Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I'm glad they're getting a test ready. 3 of my guys are in a basic class that'll be done in January so they should have a state test to take. DJ is one of them and he actually likes the EMS stuff. Surprises me cause he's never even wanted to take a 1st Responder class.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope they decide on a Paramedic test soon. I have completed the class, finished the 250 hours of ride time, and knocked out the 200 hours of clinicals. Now I just have to wait for the state.

and

wait

wait

wait

Default EMT test

i took my emtb class in jan-may 2004 and i compleated it. unfortunatly i was out of state all summer and didnt get to take my test at all. i have read all of this and am very confused, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there are tests to take so that i can get liscenced. thanks all, gene

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Hello

Hello!

Please don't think I'm nuts, but I like the idea of a 2 yr. paramedic course. I also support kepping a state exam, just changing it. Although they probably should have had it set up before discontinuing the last one. I would like to take my NR does anyone know where and when there will be one held; I already have my IL EMT-B license.

i just read this thread tonight, and someone mentioned parameic classes being ofered, way back in July. Are there any I can still apply to? If so where and when? I'm having difficulties locating information; also information on testing for fire deprtments (vounteer welcome) any information would be appreciated.

All my thanks. Future Firefighter/Paramedic (if i can find info)

jorie7-19@sbcglobal.net

An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Jorie-

Hmmm, where to start....?

First off, there's a lot of problems with the idea of a two-year medic class. Most of them involve cost. It costs a fire department somewhere around $17,000 to send a full-time firefighter to medic class. That covers his pay while in class, pay while doing clinical time, pay for covers while he is in class when he would normally be on shift. If it goes to two years, obviously that cost will double. How many other professions have that kind of a training cost? Add more to that if the person hired off the street needs to go to a fire academy.

Now, just so you don't think I'm all about money, let me 'splain to you my thinking on the current curriculum. Somewhere in these forums, and it might have been in this thread, I talk about the current curriculum and how some of the material is just downright silly. I know that there are courses out there having classes just to "fill hours." My problem with this line of action is this: the DOT sets the curriculum as a minimum. They say, "X number of hours shall be spent teaching cardiology and electrophysiology." (Or words to that effect). So the paramedic programs get their Brady or Mosby books out and teach ECG interpretation and so forth. Usually this is the longest part of the class (I believe I spent 6 weeks out of a 9 month course on this topic). I just took a 12-lead interpretation class yesterday, and learned more in those 8 hours than in the six weeks in medic class. Plus any con ed since then. Why aren't these program TEACHING US WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW? Because they are teaching us to pass a test. A test that some bureaucrat wrote who either has never been in an ambulance, or hasn't been in one in 15 years. Add another year to the program, and all you are going to do is add another year of wasted time. Get me out on the street and taking the seminars that will actually teach me what I need to know tho serve the public. 'Cause the current curriculum ain't worth a crap.

Now, as for getting in a class, where are you? I'm up north, west of Chicago. I can give you some contact numbers, but all of the classes, to my knowledge, are full and started.

As for getting on a department, again, this will depend on where you are. There is a company called "Fire Hire" that, for $20 or some such fee, will send you notifications of departments that are testing. Volunteer departments generally require that you reside in their service area to join (we do).
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Jay:
    I spoke with Don Moffitt two weeks ago about this issue and he assures me that he is still poking this big dog with a stick.
    I can assure you that, now that it has been brought to his attention, he will pursue state EMS with the same enthusiasm and focus that he has with the state's fire service. I can almost guarantee that there will be more and much needed oversight at this runaway train known as IDPH.
    IMHO.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Oh; I almost forgot:
    Jorie. Welcome to the most popular state thread at Firehouse.com.
    jbozcek is our Illinois chapter president. 80FIRE is the vice president. I can't remember who the sergeant-at-arms is, but we don't need a cop, because we play nice...most of the time.
    We are proud flatlanders.
    Welcome.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Art;

The latest scuttle-butt I've heard is that most of the experienced regional people are resigning (I know our regional coordinator is leaving). There is concern that the replacements don't have much of a clue. More political hacks*. There was some talk that there is a rumor of an inuendo supposedly overheard by my brother's cousin's hairdresser that there is somebody somewhere talking about abolishing the DPH. Not sure how this would affect other areas that DPH oversees, but for EMS, it would be up to the individual systems to ensure they are compliant with state law. Personnally, I favor this method.

