Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile First Responder?

I'm curious about being a certified First Responder, What are the age requirements to become one? Are there any explorers/cadets out there certified? My post is about a year old, still new, with 6 members (3 that are able to ride out). We mostly observe on calls. Would becoming certified as a First Responder be beneficial or a waist of time? Also, where do you find a class to take?
    Thanks!
    Whitney

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

personally from what ive seen from depts around the country is that they are wanting people to have their EMT when they apply. it seems that the first responder is being phased out and emt-b is the new thing everyone wants. if you are planning on becomming a firefighter later on in life, i would skip the first responder and get the emt-b

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

it's interesting that you bring this up. My chief is looking into getting all Firefighters/Jr. Firefighters First Responder Certified, because of all the MVA's we see in our mutual aid area. I've been thinking of getting my EMT-B, but am unsure of this.

I believe the requirement for First Responder in NJ is 16 or 17, it's one of them.

Yet, I would probably just get all these certs when i go into the Army. Army Firefighters are suppose to get a good amount of certs from their training.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

I know in PA EMT is age 16. I was always told it was 18 because that's the age required to drive an ambulance, but then I found out it was 16 when the local community college sent me an application and information on their EMT course. Oh well.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

Default glad to be and MRT

Well I am a first responder here in MA also a jr. ff we have it here because you can get it when you are 14 unlike the EMT-B which you have to be 18 for so for me it was worth it. I have used the skills at MVAís and special events. I think It is worth getting unless you are old enough to get your EMT-B if that is the case I would just go for the EMT-B. now as for were to take it I took the class though the fire dept. they brought in an instructor from the American red cross to tech us. Just curious is your post have the CPR and AED training for the professional rescuer because if u do the class is shorter. All in all I am very glad I got my first responder I also now get to carry a med bag in my car but that was just a perk anyway it is a great class and I would recommended that you look in to it

Whitney, to become a First Responder ("ECA" is what we call them) here in Vermont EMS District 6 you need to be 16 years old. You can take the class when you are 15 as long as you are 16 when you test, or you turn 16 shortly after. The post I'm with we have been around maybe 3 months, and we are about 3 weeks in FR right now. As a Cadet, Junior, Explorer whatever you want to call someone, the class will be helpful. I've been an "EMS Explorer" for 2 years prior to being with the department I am now, and I've learned alot even with the once a week trainings for 2, sometimes 3 hours. To go about finding a class you should be able to talk to your advisor. Our advisor was talking to our "Doc in the box" (AKA Medical Director) and he brought it to the council, etc , and we were able to have our own class for the 4 of us, plus 4 people from another department.

ftfdverbenec770 - Are you kidding me? There seems to be an increase of FRs around here. We have 2 classes going simultaneiously right now. Add another 20 of us in. Guess we aren't getting "phased out" too much. FRs are a nice tool to have when you can't roll an ambulance, or the ambulance is going to be 25 minutes out. We aren't useless, and I don't think you'll ever see us totally gone. While departments do like to see you with EMT B, most departments won't push you away. They may not want to hire you on full time, part time, etc, but you'd definately get a spot on the "Call Back" force.

Whitney, don't skip FR if you want to take it. See if they will teach the class in the modules form. This will allow you an easier transition from FR to EMT B when the time comes. Don't listen to what ftfdverbenec770 says. If you really want to be a FR, then do it. It's not a waste of time, and you'll learn alot in the process.

Up here in the good ole Great White North of Canada....You have to be 19 to take your First Responders...Reason being your insurance is with EHS Nova Scotia(Provincial Ambulance Service),there fore they don't want people under 19 having this course for insurance reasons....Anyone over 19 can take the course but its mostly used by Emergency Service Members...Our class is 40 hours and covers everything..We did a ton of scenarios during the classes...Exam was about 170 questions and we did 2 scenarios for our exam..Really good class to have
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

I called the Red Cross to find out more about the first responder course and they said that it was pretty much the same as CPR for the professional rescuer. Did the person not really know anything about the course?
    Thanks
    Whitney

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

CPR for the Professional Rescuer? that class is not basically First Responder. There is much more to First Responder than CPR for the Pro Res, and it costs much more too. That person you talked too must be stupid.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Originally posted by NeverThirst
    I called the Red Cross to find out more about the first responder course and they said that it was pretty much the same as CPR for the professional rescuer. Did the person not really know anything about the course?
    Thanks
    Whitney
    It is most definately NOT the same thing as CPR for the professional rescuer.

