Forum Member

Default Your tax money at work..

Here is one of Clinton/Gores government computer programs for schools and Kerry wants more money for schools too ?.. (thanks to Rush for pointing it out)
    http://www.chiptaylor.org/misc/2004/...e_follies.html
    Last edited by StoveBolt; 07-05-2004 at 03:45 PM.
    SB (Local 1355 retired)

Forum Member

Now you see right here we have just a few examples of why we do not need to raise taxes as much as ensure that money is spent appropriately and responsibly. In this manner we could either reduce the federal tax burden (which the libs would never allow to happen) or use it to reduce the federal deficit (which neither the libs or the conservatives would allow to happen.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Every Presidential administration has thrown money at the altar of education. Sometimes it is spent wisely...other times.... not.

Here in Massachusetts, the big issue is charter schools. In a nutshell.. a charter school is a private school paid for with public funds. It costs the community an average of $7 to 9K if a parent opts to send their child to a charter school... paid for by the taxpayers. Part of the charter school deal is that they are autonomous and do not answer to the school committee of the community. They do not have to answer to the taxpayer.

One charter school in Framingham promised the world... and has yet to deliver. To fund the charter school, Framingham had to close one school completely, further burdening the existing schools to absorb the kids who were not accepted to the charter school. They may have to close another one, yet the charter schools is allowed to continue despite their lack of acheivement, due to their autonomy.

Our Governor, Republican Mitt Romney, is in favor of this...

PS: I went the private school route with my son from Kindergarten through Grade 1. We were paying for "a better education", but not getting it in return. We placed my son in the public school system starting with 2nd grade, now he is going to be a Junior at UMass Dartmouth and he is on the Dean's List.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-05-2004 at 11:03 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

But overall teh children attending charter schools are doing the same if not bettter than those attending "traditional" cchools. This is why the twits at the Mass. Teachers Association are against them. It is about their jobs, not improving the lot for the children whom they instruct.

The same goes for the vast majority of private schools. While some are bad many are better than public schools, and they do it for a lot less money.

The Mass. legislature is against charter schools because they are in the pockets of the MTA (go figure Dems cowtowing to unions instead what is best for the indivisual citizens that elect them.)

Money is not the only answer to the destruction of the puclic school system in this country, it is the lack of accountability within those schools systems. In the town of Lunenburg, MA just a few miles from Marlborough the last superintendent of schools was convicted of stealing over $400,000 from the town and schools. Where was the accountability there? If a school is not performing up to its expectations then it needs to revisited, just as the failing public school system needs to be revisited or else they will continue to dumb down America.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Dismantle That Program!!!............

Shut it down! Dismantle it! Now!! That money could be better used in funding the F.I.R.E. Act programs................ I mean, we need more Federal money for Exercise equipment. OK, Where do we really need to go? The comment about "Throwing money at Education" is right on target. I hear it here locally all the time, "If we spend more money, it will get better". WRONG. When parents send the kids to school properly motivated to learn, THEN it will get better. It's not about MONEY, it's about ATTITUDE. 2 Examples: 1. Capt. Gonzo's comment about his son. A success story which came because parents cared and guided their son in the right direction. Kudos to Gonz. 2. Kid's remark overheard in a Mall here last winter, weekday about 1pm. "Yo man, you ain't in school? how you get away wit dat?" "Mom don't care, they don't learn me right about nuthin'" I wanted so desperately to find mom and put my foot up..... You get the idea. I don't blame the kid, not with mom's attitude, assuming that what I heard was the true story. The kids seemed to be around 14, no clue why the second one was out that day.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Thank you for the compliment, Harve. In my case, the parochial school my son attended was not living up to the standards that I believed they did. He was lumped in with 4 other kids as "underachievers"... it's funny, but out of the "gang of 5", all of them went to our public school system, 4 are in college, the other is the manager of a flower shop and doing quite well for herself.

Parental involvement is the key. The kids you heard at the mall must be the same ones that Bill Cosby overheard.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    . just as the failing public school system needs to be revisited or else they will continue to dumb down America.

My public school scores between 1300 and 1400 on the PSSA tests,this is above the state average. Not all public schools are failing and not all educators are money hungry. My local union has NEVER struck. Our last two contracts have been settled as "early-birds"...with no friction.

I understand how individuals could be upset with their local public school...I'm not going to pretend that there aren't problems. I will also say there a host of reasons for the "dumbing down of America"...do not include me as one of them.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Additionally:

If the individuals that elect public officials would give us our paddles back, perhaps increased progress would be shown in the more troubled public schools.

E6511

Forum Member

Finally:

I believe pop culture has played some role in the "dumbing down of America". Youngsters are influenced by what they see and hear. From "Skater Boys" to..............."Bart Simpson" , the "dumbing down of America" has become chic...cool...and somewhat representative of some youngsters' attitudes toward being educated.
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 07-07-2004 at 12:51 AM.

