Thread: Side Scan Sonar

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Side Scan Sonar

Does anyone have any experience with Side Scan Sonar for Dive Rescue and Recovery?

What Make and Model?
    Do they have a Website?
    Do you like it?
    How does it work?
    Is it worth the money?
    Cost?
    Training Requirements/Recommendations?
    Other Thoughts?

We are considering one from www.marinesonic.com -"Splash Proof System"

Thanks for your input.
    Dave

Forum Member

The Marine Sonic device is a great tool, however like anything of that technology will require a lot of training and experience and isn't inexpensive. For a expert source of info. I suggest you search for 'side scan sonar' on the net. You'll find useful info. You may also search for 'drowning recovery' with the same results.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

unrepentant fool
    back home for the first time in MANY years

I don't personally have experience with side-scan sonar equipment, but I know an agency that does...

http://appalachiandiving.com/rescue.html

Try using the "Contact Us" link on that page. If you don't hear anything from the WCRS guys soon, let me know and I'll try to get a more direct contact to someone on their dive team. They should be able to provide you with info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for your feedback. I welcome any additional info from anyone out there!

Forum Member

For greater info and pics, call Rob Williamson at 800.447.4804. He can provide great detail regarding sonar use.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

Thumbs up Sea Scan!Just finish training this week!sweet!

Small, compact and rugged, the NEW "Centurion" Sea ScanŽ PC Splash Proof Computer System sets the industry standard for a high resolution, portable, self-contained, low cost sonar system. Designed with the Search and Recovery Community in mind, the system can be operational within minutes and only needs a 12 VDC power source. The software is user friendly and the daylight readable screen allows for easy target detection and identification. Incorporating many of the proven features found in the previous splash proof, the NEW "Centurion" has been updated to provide state of the art electronics and connectivity.

New Features
    Computer is 13"x11"x6" and weighs only 12 pounds
    High-Bright, daylight readable, 10.4" color flat screen display
    Increased connectivity, network and USB compatible
    300 MHz Processor and 40 GB Hard Drive
    Operates on a 12 VDC power source
    Case and connectors are fully waterproof and designed for increased durability and shock resistance
    Fully compatible with all previous MSTL towfish and cables
    Standard Components
    External R/W CD ROM Drive and USB 2.0 High Speed Flash Drive
    USB ports and 100 base-T Ethernet connections
    JRC Self Contained DGPS, Garmin eTrex Legend GPS, keyboard and waterproof mouse
    Connection for standard keyboards and pointing devices
    Complete "Centurion" System Includes
    Single Frequency Towfish ( 900 ) along with100 & 30 Meter Tow Cables, 1 Set of Line Weights, Rugged Shipping Containers, Tool Kit, Factory Training, Operator's Manual, 24/7 Technical Support and a Three-Year Limited Warranty

The company Rep spent the weekend on the water with the team!
    The only thing that we dearly need to add is a power reel!
    Budget was tight on this tool.We hope to add it later.

Marine Sonic Technology, Ltd.
    5508 George Washington Memorial Highway
    PO Box 730
    White Marsh, Virginia 23183-0730
    1-800-447-4804 - Fax: (804) 693-6785

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by coldfront; 11-05-2006 at 07:55 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll let you know Tuesday, we are looking at a model from humminbird. We had poor results with the larger unit from Marine Sonic. But with our water we may not have any luck with sonar at all.
    The marine sonic unit came in on a recovery and they came up empty. the body of water was sort of bowl shaped and that contributed to the problems. The victim was on a slope and teh unit just didn't get a good read on him.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just had a demo of the Hummingbird 987c http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?id=621
    For the price this thing is incredible. A town near the WI border has a MS towed sonar and we had it out a few years back on a recovery. We looked into a purchase back then and if memory serves it was over $30,000.
    What we saw today was just as good and just about $1,500. Hummingbird has put this technology in reach of just about anyone with a team. We are going to purchase it and I'll let you know what else it can do.

Forum Member

Our team has just purchased the Humminbird 987cSI. We purchased it along with an extra power cord, and transducer. I am in the process of constructing a towfish for it, using guidlines posted in the PS Divers Monthly newsletter. The unit will be mounted on the Sheriff's boat, and the extra power cord will be to make it portable for our boat, using the extra transducer mounted in the towfish.

Chris Wooten
    Dive Team Leader
    Benzie Area Public Safety Dive Team
    Michigan
    www.benziediveteam.org

Thread Information