Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hose Testing

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Hose Testing

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE MAX. LENGTH OF HOSE FOR HOSE TESTING IS 300'. I'M WONDERING BECAUSE SINCE I'M DEALING WITH STATIC PRESSURE, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO AS LONG AS I NEED. THE ONLY AWNSER I GOT WAS BECAUSE THATS THE WAY WE ALWAYS DONE IT & THATS WHAT THE N.F.P.A. STANDARD SAYS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes the water should be at the same pressure in the entire length.
    Longer then the 300' makes it a lot harder to get all the air out of the line, and since the air will compress the test won't be accurate.
    On a less scientific side it is a pain in the butt to try to set up a longer test the way it should be per NFPA. The lines should be straight, not crossing, and when you come across a leak you have to take that line out and start over, in a long test it just takes forever. We have LDH and only use a hose tester so a single test takes a half hour just to get up to pressure. One bad year we got one test in for the entire morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HOSE TESTING

ADSNWFLD THANKS FOT YOUR RESPONSE. I THOUGHT ABOUT THE AIR IN THE LINE ALSO, BUT WE'RE USING AN ENGINE HOOKED UP TO A HYDRANT, AND THE LINES ARE BLEED OFF FOR APROX 30 SEC AFTER THE LAST POP OF AIR IS HEARD LEAVING THE LINE. I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR A "SCIENTIFIC" EXPALNATION, COULDN'T LIVE WITH "ITS THE WAY WE ALWAYS DONE IT"

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

As you bring up pressure on the hose it stretches. In doing do it develops quite a bit of potential energy (even though no water is moving). If you experience a catastrophic hose failure, the hose will whip and release all that potential energy at once. The longer the hose, the more stored energy.

For what it's worth, I hope you have a drilled gate valve to limit flow in case of a failure as well. Going from 250 psi and zero flow to max flow in the blink of an eye is a recipe for disaster as well.

Hose testing is much more serious business than most people think. There was even a hose testing LODD a few years ago. If I recall correctly, the victim was struck in the head by a coupling that was flailing around.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

[ The longer the hose, the more stored energy. ]

MY QUESTION IS THIS, IF YOU CANNOT COMPRESS WATER, AND THE WATER IS SATIC, THE PRESSURE (STORED ENERGY) SHOULD BE THE SAME ANYWHERE IN THE LINE, BEGINNING, END AND/OR MIDDLE REGARDLESS OF LENGTH.

HOWEVER, GOOD POINT ON STORED ENERGY, A 2.5" OR 1.75' WITH 250# PRESSURE IN IT, THAT LETS LOSS COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS

PLEASE STOP yelling.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Originally posted by JMAC651
    [ The longer the hose, the more stored energy. ]

MY QUESTION IS THIS, IF YOU CANNOT COMPRESS WATER, AND THE WATER IS SATIC, THE PRESSURE (STORED ENERGY) SHOULD BE THE SAME ANYWHERE IN THE LINE, BEGINNING, END AND/OR MIDDLE REGARDLESS OF LENGTH.

You are not compressing the water, you are storing energy in the elasticity of the hose, i.e., it's the force of the hose snapping back to its original length, not the water.

Of course your pump is continuously putting energy into the system. It can manifest itself as either pressure or flow. If you do not have a device to limit flow in case of a burst hose, all that energy which was just creating pressure is now creating flow. It's like an open nozzle at mega-gpm with no one to hold it.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

ULLRICHK

Thanks, thats a better explination then the one i'm getting.

As I was once told "the longer your in this buisness, the more you realize, the less you know"

thanks again

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Gentlemen,

Two Things.
    1. Re:LODD hose testing. Some years back, Lt. Dan Raskin of the Chestnut Ridge VFD in Baltimore County, Maryland, died when he was struck by a line that broke loose, but I think that it was a Fire, not a test.
    2. RE: 300 feet at a time. Forget it. We do an entire engine at once.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information