55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Where were the Parents?

I've been doing this crazy world of Fire/Rescue/EMS for 46 years now. Everything rolls off my back like water. Almost. The evening of 7/3/04 was an almost. Little after 19:00, Water Rescue Call toned out. 35 miles South, 2 counties away, divers are needed for a search. I hit the street with my neighbor Jan, a member of our County's dive team,(I do all Tech Rescue except Dive, I'm usually a line tender for a Diver) and we head South. After arriving, an impromptu briefing provided the information that we were looking for a 3 YEAR OLD! The child had arrived, with his family, by boat to a cookout at the home of family friends. Everyone was relaxing around the Patio, the child slipped away and apparently headed for the boat. No one heard or saw anything, but someone noticed the child was not there. An immediate 911 call, an immediate search by neighbors, family and friends, and the start of an effort that eventually included 8 Fire Departments, 4 Law enforcement agencies, 3 Dive Teams, The US Coast Guard, and the Maryland State Police Helicopter. At 23:30, with the tidal currents changing, Darkness, and the chance of a Thundershower, everyone stood down until 08:00 the next morning (Sunday 7/4). Another large effort thru the morning and the child's body was found in the early afternoon. The Family is heartbroken, of course. But in our own way, so are we. Good news is, I rarely run one of these, bad news is, this was one too many.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I can say nothing more than: "I am truly sorry".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

How horribly tragic. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope I never have to see a dead child. That would be awfully tough.

Thread Information