Iranfromthezoo

Default Another light topic

Okay guys, I got another light topic for you guys, but not your usual light question. What do you guys do for scene lights. I mean at our station we have scene lights on two trucks, the resucue and engine. Plus tanker. I was wondering what ya`ll us. Do you have spotlights or big ole floodlights. Also do you carry flashlights in your trucks, and if so what kind are they, and how do you keep them charged. I know a weird topic but just wondering. Our FD is in bad need of the flashlights. BTW. be honest, how many of you, when you saw this topic, said oh crap not another one.

Forum Member

Well, all of our engines have spotlights, like 4 to an engine that can be used in their respective, stationary, but adjustable position.

Our rescue has a 6000 Watt Light Tower that gets the job done definetly, there are also portable spotlights that are mounted on the back of the rescue and work there until moved elsewhere.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

good topic-we really don't have any scene lights on our trucks....yet...we are in the process of putting a 5kw gen on our rescue. Also could use input on what to use for lighting. As far as flashlights we have a couple of Streamlite litebox's mounted in the trucks, we wired up the chargers so that a cord can be plugged into a recpt. on the side of the truck at the station.

Forum Member

Forgot to mention that every seat on every peice of apparatus has a handlight.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Forum Member

On our first out engine we have 5 light boxes (make and model unknown at this time) and two telescoping lights on either side of the pump panel for scene lighting. The light boxes are in the cab and sit on built in chargers that come straight off the battery chager for the truck. The two scene lights are powered by a honda generator. In addition we have 4 flood lights in the truck with 100 feet of cord each that the generator can also run...too bad we don't have stands for them, wasting a lot of money on duct tape to mount them at the scene.

On both of our first in engines, we have two telescoping lights on either side of the pump panel, plus browlights and the like on the fronts.

Both of our rescues have 4 telescoping lights on each corner. We also have portable work lights that run into the generator on the big rescue. Of those, we have 6.

For personal flashlights, every truck carries at least 1 Streamlight 'Fire Vulcan' hand ligh. Our engines each have two and the rescues have four. Each engine also has banks of six Streamlight 'Survivor' lights. All firefighters are issued Garrity Life Lites for their helmets, but most have broken theirs/don't use em and don't bother to get replacements because they're not all that great(so I hear).

Everything is charged directly off the battery charger on the truck.

Another note: For mobile scene lighting that is beyond the capability of your cord reels for the generator, we have portable lights powered by honda generators. One on each engine for interior lighting and the like in structures.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

Forum Member

Originally posted by JuniorHero
    Everything is charged directly off the battery charger on the truck.
    Ditto, I now officially think that I answered the question, took me a span of like 3 or 4 hours, not staring at this post of course that whole time, but yeah.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Sr. Information Officer

Lighting is a safety concern! The rescue unit has two telescoping 1500 watt floods, 4-1000 watt fixed floods and 6 500 watt portables. Engines have 2-1000 watt adjustable floods and 4-6 500 watt portables. Each FF position has a streamlight available.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Our latest engine/rescue has five responder flashlights and three liteboxes. All have 12 volt chargers. Six 12 volt scene lights. 2 each side of truck. One over front and one over rear compt. Also have two on on back of truck. Four removable telescoping tripod lights (120 volt 750 watt). Two on back of cab and two on rear of truck. Two 1000 or 1500 watt
    240 volt focus lights recessed into attic compt. above rear wheels.One brow light 1000 or 1500 watt 240 volt. All driven with a 10kw hydraulic generator.
    Our other two engines have the same flashlight setup. Only scene lights a these trucks or two telescoping 12 volt night-fighter lights, along with two fixed spotlights on the rear of the truck the swivel up and down, and side to side.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Dept.
    Engine 3 (1994 KME)
    - 2 Streamlight Lite boxes
    - 2 Mag lights
    - 1 Federal Signal Night-Fighter 3 Lamp Spot/Flood light on 4' telescoping mount.

All hand lights are DC wired to chassis w/ on board Batt. charger to shoreline

Tanker 3 (2000 KME)
    - 2 Streamlight Lite boxes
    - 1 500 Watt Flood Light on telescopic mount (unknown make).

All hand lights are DC wired to chassis w/ on board Batt. charger to shoreline

Pumper 3 (1984 FMC)
    - 2 Cab mounted Spot Lights
    - 1 FRC flood light on telescopic mount

Rescue Squad (EMS Agency)

Med 3 (2002 Wheeled Coach)
    - 2 Mag Lights
    - 2 Streamlight Lite Boxes
    - In-Cab hand held flood light (1 Million CP)
    - 6 Body mounted 12VDC scene lights (2 each side & 2 rear)
    All hand lights DC wired to chassis w/ on board batt charger to shoreline.

Med 3B (1996 National)
    - 2 Mag Lights
    - In-Cab hand held flood light (1 Million CP)
    All hand lights DC wired to chassis w/ on board batt charger to shoreline.

Response 3 (2003 Tahoe)
    - 2 Mag Lights
    - Take Down & Alley Lights in Light Bar

Crash 3 (1997 National 14' Medium Duty)
    - 2 500 Watt Fixed Mounted Telescoping Lights on front of body
    - 2 500 Watt Removable (Tripod) Telescoping Lights on rear of body
    - 2 250 Watt portable light heads

Shameless plug - pics available at: http://n2dfire.tripod.com/stationbio.html
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

You can never have enough scene lights.

