Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: code3

Default code3

Hey have you ever been going code 3 and you get some bubble head who does something stupid like say...cut in front of you? and you might hvae clipped another car? bus? whatever...how come people dont pay attention to the lights and sirens????tell us we would love to hear your story..

Coz the live in their own little world Kitten, I find the airhorn wakes them up a bit though
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Default honk honk honk honk ..... MOVE..!

Todays car's, light truck's, and SUV's are being built with louder sound systems and better sound insulation. The new 2005 Ford F- series trucks, for example, advertise on TV that you cannot hear sirens and air horns from the interior of the vehicle..! Nice..! Today's motorists also have a problem using their mirrors to keep a look out behind them. All of us who drive emergency vehicles have experienced the problems and there a countless opinions on how to correct it. Last year while responding to a working fire a lady on a cell phone in a Jeep SUV got between my truck and the pumper in front of me. She was actually leaning out past the pumper (running with all lights and sirens) looking for a way to pass over the solid yellow lines. She was reported to Police. She said she was home. Her cell phone records and triangled calling area confirmed she was not. The Judge through the proverbial book at her. Failure to yeild to an emergency vehicle, passing an emergency vehicle, reckless driving, speeding (proven because she was keeping up with us), and something else I've forgotten. She paid a huge fine, lost her license for a year, and lost all but two points effective upon return of the license. Stories like that warm my heart that sometimes the system can work.

Pat

I must admit I always drive with my stereo turned way up, But I haven't had a problem hearing sirens yet
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

The RC's here are very cooperative in following up on drivers that attempt to pass, cut off, or otherwise obstruct us while enroute/onscene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Stealth83
    The RC's here are very cooperative in following up on drivers that attempt to pass, cut off, or otherwise obstruct us while enroute/onscene.

Same here.. It is nice to have some co-operation
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Geeze firefighter105....RC's in your part of the province must be damn good because someone has to practically be dead before they will do anything as far as assisting us
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

I have been frustrated by driver inattention for the last 3 years. My latest proposal is to get SGI to help fund a program to underline to young driver's how to respond to emergency vehicles on the road, beside the road etc. I am thinking administering it as part of the Driver's Education program at the local high school.
    The whole thing is in very rough stages of planning so feel free to mention things that you feel should be covered in the program.
    I don't know of too many other ways to address this problem. I also will be printing an article in the local paper on the same topic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ndvfdff33
    Geeze firefighter105....RC's in your part of the province must be damn good because someone has to practically be dead before they will do anything as far as assisting us

We have saved their butts on occasion at MVC's and they have returned the favour. We have worked hard to get them on our side. Meetings with them etc...
    In the end, it works

Actually, I think another meeting might be in order. Before the winter

Jason
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Forum Member

It shouldn't be that surprising considering what we see day in and day out. People have a hard time focusing on what they do, hence the request for assistance.

Our crew just has a good laugh, thank our lucky stars we made it home and look at it as a form of job security?

Talking

I must be getting cynical in my old age, because I almost want to applaud the drivers who actually do pull to the right when we approach them with lights and sirens.
    But folks, it is not just firetrucks who get to experience driver indifference. I did a ridealong in a ambulance going code one to a very sick individual in a campground in Pictou County and the car in front of us didn't even notice us until we managed to get around them. I guess they had Britney or someone cranked to 11 on the stereo...
    I would also love to hear your impressions of the ambulance chaser (literally) we had a while back who tried to drive up the patient's driveway ahead of our rescue van as we responded to a pretty serious medical first response call. He was not met with a warm welcome... He got acquainted with the RC's in a BIG way.

Default SOME REASONS WHY

I think some of the reasons they dont pull over for emeregency vehicles is cause honestly when were driving an amergency vehichle honestly you got the adrenaline going and other things on your mind and no time to actually write down the plate # if we could start turning in more of these moronic drivers tey might stop when it becomes apparent how much the fines are and whos life theyre killing due to their stupidity

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

We got a driver pulled over once by the ever helpful RC's. The driver said (are you ready for this??)

"THEY ALWAYS DRIVE LIKE THEIR *** IS ON FIRE"

At the time we honestly were doing just under highway speed 'cause our pumper won't go any faster no matter how empty the tank is. And we were on the way home so there was no rush.

Can we put THAT driver on the stupid list????
    The RC came by to share that little gem with us and it still makes the rounds during discussions.

Thread Information