First Responder is a level of EMS training recognized by DOT, you can see the national standard here. In Alabama, the course is 40 hours and I think it is an outstanding prep course for higher EMS courses.

Forum Member

Some states have age limitations on EMT certifications-for mine it is 18, i am almost 20 but went ahead and got my first responder, I am now in my EMT-B class, taking FR really helped alot. If you are young get FR, and practice practice practice your praticals, so that when you get to EMT-B is is not as hard as it would be to learn it all over again.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Whoa!

Easy fella's...the most important thing is that people taking FR, AFA, EMT, etc. are taking them so they can help others in need. Each of us may have strong opinions on what level someone should have as a minimum or whether a certain certification is good enough or not but we should not over the look the fact that SOME medical training is better then NONE. I commend any and all of you young men and women who take whatever medical training they can legally get to help protect their fellow citizens, family, and friends.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Default Besides helping your fellow man.......

Take any medical cert. you can get and legally do. It never looks bad on a resume and may give you the edge someday when looking for a job.
    First Responder also gets you college credits. Its only like 1 or 2 though depending on the college.

Also I would recomend takeing FEMA's CERT program. Its free and counts for emt credits. Its a good 3 day class that is about the same skill level as an explorer has. It is heavy on the medicle and dabbles in rescue,haz mat,terrorism and firefighting. You get a card and perdy certificate and another cert. for the all important resume.

There is also a online portion you can do at home here-->> http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/is317.asp
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Red face Iím confused

I just finished my MFR class. It was 72 hours long (It counts for 3 college credits) plus you needed to have CPR and AED for the healthcare professional before the class started (through AHA). Our test was through the National Registry of EMTs. Then you apply for a medical license through the state. And because it is a medical license, you must be 18.

Correct me if Iím wrong, but it sounds like first Responder everywhere else is just a certification (like CPR or First Aid) rather than a medical license.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 08-08-2004 at 05:02 PM.

Buzz, wrong answer.

You do not have to be 18 in all other states, and it isn't just like CPR or First aid.

If you are under 18, with a parents permission you can get your medical license here in Vermont. I know many 16 and 17 year old ECAs (Our name for FR) that are functioning in the back of the ambulance, or going first response before the ambulance. While underage you need someone that is 18 or older that holds a certification equal to, or higher then your own on scene if you want to practice medicine. Of course, in some cases there are exceptions such as a life or death incident, cardiac arrest, not breathing, but generally you don't practice alone.

I'll be 16 when I get mine, I'll be a third rider with a Paramedic level service doing BLS work in the back. Any problems with that? Nope! I'll be properly medically trained, and if I'm within my scope of practice, I'm doing nothing wrong.

What does ECA stand for?

Emergency Care Attendant.

You have to be 14 to be a MRT or a first responder. Iam one and it is very useful

Uhhh what state are you in?

New York says you need to be 16 to take the first responder course, and 18 to take EMT. NJ doesn't have a first responder course, but says you can take EMT at 16. National Registry requires you to be 18 to take the test. it all varies by the state.

I would encourage anyone who can to take the EMT course when they are 16 or 17, if your state allows it. EMT is where you get to actually treat people, while first responder is pretty much "prevent the situation from getting worse until the EMTs get there." if you can, take it during your senior year of HS, when you have senioritis. most places won't let you take FF1 until you are 18, so you can have a cert that will be useful before you take FF1, and when you do turn 18, you just have to worry about FF1.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information