E6511

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Thank You..........

Stayback, being more articulate than I, said what I was trying to get to. Thanks.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

E6511

Forum Member

The public school system across the nation has decreased in its ability to educate and prepare children for the challenges and necessities of life. We teach peace, love, happiness, diversity, but not math, linguistic skills, or basic science. Ever watch Jay Walking on the Tonight Show? I know it is not a great indicator but it is one example of many that display how dumb our younger generations (sad to say my own is included - I am 30) really are.

Parents couldn't care less, in general, to be involved with their children's education. You are right pop culture is hugely responsible, but so is society for "idolizing" celebrities with 5 minute marriages, 10 kids out of marriage, Winona Ryder shoplifting, and everything else. Kob Bryant is still cool because he can run around and cheat on his wife (no criticism of that is there?) while thousands of children look up to him. (I couldn't care less if he "sexually assaulted" her or not as he hasn't been convicted of it so it is a moot point" but he did cheat on his wife and no one cares. Call me a prude but this sets a dangerous example to young children and it is our responsibility to educate children in the wrongs in society but we fail to do so.

You are right, Bart Simpson may be a bad influence on children, but the Simpsons was never intended as a children's cartoon (I am more partial to Homer but your point is well made and understood.) Most of the humor is a bit sophisticated for many children to totally understand and grasp all of it. This is where parental control and restrictions come in to reduce the influence of "pop culture." When I see a freaking 12 year old walking to school in a skirt that short enough to show her butt cheeks or with words written across her butt on a pair of shorts showing off her belly button ring - we have gone too far in allowing pop culture to influence our children.

You seem intelligent enough to understand a generalization and it was not a direct insult. I say the same thing when my sister-in-law is around and she works as a teacher in the public schools. My other sister-in-law works as "teacher's aide" for the public schools back in Mass. A test does not mean one is intelligent however - any test ASVAB, GRE, MCAT, GMAT, PSSA, SAT, whatever the alphabet is. I can teach anyone to pass a test, it is done in life all the time but it is only ONE measuring stick and relatively weak one at the. I do not say this to upset you, but this is how I feel and I make no apologies for it.

In Boston, one teacher dimed out her principal for giving answers to the MCAT to students (MCAT is the Mass. public school exam). She has been "laid off," and an "investigation is underway."

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=32999
    http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=32463
    http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=32343

Most teachers are hard working and dedicated to ensuring that their students do learn what is necessary. However, many leave within the first few years of the job because of "low pay", pressure from more experienced educators, union stupidity, lack of creativity in curriculum, outdated curriculum, poor conditions of buildings, and a host of other reasons. There is no standard of education out there. Everyone teaches a hundred different programs and curriculums so explain to me how one is supposed to measure, accurately, how a school is truly performing.

When the New York City and Washington DC public school systems spend over $10,000 per year to educate one child I have to wonder where all the money is going? In Cincinatti, OH (I believe) the teacher's union fought the city's voucher program for children to attend private schools instead of the miserable public schools. It was found out that something like 70 - 80 percent of the teachers with children were sending their own kids to private schools - what does that say to anyone about the state of public education - if only in one city?

About striking - you are right. In Massachusetts it is illegal for teachers to strike but it happens all of the time. That makes you a criminal. Boom, you go to jail, you violated your union contract - you're fired. To bad, so sad, have a nice day. And to kick it all off they always scream - and I love this - "We are doing it for the children" After I dust myself off from rolling on the floor laughing so hard I always say "then why is the sticking point always money for you?

The Boston teacher's union is one of the most notorious for doing this too and every few years no one does anything so kids start school alter, miss days, inconvenience parents, kids attend later in the year further inconveniencing parents. Yup, it is all for the children.....

If the individuals that elect public officials would give us our paddles back, perhaps increased progress would be shown in the more troubled public schools.
    I agree. Schools, teachers, principal, assistant principals are afraid to discipline children now. The useless ACLU will take up the fight and sue the district so precious little Johnny can go back to school and bully the teachers and backtalk to them and insult them - this is unsatisfactory. Parents won't or can't discipline their children so why would they let the school do it.

In the city of Leominster, MA a few years ago the school department's budget took over 70 percent of the city's money. And the schools still stink, are still overcrowded, and the kids are always having half days and full days off for "teacher professional development." Screw it, year long school is now the rule, no 3 months off in the Summer, no more nonsense. If we want to get "serious" about education, then lets quit playing stupid little games, tell the truth, and do what is truly right "for the children" and my tax dollars.