Our oldest engine has some whimpy old lights that are 12 volt and can be turned to where you want it. They can switch from spot to flood.

The other engine has two Whelen square halogen flood lights on each side of the body and two on the back. (900 series type for those that want to be technical). It also has two of those triple head spot/flood arrays by the pump panel that can be moved around.

Our tanker is has 4 big ol'e whelen scene lights on each side and two more in the rear. I think it can provide more light than the two engines combined.

Our old rescue has (4) 500 watt AC flood lights, one on each corner of the box. They are good and bright but are old (1990). They can lift up and spin around to aim them. It has some whimpy 12 stuff too.

Thew new soon-to-arrive rescue is basicly is rolling daylight. The latest and greats air mast on the roof is like the Sun Rise. You can raise it up and move it around. It has AC and DC scene lights all the way around the body. You can probably see it from the moon. In fact, if you aim it at the moon, you could probably light that up too.

The disadvantage of this.... Once the cops see it, we will be at every accident they have to investigate! I don't mind though, brownie points when when we need them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Our rescue truck has scene lights on both side 2 on both I do believe, and on the rear we have 2 tripod lights, and inside we have an additional 2 old lights and 3 big flashlights. all powered off a generator on the truck that gets its fuel from the truck itself.

Our Squads have scene lights

Our Main engine has non-removable lights and 2 flashlights, and cab mounted spot lights.

The mini pumper has 1 flashlight and 2 tripod lights, which is ran off the generator.

Our tanker has 1 flashlight and scene lights on both sides and the rear.

All flashlights have a chager on what ever truck there on just pop them in and they charge.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

No, this is not an oversized handlight. Just a great concept we've been using for about 8-10 years.

Extenda-Lite® Generator Lights are mounted on the all-new, super-quiet Honda EU1000i Generator, delivering 1,000 watts of power to either the standard 500-watt, UL listed, Stonco light head or the 650-watt, UL listed, North Star light head. The 500-watt, Stonco light head with switch, draws 4.5 amps and has an output of 16,850 lumens. The 650-watt, North Star light head, with switch, draws 6.5 amps and has an output of 25,000 lumens. Both lights are mounted on a heavy-duty bracket and are prewired with a 5 - 15 household plug. When not in use, the lighthead folds down to face the generator for maximum protection and compact storage.

I've been spoiled.

When I first joined our smallest generator was the 3500w one on the 1973 Engine-Tank joined by the 5kw units on the Rescue & Ladder. Only the water supply engine lacked 120v lighting. Always had a lot of lights around.

The worse case was our old rescue, had to turn off the lights, then start the electric Hurst tool, then you could turn back on a couple (one on the truck usually & one portable 500w light).

Today all our apparatus are 120v generator equipped, all remote-start except the big hydraulic one on the Rescue and the pull-start one on the 1978 Engine-Tank whose replacement is under constuction. For everyone else, as you pull up to the scene, flip the switch and voila you can see.

Flashlights:
    Since sometime around 1993 we've been using Streamlight LiteBoxes and have a ton of them -- something like one for every airpack, 110v chargers that run off shoreline and/or truck generator.

Personal lights we still buy ourselves for those who want them...I have a 10+ year old Streamlight Survivor...gosh those newer survivors & Big Ed look nice...gosh I'm a cheap bastard, too
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

dazed and confused

Originally posted by E229Lt
    No, this is not an oversized handlight. Just a great concept we've been using for about 8-10 years.
    Any problems with these Lt? I've always been intrigued by them, but I've never had a chance to use one, and I don't know any departments around here that use them either.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Resq,

My department has two of those Honda generator lights like the Lt.

They're pretty good in their effectiveness. We use em at accidents and in structures. Maintain them good(check, clean, and refuel after every incident) and they'll work for awhile. Our's have been around for like 8 years.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Any problems with these Lt?
    Only two. CO must be monitored at interior ops and they seem to blow the breaker when using the light and a sawzall at the same time.

dazed and confused

They seem like a great idea to me. Thanks for the info, hopefully we'll pick one up one of these days!
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Shoot, reminds me I meant to add this originally regarding the portable generators...

Our State Fire Marshal's office prefers they not be used, but if they are you record where they were used, especially set down.

For that matter they want recorded where you use any gasoline-powered tool (chainsaw, K-12, maybe a fan in an odd situation) inside the structure.

Reason is so that they can be explained as a source of flammable liquid contamination. Their dogs have been known to alert on spots these generators have sat (especially if someone spilled gas on the outside while fueling). It's really no big deal as long as they can document where the equipment was used so a defense attorney doesn't try to spring up on them in court, "Really? How can you be sure the gas didn't come from this generator why I have a picture of it inside the building right here..." type of deal. Also means if the dog alerts where they already know a generator had been sitting, they don't necessarily have to bother taking a sample for the lab.

Their other request is that equipment get fueled by the pump operator or someone else whose only working on the outside -- they've had firefighters contaminate the scene with gasoline tracked in our their boots.

It's not something to be obsessed over, just another consideration to be concious of.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

We have Flood Lights on Our Front Run Pumper and First Out Tanker....Pumper Floods are powered by 5kw Generator..As for flashlights...Pumper has enough for everyone minus driver to have one...So 5 Flashlights..And every other truck has 2 or 3..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information