MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

WOW! Good luck k3.

Remember:

Big envelope= good.
    Small envelope= bad.

Here's hoping for the big 'un!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Still no word yet. This is like Chinese Paramedic test torture!

MembersZone Subscriber

The big envelope arrived in the mail today.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

K3, sounds like you made it, congratulations!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, a year and a half of torture is over!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The big envelope arrived in the mail today.
    WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!

Excellent!! EXCELLENT!!!! Well done, my friend! Can I interest you in a house in Hinckley!?!?!?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NREMT-B

Is anyone aware of an EMT-B refresher course available down state this semester?

Default re: nremtb refresher

Try Southwestern Illinois College 618-235-2700 ex. 5658 Talk to Lee Smith He will know

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone else heard that the IDPH has suspended the "pilot" paramedic test? I have a few friends that are waiting to take the paramedic test and were told it was suspended till furthur notice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone had any of their firefighters take the National Registry EMT-B Test? We went from a 95%/100% pass rate down to 66% in our EMS System. Wondering if others are in the same boat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, funny you should ask about that. We had two students go through the Waubansee CC EMT-B course; they passed with a high B average. Both failed the NR. Gee, you don't suppose it's in the NR's best interest to have a student RETAKE a test they have to PAY FOR, now, do you!?!??!

I really hope IDPH sees the folly in this NR bs and goes back to their own testing.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We had 4 take the basic test, 1 passed the first try, 2 others took it again and passed, barely, and the other didn't retake it. It was the first NR test for this instructor so I think his class will change a little next time.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard that the test site in St. Louis has about a 60% pass rate for paramedics; not sure about EMT-B.

I'll be taking the Illinois paramedic exam Tuesday the 16th in Springfield. I've talked to several people recently and no one has heard of anyone failing it. Once I get my IL license, I may try the NR test, just to try it.

What is it that makes the NR EMTB so tough to pass? I'm an old IL EMTB, so I didn't have to go through it.

Forum Member

Default NREMT-B Testing

I'm down here in Region 6 and just like everyone else, we were forced to send our new EMT-B students through the NREMT exam. I will say something about our EMS system though. Provena has really worked hard to make sure that their students are ready to pass the test. After using the NR for about a year now, they are still setting at about a 80% pass rate at the Basic level. When you consider that IL as a whole is only at a 60-70% pass rate then this is definitely something to be proud of. I just hope that I keep up the trend in our system as I am just completing teaching my first EMT-Basic course (have taught many first responder courses and have assisted with many EMT classes, but this is the first on my own). I have about 4 more weeks left with them and I have been doing everything I can to get them ready. I'm sure they will all do fine. They are a good group, but their my first so I worry. Anyway, the point of this is that even though most have had negative comments about the NR, our system has remained at just about the same passing rate as what we had using IDPH's test.

On a side note, has anyone heard of a NREMT-P written exam location, date, and times in IL? If so can you let me know? After being a paramedic for 5 years I have to go and take my NREMT-P exam because I'm now working in Indiana.

MembersZone Subscriber

not2L8, check here to locate an exam:
    http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/can...am.asp?secID=1

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nremtp

Not sure if Maywood is listed as a site, but if you are attempting to test there, I would contact Dan Carlascio of Loyola University Meducak Center EMS office. The test is held at Loyola hospital, and there are usually very limited openings for outsiders due to Region/System specific students taking the exam. I got in last winter as a same Region PM. Dan's a good guy, he'll work with you if he can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Btw

that's "Medical"
    and Dan can be helpful with info on other test sites, and with studying: he's an NREMT guru.
    and this is my first flatlanders post, been posting on Hiring and Employment for a little while, just started at Downers Grove FD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, DJLund, welcome to the flatlands. Sounds like you're already making a good contribution to the most successful state forum on FH. Keep it up.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I am so mad about this.

My mother has been an EMT and instructor for twenty some years, hell I think she taught half the EMTs in central Illinois. She had a success rate in the high ninetys and then they pulled the test and went national. Three out of like thirteen failed all three tries and now the state wont giove an answer as to whether or not they will honor retests after the refresher.

I think only two out of the class passed the first time.

There is something definetly flawed with this.

I dont know if it is a system issue or a national issue, but It needs fixed, our EMT supply is dwindling.

MembersZone Subscriber

DJ, welcome to the flatlands. You'll like it at DG. I've taken several classes there at their academy; good bunch o' guys.

I've been bitching about the NR since this whole thing started. I feel it's a scam and a fraud. That's my personal opinion. When this thing first blew up, and we were talking to our state reps about it, one of them asked me what was my main beef with this strategy (not being a jerk, he was just playing devil's advocate). My primary complaint was that this is a private agency that is basically being brought in as a contractor to administer tests, and the fees were astronomically higher and the tests sites were too limited to be used state-wide. He retorted, What's wrong with using a contractor? We do it all the time in other fields? My answer: because the NR is accountable to no one. I said, suppose the NR did something akin to what IDPH is doing now; what will the upraor that it would produce accomplish? If a bunch of politicians started calling the NR, I think they'd basically say, Leave us alone to do our jobs. But when it's administered by a state agency, that agency had better listen to the politicians. Maybe that's a good thing and maybe not, but after what has happened, I think I'd rather see things stay just as they are.

Why do I think the NR is a fraud? Two main reasons; the first is quick and easy, the second is a little more lengthy.

1) To me, "Nationally Registered" should mean I can take my paramedic license anywhere in the country, test into a system, and start working. This is not the case. Many states do not recognize and award reciprocity based on NR. Why not? I dunno, but there's probably bunches of reasons.

2) Look at the pass/fail rates we have been seeing since this debacle began. Presumably, we are all using DOT's EMT curriculum. By "we" I mean all instructors, systems, colleges, the NR, everybody. Why then are all these people suddenly unable to pass this test? Why do some of our students come back after taking the test and say, "I never saw or heard of half the stuff on that test." It costs money to tkae the NR tests. Quite a bit more than the state tests cost. That money goes to the NR, not to IDPH. Look back at the earlier posts on this thread; you'll see actuall prices. I'm too lazy to go back and look now. Look at the costs of the "recommended pre-test." My opnion, just a money-making sceme.

After all the uproar, my understanding after talking to our EMS Coordinator and system coordinator, the plan is now thusly:

The state is still giving their "pilot" paramedic test. It was also a pilot test last year. I think they want to do it a couple years running to make sure it doesn't get comprimised. Then they'll re-write and administer a couple years of the EMT-I test. Then the B test. I'm not sure why they can't do more than one at a time, but if it's gets straightened out, I don't care. Let's hope it stays on track.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks, be sure to vote early and often in the next election

Forum Member

what election?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    Has anyone had any of their firefighters take the National Registry EMT-B Test? We went from a 95%/100% pass rate down to 66% in our EMS System. Wondering if others are in the same boat.
    yes everyone is having a hard time everywhere!

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I understand..nationally, NREMT has a 66% FAIL rate on the basic test...now there is something to be proud of. It goes up from there for the I and P tests.

DJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoambo
    what election?
    The one next year.... for governor

Thread Information