Forum Member

Default GI Joe and Baseball ?

sounds like allot of something about nothing, wonder how our people in uniform feel about it..
    SB (Local 1355 retired)

Forum Member

Clarification, please.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Sr. Information Officer

Post Clarification

Peace Groups Criticize Twins Giveaway

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Several peace groups are demanding the Minnesota Twins abandon plans to give G.I. Joe action figures to 5,000 children as part of a team promotion honoring local military personnel.

The Minnesota Twins will present Duke, "the calm and determined battlefield commander of the G.I. Joe team," at Monday night's game against the Kansas City Royals in the first patriotic giveaway in the major leagues this season.

"I think the Twins are way off base with this idea," said John Varone, a Vietnam veteran and president of the Twin Cities chapter of Veterans for Peace. "For gosh sakes, the last place we need to promote war is at our national pastime."

The Twins say Joe isn't glorifying war, but celebrating the efforts of servicemen and women. As part of that mission, the team asked Duke's maker, Hasbro Inc., to remove the customary gun from his side. Hand grenades are still visible.

"I know there are people who are adamant about opposition to the war, but this is not about politics," Twins marketing vice president Patrick Klinger said.

The Twins will also admit current and former military personnel and their families at half price Monday, as part of what the Twins call Armed Services Appreciation Day. Gov. Tim Pawlenty will attend a flag ceremony before the first pitch.

The Twins' first such day was held last year, just before the Iraq invasion, when a soldier from Minnesota threw out the first ball to a fellow soldier from the state. The throw and catch occurred in Kuwait and were broadcast to Minnesota at the beginning of the game.

"I looked around the ballpark that night and there were tears everywhere," Klinger said. "It was the highlight of my career."

Still, more than one peace group believes the G.I. Joe giveaway is a big mistake and want the Twins to cancel the promotion.

"It's not a credible way to honor those who've suffered the inhumanity of war," said Phil Steger, executive director of Friends for a Non-Violent World, a St. Paul-based group with about 4,000 members in Minnesota.

Klinger stands by his decision to go with the military figure.

"I was looking for something unique that would pay tribute to Minnesota soldiers," he said. "I thought G.I. Joe was perfect for that."

Reacting to the discontent of the peace groups, the Minnesota National Guard threw its support squarely behind the Twins.

"We're sorry that a small number of Minnesotans are offended by the doll and don't see it as the tribute that it really is," said Col. Denny Shields, a spokesman for the Guard.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Darn Hippies....

Thursday, July 1, 2004
    Appeasement Activists Furious About G.I. Joe

Appeasement groups are fighting mad: To honor the troops, the Minnesota Twins are giving G.I. Joe action figures to 5,000 children.

The baseball team plans to present Duke, "the calm and determined battlefield commander of the G.I. Joe team," at the game Monday night, the day after Independence Day, in what the Associated Press today called "the first patriotic giveaway in the major leagues this season."

Uh oh. If something is branded as patriotic, you know the whining will begin.
    "It's not a credible way to honor those who've suffered the inhumanity of war," moaned Phil Steger, executive director of something called Friends for a Non-Violent World.

"I think the Twins are way off base with this idea. For gosh sakes, the last place we need to promote war is at our national pastime," grumbled John Varone of a group that dubs itself Veterans for Peace.

Another one of the anti-choice groups is called Women Against Military Madness.

The Twins have already partly caved by asking Hasbro Inc. to strip Duke of his customary tiny toy gun. "Hand grenades are still visible," AP advised.

Patrick Klinger, the Twins' vice president of marketing, said, "I know there are people who are adamant about opposition to the war, but this is not about politics."

The team also plans to offer half-price admission to military personnel and veterans and their families Monday. So far there are no reports of complaints about that, but the day is still young.

Friday, July 2, 2004
    Appeasers Keep Raging as Minnesota Twins Stick With G.I. Joe

Sorry, loony left: The Minnesota Twins say they won't give G.I. Joe the boot.

Despite pressure from several anti-choice appeasement groups in the P.C.-crazed Minneapolis area, the team will present the action figure to 5,000 lucky children at the game Monday with the Kansas City Royals.

"We are absolutely going forward with the promotion," said Patrick Klinger, the team's vice president of marketing.
    "It really is intended to pay tribute to the soldiers, those infantry people who are serving the country here and abroad. We wanted to pay tribute to the real G.I. Joes and G.I. Janes serving the country," he said.

The team has included this salute on the toy's packaging: "The Minnesota Twins salute these courageous men and women, past and present, who put their lives on the line to defend our country and assist us in times of need."

Mary Beaudoin, a leader of something that dubs itself Women Against Military Madness, raged to the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "This is hideous a bad message to send kids. Kids need to be raised with the values of life, not killing."

Col. Denny Shields, a spokesman for the Minnesota National Guard, said, "We're sorry that a small number of Minnesotans are offended by the doll and don't see it as the tribute that it really is."
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Okay... and they should be giving away baseball bats on Bat Day, because bats are made of wood and endanger the forest....

They should be giving out basebals on Ball day, as the covers are made of cowhide, which comes from cows, and we all know how PTEA feels about that

Maybe they shouldn't sell hot dogs and beer, as it promotes the use of animal products and could start someone on the road to alcoholism... are tofu dogs and grass juice an acceptable substitute?

Isn't sarcasm wonderful!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ Agitator

I hate hippies...they are worse than Illinois Nazis...and I hate Illinois Nazis!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

We're on a mission from God

Well I said "Then I guess your up sh*t creek and then.." Owww, stupid penguin!

Thread Information