slipped ignited fireworks through her mail slot as well as a man who was hit by a falling fire hydrant cap after he lit a firework beneath it, authorities said.

Firefighters went to a burning home in the 500 block of South Yates Avenue in Calumet City shortly after 10:30 p.m. Saturday and found the woman who lived there, Eleanore Moll, 76, without a pulse on the kitchen floor. Moll was resuscitated, taken to St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Hammond, Ind., and then transferred to Southlake Methodist Hospital in Merrillville, Ind., according to Calumet City police. She was in critical condition but expected to survive, police said.

Police arrested a Calumet City teen for slipping fireworks through the woman's mail slot, said Calumet City Police Chief Patrick O'Meara. He is charged with aggravated arson.

In the other case, a 19-year-old was in serious condition after he lit a firecracker under the cap of a Chicago fire hydrant Sunday in the 2200 block of North Keystone Avenue, said police spokesman Matthew Jackson.

The man ignited an M-100 firework and placed the cap over the firework. The cap flew up and fell on the man's head. He was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was being treated for a massive head injury. He possibly could lose an eye, Jackson said.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Here Too........................... ...

In a Major Metro area like ours, there will be something. We share a common border with Virginia and Washington DC, both of which have lax (if any) Fireworks rules. Roadside stands are everywhere, selling a lot of stuff. Evening of the 4th, (last nite) I spent a couple of hours at the local ER myself, (broken finger) but the only other injured person there was the victim of a flashover on the Grill while BBQing. Sounded like he was standing too close when the thing ignited, (too much lighter fluid?) and got a lot of singed hair. Doc knew me and we both talked about respiratory tract burns with the gentleman. He seemed to be OK and was discharged. My timing was perfect, when I was discharged the Fireworks were done, and the Traffic had thinned........ Oh, BTW, Weather here was VERY humid, No, make that WET, we had thunderstorms earlier which washed out a lot of parties and probably put a lot of "Personal" fireworks events on hold......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Had a Great Time

Had a wonderful time with our fireworks last night. Bought enough that with the neighbors we were at it for over two hours. However, out here in Calif., we only have the "safe and sane" ones. Gone are the days of "dumb and dangerous". Damn this getting old.

If any of you don't know which are legal here, let me know.

We have had numerous inc. over the last few days and even have pictures of them on our website. One of them shows the bottle rockets that started it (structure).

I have a problem with local gov., making any and all fireworks illegal. The fires that are started are done so by the fireworks that are illegal already, so it seems to me that it is a moot point. The ones that are legal are fine if done correctly and supervised. It's an arguument that wages every year, but take the flying fireworks away, your inc. will go down. Then again, narcotics are illegal and yet they are used all the time too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Had a Great Time

Originally posted by Fireman891
    Had a wonderful time with our fireworks last night. Bought enough that with the neighbors we were at it for over two hours. However, out here in Calif., we only have the "safe and sane" ones. Gone are the days of "dumb and dangerous". Damn this getting old.

If any of you don't know which are legal here, let me know.

We have had numerous inc. over the last few days and even have pictures of them on our website. One of them shows the bottle rockets that started it (structure).

I have a problem with local gov., making any and all fireworks illegal. The fires that are started are done so by the fireworks that are illegal already, so it seems to me that it is a moot point. The ones that are legal are fine if done correctly and supervised. It's an arguument that wages every year, but take the flying fireworks away, your inc. will go down. Then again, narcotics are illegal and yet they are used all the time too.
    This is the stupidest argument I have seen yet on this topic.

1. Supervised? By who? Some drunk moron with a backyard full of drunk morons and their children? Maybe I'm not talking about you, but I sure as hell am talking about most of them.

2. Safe and sane? See my comment above. How in God's name are they "safe". Afre they made in strict compliance with some national standard? Are there quality control inspectors taking random samples to make sure they work right?

3. Please cite your stats that support your contention about fireworls related fires.

4. This is government's fault? You have a problem with them trying to shut down an industry that manufactures a lethal product with absolutely no standards, regulation or oversight?

5. You had "numerous incidents" and you think that this is OK? The only thing that is "dumb and dangerous" is your thinking.

Thread Information