Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default The passenger didnt make it...

No seat belt...

This is a pic from a local autocross (off road racing for cars, motocross style) that was from a month ago.

We had one yesterday again, no roll overs, which is rare.

Do any other departments have local race tracks to cover for?

We have probly 15 events a year, car races, motocross, snowmobile drag races, demo derbies, etc...

Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes things get a little wild.

What special precautions do you take for your car race events?

We just ordered 2 90 degree piercing nozzles. We didnt think we could aford them before, but we have enough fires at the car races with enough singed eyebrows and such that we have decided they are a good investment.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Here is a pic of one of the more mild jumps at the local Autocross track.

It is also called Bump and Run racing because a LOT of contact is allowed, sort of a 70 mph demo derby with the winner being the guy that crosses the line first and survives...

Realy very good stuff!!!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

We used to do ambulance cover for Lime Rock Park, the closest thing to any type of race that we have in our district is a annual bike thing that spans most of NYS.

We don't have anything really other then that... unless you count the speedsters trying to make some regular roads their own road course, .
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 07-05-2004 at 10:17 PM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Fiftyone, speedsters racing on the road are a real problem in our juristiction. We have a lot of nice, straight roads in the newer commercial districts, and late at night in the roads that are on the outskirts of the commercial district that borders an agricultural area you find drag racing to be very common.

The month after I joined, on one such road, we had a drag race that went awry and the kid rammed into a building on a driving range that housed all of their golf equipment, an arcade, and the home of the owners on the upper floor.

Luckily, it was on a drill night and we were in station, came on scene and did a grab and go(I wasn't involved with that part of the operation, I was flaking out a 2.5" hose). The building took approximately $200k in damages, the car was destroyed, and the boy suffered second degree burns from about the chest down on the front part of his body.

Now our police department finally patrols the area with incresed vigor like they were warned.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

Cool, Lime Rock is some big time racing. Much greater speeds!!!!

And I would asume much more strict safety regulations.

Some of these Autocross guys are realy on the ragged edge. I know,I have raced Autocross before! It is realy a blast. I am getting back into it soon, as soon as I get my car ready, lots yet to do.

Here is a link for the AMX series that comes through our area.

This form of racing is popular enough that there are 2 series, the other is the MT Bump and Run Series. lost their website.

http://www.automotoxross.com

This is Redneck racing at its finest...

Seriously, this is very fast racing, some of these cars could be respectable drag race cars, but they have 12 inches of suspension travel and race on a twisting off road track with jumps from the Dukes of Hazard.

It is realy getting dangerousl. The track builders have tried to make the designs safer by making the jumps less pronouced and such, but there are more and more wrecks and alarmingly more injuries each year.

That is not going to slow down the racers though, they love the danger.

We are just trying our best to be there when things go bad...

Here is what we are dealing with...they usualy chew their way out of the cars before we can cut them out...

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Don't mess with natural selection... they are thinning the herd

Originally posted by Halligan84
    Don't mess with natural selection... they are thinning the herd
    God works in mysterious ways...

Thread Information