End of rant, for now. Again, I make no apologies for how I feel or what I say, these are my thoughts and opinions and THAT is what makes this country great, the right to express my opinions. For 228 years and counting.........
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 07-07-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Forum Member

Charter schools are wrong. I dont belive that the taxpayer should put other peoples children in private schools when they coudlnt afford to put there own children in a private school first.

We really need to stop shoveing liberal ideas of love,peace and love everybody because they are different down childrens throats.

As a graduate of the DANVERS SCHOOL SYSTEM I was lucky because I was in the last class to have a engineering and woodshop program. When I first entered HS the tech program was a mere shadow if its self from when it was its peak in the 80's. Spot welders and crimpers stood idle at the sound of a bean counters pen. We had Wood1/2,Engineering,archtecture,CAD and Home improvement. In my last year the only thing that was left was wood 1 and engineering hanging on by a string. All the shops but one had been turned in to chorus rooms. Chorus is a joke,all they ever honestly did was sit around and talk.
    In engineering we built hovercrafts that could carry 4 people across a room with just a piece of plywood,trash bags,leaf blower and acourse duct tape. We built so many machines that tackled pretty complex problems and designed soulutions of our OWN..some worked some didnt....we FAILED sometimes and learned how to draw them on paper and computer----ahhhh whats this......JOB SKILLS!!!!!
    Home improvement you learned basic electrical,small engine and plumbing skills that were quiet handy.
    In wood you made things with your hands and sold them.......so the program was self sustaining + made a profit.....and you learned what........JOB/BUSINESS SKILLS!!!!
    Archtecture and CAD you learned.....JOB SKILLS!!!!!
    Computer tech.........JOB SKILLS!!!!
    Culinary art/sewing......JOB/HOMEMAKER/LIFESKILLS!!!!!

All of these are gone.......accept computer tech and wood 1 and they will be gone by 05. All to be replaced by music rooms under the current plan! Funny thing is though the,our school funding has gone up!

Well kids of future classes.....once you pass the MCAS........sing for your supper, because thats about the only thing your going to be able to do.
    Last edited by stm4710; 07-07-2004 at 02:39 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Charter schools are wrong. I dont belive that the taxpayer should put other peoples children in private schools when they coudlnt afford to put there own children in a private school first.
    OK then give me a tax break for putting my children into the private schools. If I do that it lessens the burden on the public school system, reduces the overcrowding, and makes the teacher's job easier. Take my tax bill, cut it by whatever percent the school system takes from the municipal budget and give it back to me so I can pay for school. The same thing if I choose to homeschool my children.

Allow for me to spend $2,000 to take my children to the Museum of Science to teach them about the environment, electricity, and space travel.

Let me take them to the aquarium to teach them about ecology, anatomy, evolution, extinction, and the wonders of the ocean deep.

Let me be accountable for the education of my children.

Take money away from the schools, take away their power and make them accountable. Competition is a great motivator for someone to do better than another. Let the public schools that are failing prove that they are more deserving of the privilege and honor of educating my child and that they can do it better than someone else can. Then, and only then, will I entrust them with AIDING in preparing my children to succeed in life.

You know things have gone wrong when schools do not keep score out of fear of harming precious little Johnny's ego for life. When no valedictorians are selected because the additional stress of going for higher grades is too much for the little darlings to bear. When there is no wrong answer, only what you feel is right. When children are not expelled for bringing weapons to schools. When phonics - used for decades - is dropped by public school systems across the nation for unproven and ineffective teaching methods. When "new math" is used to replace the "old math" which has been taught and effectively proven for decades. When children are passed on to the next grade for fear of overcrowding, parental response, "harming the child's ego", or any other reason. When colleges have to offer remedial English classes to incoming freshman because the schools have failed in educating them. When you are required to take 2 years of a "foreign language" but they can't even speak the primary language of English first.

This is where my mistrust for the educational system has come from. All I have to do is look at society and the lowering of standards to see that education needs an overhaul.

As for shop and "industrial arts" this is very much a needed area for children. The inate differences between males and females is that men are technically oriented and need to be stimulated as such. This is why most mechanics, electricians, plumbers, and contractors are male - it is not just gender roles playing into things here.

Music is great and I am thankful that I had it growing up, but there are other things out there. And charter schools are not private schools. They get funding from the school department but as teh Capt. said, they are not accountable to them, nor are the teachers usually union members - this of course ticks off the teacher's union and thus why they are against it.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 07-07-2004 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie

OK then give me a tax break for putting my children into the private schools. If I do that it lessens the burden on the public school system, reduces the overcrowding, and makes the teacher's job easier. Take my tax bill, cut it by whatever percent the school system takes from the municipal budget and give it back to me so I can pay for school. The same thing if I choose to homeschool my children.

Allow for me to spend $2,000 to take my children to the Museum of Science to teach them about the environment, electricity, and space travel.

