Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Body Armor/Bullet proof vest in the Fire service

I want to know, do any of you ever wear a body armor/bullet proof vest or a stab vest when you respond to a call in a high risk neighborhood or a shooting call. Dose your dept provide you with bullet proof vest or do u have to go out and buy it on your own?. Also dose your dept issue a raid vest, when u go out on a call to assist the police dept?. Have any of you ever wore a bullet proof vest on a shooting call and do u think that bullet proof and stab vest should be part of your company or dept's equipment?
    N.K Chaleunphone, FF/EMT-Basic
    Silver Hill Volunteer Fire dept

We Go Extreme or We Go Home

former FH.com member

Our Paramedics carry vests on the ambulances, but honestly I have no idea what their protocol is for donning them.

edit- by the way since when are you from England? (Lakenheath AFB)

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Our Paramedics carry vests on the ambulances, but honestly I have no idea what their protocol is for donning them.

edit- by the way since when are you from England? (Lakenheath AFB)
    I use to live their once before. My folks were stationed over their back in the late 80's. It's a favorite AFB because of the USAF/RAF base. I'm a military Brat, My father is USAF, I have one brother in the US Navy on the USS Chicago SSN 21 and I have one in the US Coast Guard

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

There is a big debate going on in the UK at the moment about Body Armour for Firefighters...most Police & Paramedics in the cities have them but I guess they think turnout gear is knife & Bullet proof.

Attacks are on the increase (see my article in the memberzone) but there is only a lukewarm response to the problem...I guess when we have Firefighter Murdered the compensation they pay out will be enough to action the problem...in the meantime we are not one of the 'precious' Police, Teachers or Nurses that our beloved Goverment care so much about so we can go jump.

Locally, we are preparing to engage in Co-Responding (similar to EMS but without the full training & equipment) for this they are looking into Body armour as we will not wear turnouts for these calls.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work in a Columbus OHio suburb and they wear vest on gunshots, stabbings, etc..
    Last edited by suzuki98; 07-05-2004 at 09:17 AM.

I would assume that those wearing fire gear in place of ballistic vests feel that the fire gear easily identifies them as firefighters/paramedics rather than police officers, which is the primary reason we wear our vests. They may be right, however, at our department we are all issued Level IIa body armor (same as the PD)and wear them on any violent or potentially violent run per our SOPs

Do any of u think that it should be part of the fire service equipment?. What do u think about having bullet proof and stab vest as part of the company equipment. Is their any dept's that have vest that they have as part of their SOP's. What's OSHA's view on fire/EMS personel having pullet proof vest and stab vest?

Well there are now vests available that are level IIa balistic as well as stab resistant, and are the same size/bulk as the ones the police officers wear under their shirts (which is the same ones we have).

I absolutely think they should be a part of our equipment, and they are part of the initial issue for all new firefighters here. As the older vests are expiring (vests are only warrenteed/garunteed for 5 years) we are buying the new vests that are both. As for OSHA/NFPA, dunno what they think, but I can't imagine they care much.

At our fireworks show last saturday I was on the bicycle with my partner. While we don't normally wear vests as a part of our bicycle uniform, I _WILL NOT_ do next years event without one. At this years event we had two rival gangs facing off. There were numerous guns recovered and many arrests made, and thanks to a great effort of policing by the Whitehall PD, there fortunatly were no injuries reported.

Remember when yer out there in these hairy situations, that people see blue, they don't see fire or police. It is absolutely possible to be involved in a shooting or stabbing. A few years ago, while responding to a shooting in a rather nasty part of east Columbus, our firefighter/paramedics found themselves in the middle of a large gun battle between the police and the bad guys, after the scene was supposedly secure.

Default California...

I wore a vest in the 1992 LA riots and my old agency
    still has them on the rigs. Wearing the body armour
    should be accomplied with SOP/SOGs.

There is more to it than "just putting one on" and
    feeling safe.

It is required of my old FD that the vest be completely
    covered with a wildland or turnout coat. You should
    NEVER give away the fact that you have one on.

There was also a "Street Smart" class that was manadory
    before you wore the vest.

Please email if you have any questions.

The thing I would like to know is what would OSHA and NFPA think. Also, how many people here buy their own or have the dept pay for one?. How many people use the police raid vest. Do anyone think that OSHA and NFPA should mandate bullet proof vest and stab vest?.

My belief is that bullet proof vest and stab vest should be a mandatory equipment on all rigs and appuratus just like the turn out coat and latex gloves. It's one of those things that can save your life when u r in a hairy situation

Thread Information