MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Pain is not a symtom…

How do you deal with your provider to get things fixed? Do all of you have to live with an handful of nuisance problems that COULD be fixed easily but the system doesn’t care about pain because they can’t see it?

Do you have to spout like Yosemite Sam to get any satisfaction?

Personally, I recently had to wait 3 months to have my elbow looked at by an orthopedic. ( I had to have a nutty to keep them from canceling and pushing it out another 3 months) I have a little 1/4” nubby-something floating under the elbow’s skin that causes intense pain when bumped. I can move it all about, I just want it out.

By the time my appointment came around, the pain had subsided but will be back next time I bump it, and will last weeks.

This quack is saying taking it out is the last resort, only when they balloon up. He wants to dope me up with anti-inflams then cortisone shots, even after I told him it has NEVER been inflamed, just intense, distracting pain with slightest pressure.

I can’t take anti-inflams because I have a fissure (that they also don’t want to fix) than bleeds if I take blood thinners like anti-inflames.

He said to use elbow pads but when I remarked I don’t have time to put on elbow pads when a call comes in, AND I told him the slightest pressure (like from a pad!) sends sho0ting pain this stooge laughed at me and walked out.

I’m considering taking it out myself and sending it to him in an unmarked envelope. ..

Have you been there?

Forum Member

It's called "managed care" and is the result of what happens when the "bean counters" are allowed to run your health insurance providers.

One of my fellow Captains had to wait 6 weeks to have knee surgery because of a question of who was going to pay for a MRI scan...something that a simple phone call could have handled, but no... the "bean counters" wanted to wait to see if he felt better after a while... this after the ortho surgeon said he needed surgery. He was out a total of 14 weeks on IOD leave.

Meanwhile, it cost the City more $$$ in paying overtime and out of grade pay on top of his salary and medical expenses....

Penny wise, dollar foolish....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information