Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Air Bag Protection for the Fire Service

I am astonished at the lack of safety considerations that are provided to us, the rescuers! I recently served on an apparatus committee that was looking to purchase larger rescues. We were going to give up a cab with dual front airbags for a medium chassis that had none. The salesman tried to tell us that you sat up higher in this chassis so it wasn't important. To us or the wall?
    This forum is about apparatus innovation. Why aren't manufacturers innovating for us? We all have seen how airbags have saved lives and lessened injuries. Airbags, side curtains and pretentioners, the technology has been around for years. Would you make an interior attack without an SCBA?
    What is your partner's life worth?
    "Don't say much so when I do.."

9/11 This Firefighter will never forget!

My Chevy type II ambulance has dual air bags. Ambulances are about the biggest truck I've heard of them on.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty easy answer really, $$$$$$

I don't know the politics behind the reasoning, but our Ambulance service was using GMC's with airbags, but then came along and removed them and stopped importing vehicles with them.

I can only assume that it was also a $$ thing
    Luke

Wow, I really hate to do this, but I'm going to do it anyway.

http://www.piercemfg.com/company/safety_systems.cfm

OUCH it hurts.

Haha, just kiddin. Pierce has come out with some nice safety stuff. Check it out. Now I don't know if this is proactive, or reactive based on all the "incidents" with Allsteer, etc.

But they deserve credit for "innovating," or at least bringing things to our market.

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Airbags. One more example of symbolism over substance.

If you are in you car and are wearing your seatbelt (w/shoulder strap) an air bag is not going to increase your safety/reduce the risk of injury in the event of a crash. If you don't have your belt on the airbag may help prevent serious injury (substitute expensive equipment for operator intelligence). So why don't you have your seat belt on?

If you are talking about a heavy truck, most likely wreck is with a passenger car size vehicle. That is 40000lb meets 4000lb the result is predictible. Air bag for you is irrelevant. Do you have your belt on?

Air bags or over hyped, over priced, pacifier for the politically correct. You see any airbags in NASCAR?

You want to spend a few extra $ that will actually improve operator safety? Install a 5 point harness.

Put your seat belt on.

Originally posted by neiowa

Put your seat belt on.
    Oh definetly. I guess I assumed that this was a given... but that's probably a dangerous assumption. I completely agree.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Don't know about Australia Lutan but ALL GM medium duty trucks (GMC and Chevy) offer dual air bags as an option. These are trucks from 14,500 GVW up to 60,000 lbs.

This is not only important to know when spec'ing a truck but also for when we might encounter one in a rescue situation. Make sure you check first and disconnect the batteries. (Under the passenger door)
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Originally posted by dragonfyre
    Make sure you check first and disconnect the batteries. (Under the passenger door)
    Will that deactivate the airbags

In several classes on extrication, I've been told that systems can still be energized 1/2-1 hour after removing the battery

Originally posted by pfd3501

In several classes on extrication, I've been told that systems can still be energized 1/2-1 hour after removing the battery
    All vehicle manufacturers have a capacitor drain time listed as CYA for the technicians.

You can do the math: Cars and trucks run on 12 volt systems. Air bags need at least 5 volts to operate. Take a volt meter to the system, disconnect the batteries and see how long it takes for the system to reduce to under 5 volts. While working on the class I teach we did research at the local GM training site and it took less than a minute.

It's still best to disconnect the batteries first, then start with stabilization and your 360. By the time you start getting out the tools and getting ready to extricate the system "SHOULD" be drained enough to be safe. However just remember to stay away from any air bag wires during the entire extrication process.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

i agree 100% with what neiowa said, most likely a wreck in a heavy truck the air bag wouldn't be that much benifit. and the biggest is getting firefighters to wear there seat belts, i don't know how many times i have to remind others on our dept to buckle up.

Thread Information