Let me take them to the aquarium to teach them about ecology, anatomy, evolution, extinction, and the wonders of the ocean deep.

Let me be accountable for the education of my children.
    DaSharkie... what are you doing? Flying first class back to Beantown to go to the MOS and the New England Aquarium?
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

DaSharkie... what are you doing? Flying first class back to Beantown to go to the MOS and the New England Aquarium?
    Good one Cap, but no I hate flying so I am renting a chauffered Rolls to drive me from Durham.

By the way, that $2,000 is cheap, have you seen what it costs to park to go to the MOS or the aquarium? Let alone the admission prices. Sheesh, you almost need to get another mortgage to take the family there.

Forum Member

Sharkie...

Back when my son was a "little guy", we would get passes at the Marlborough Public Library for the mueseums , drop wifey and child of at the museum of choice and I would park at the one of the firehouses in the area. The biggest expense was lunch and tolls on the Mass Pike!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I always felt weird about parking at one of the Boston houses. I just felt that I wasn't a Boston firefighter then I shouldn't try and park at a Boston firehouse.

When I was working on the ambulance though, I always thought about parking in the ambulance slots in front of the dialasis center on Hanover St. in the North End so we could get to Mike's Pastry. Mmmmmmmmmm, Mike's Pastries......... Escuse me as I wipe the drool off of my chin.

I have only seen "discounted" coupons for the aquarium lying around. The MOS is actually fairly affordable adn I think that they are redoing parts to update it. That's OK though, I bet parking is really going to be bear in about 3 weeks and it will cost an absolute fortune.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 07-08-2004 at 08:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

a very good friend of mine is a teacher in california. she teaches high school english, mostly juniors and seniors. half of hte kids don't understand what an essay is, and the other half couldn't write an complete sentence to save their life. my friend gets in trouble from school admin when a kid came back without an assignment done, back-talked teh teacher when she called him on it, and then went crying home to mommy and daddy about "the mean teacher."

how the hell is the next generation going to survive if mommy and daddy fight alltheir battles for them, and let them grow up thinking that they can do anythign they want? (and i can say this, as i am only 26, and part of this is my generation)
    IACOJ
    "May the gods be between you and the darkness in all the empty places in which you must walk." Ancient Blessing

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

As stm4710 stated above schools used to teach job skills. This is slowly slipping away in my county also. I called about a teaching position at the local middle school just to see what a Tech I & II teacher had to do. The response was that the class that used to teach metal work, wood work, and drafting had been turned into a LEGO based program. That's right LEGOs! The little toy blocks that we used to play with as kids. Seems that the kids build robots from LEGO parts and then program them to do things. The problem I have with that is that teaching a toy program to a middle school student is a waste of time. I know the arguments for it but still why not get some computer controled shop tools and let them make something. I see it all the time. Kids that can look up everything on the internet but can't count change back at BK or Wal-Mart or tell time on a clock with hands.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Sharkie - You do raise some very valid points...the statement that I quoted (the one about the public schools dumbing down America) really fired me up as I believe the dumbing of America should not be placed soooo generally on the public schools.

Self-esteem and other "nice-nice" policies have been crammed down our throats by the government (along with standardized tests). If one took the time I give up for standardized tests and allowed me to use it for teaching...well, a lot could be learned.

I love my job and will defend what I do anytime, anywhere. My classroom door is ALWAYS open for anyone to see how I educate my children. I'm not perfect...but I do "Get 'Er Done."

E6511

Forum Member

Sharkie - You do raise some very valid points...the statement that I quoted (the one about the public schools dumbing down America) really fired me up as I believe the dumbing of America should not be placed soooo generally on the public schools.
    I see where I got you fired up and that certainly was not my intention. You raise an extremely valid point that it is the lowering of standards by socirty that have allowed for that very dumbing down to occur in a variety of aspects.

"but he did cheat on his wife and no one cares. Call me a prude but this sets a dangerous example to young children and it is our responsibility to educate children in the wrongs in society but we fail to do so."

I was thinking the same thing...when I see him on TV and see girls holding up signs that say "we love Kobe" or hear the mass approval he gets everytime he walks into a crowd I just wonder what exactly he did that deserves such appluade...he cheated on his wife...why are people condoning that!

It's funny, Kobe cheats on his wife and he gets a general approval from fans...Our former president Bill cheats on his wife and the nation is shocked and outraged, they expected better from the man leading our nation...then why dont they expect more from the "role modles" our kids are looking up to!?

Forum Member

clinton also taught us a new use for a cigar
    SB (Local 1355 retired)

Forum Member

It's funny, Kobe cheats on his wife and he gets a general approval from fans...
    Its ok, have you seen the ring he bought her.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information