---------
    *Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with policital hacks if they can do the job. And maybe that's how they start out. I know one place that could be ripe with political hacks, but fortunately, at the level that matters, the poeple in there know their jobs and are damn good at them. Right Mitzi?
    Last edited by jaybird210; 10-19-2004 at 02:22 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Default Oh, I almost forgot...

In my haste to kiss a little butt....

Art, please express to Rep Moffit how much we all appreciate what he has and is doing to help us all. It's truly amazing to see a politician working to improve things state-wide, as opposed to just catering to those that can re-elect him.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Thank you!

Thank you CheifReason and Jaybird210, for the warm welcome!

First I'm in north suburban Chicago.

Second, I understand the money issue and how the paramedic class time affects the finances and is a strain on any department. I don't agree with the price rise of the class. That's getting steep, but I still want the education. Now I don't have the experience that the majority of you do. However I am an ARC Lifeguard Instructor, and when I'm conducting a class I use all required hours and then sum. I can always find some aspect for everyone to work on to be stronger and add useful information. That's why I like the idea of two years, it's a chance to learn more and strenthen valuable skills. I don't know how the Paramedic Instructors have/might be/are teaching the course, but I don't think they should have class filler. Instead use the extra time (if any) as a review or to go into more depth on information.

Third any suggestions I can do on helping with getting the state exam out again?

Forth any news on up comming NR exams?

All my thanks

Jorie
    Last edited by JorieH; 10-20-2004 at 03:07 AM.

Default Re: Thank you!

Originally posted by JorieH
    First I'm in north suburban Chicago.
    Jorie, where exactly? I'm in Lake Co, maybe I can help you out.....
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Jeff, your speed and efficiency are second only to your good looks!

I was going to suggest rousting you out!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking where I am

dmsmith

I'm in Cook County.

Can you help me?

All my thanks,

Jorie.

Originally posted by jaybird210
    Jeff, your speed and efficiency are second only to your good looks!

I was going to suggest rousting you out!
    And I thought it was my outstanding golf game

Roust me out for 18!

Default Re: where I am

dmsmith

I'm in Cook County.

Can you help me?

All my thanks,

Jorie.
    Jorie, I'll PM you. Don't talk to any recruiters just yet

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: where I am

Originally posted by dmsmith

Jorie, I'll PM you. Don't talk to any recruiters just yet
    I don't have a PM set up yet. Try e-mailling me. Either through the firehouse or jorie7-19@sbcglobal.net.

All my thanks,

Jorie

Once again any news on up comming NR tests?

Forum Member

Default Nine week wonders...

A two year paramedic course does not produce any more competent or capable paramedics than does a 3 month course. Northwest Community Hospital used to turn medics out in a 9 week course, and they were great. There is far too much emphasis placed on the academic aspects of the schooling process, and not enough on the technical. I worked with too many people who could recite chapter and verse on the contraindications of some drug, but usually couldn't drop a line or intubate worth a darn. Gimme a slightly stupid but technically capable medic any day.
    Last edited by CDean867; 10-26-2004 at 02:16 PM.

A decent package including liability and a 15 million dollar umbrella certainly wouldn't hurt, neither.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Like I said I don't have the experience the majority of you do. I haven't stared my paramedic class yet. Although I'm sure once I do, my opinion on this matter will change through my own experience.

Jorie

p.s. When I did preform intubation in my basic class, I never missed. Though that was on a dummy.

When I did preform intubation in my basic class, I never missed. Though that was on a dummy.
    Though many dummies and actual persons are one in the same, there's no comparison when tubing the real thing

Thread Information