MembersZone Subscriber

Default We shouldn't be having this conversation

ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

What a freakin moron, I guess some people just don't get it.

IF YOU CONSUME ALCOHOL DONT BOTHER GOING TO A CALL
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Forum Member

We all know that people who have consumed copious amounts of alcohol exhibit poor judgement and do stupid things.......... we see it in our jobs. That being said, however, who was the dumbass that let him get into an apparatus and drive it anyway? If I was responding to the hall and saw one of my fellow members trying to drive and I KNEW they were under the influence I would be VERY LOUD in my objections. I realize that the onus is on each individual to be responsible and not respond, but when their responsiblity fails shouldn't the onus then fall to fellow members?
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Brings back memories of just over a year ago when Anndee Huber was killed in an apparatus crash driven by a drunk firefighter.

At least this time no one died.

I also find it amazing, in the news story it said the other driver had pulled over to let the apparatus pass and was hit head on.

Poor guy, actually doing the right thing and gets whacked by a fire truck and the driver in DUI....

When will it end??? Or will it???
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Will it end?

Probably not, it may go down with intensive campaigns over this, but I unfortunatly will never rule it as never happening again.

I would be upset if I saw one my own doing this and do something about it, although sometimes we dont get to see them due to straight to the scene (Not even to the FH first. ) POV response. And sometimes you show up to get a truck and no one is there to see you...

Alchohol equals poor judgement, thats only while intoxicated though, and steps should be taken before drinking to prevent this kind of thing. If they cant do that they they shouldnt be driving, because it is a lack of responsibility to the FD and whomever/whatever they may be driving.

What could be done? The routine give the keys to a sober person, do not let them let you drive, put one of those anti theft bars on your steering wheel and give the key to someone . There is certainly something that can be done to prevent, or at least diminish cases of this.

This case was one of those "it could've been real real bad" situations, there have been those "real real bad" situations that have ended with fatalities and huge monetary losses.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

The problem with holding keys and things is all the modern trucks for the most part are push to start trucks. Turn on the battery and push the ignition button and your off. There designed for quicker response times that way noone has to go searching for keys.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

Originally posted by Engine7Cadet
    The problem with holding keys and things is all the modern trucks for the most part are push to start trucks. Turn on the battery and push the ignition button and your off. There designed for quicker response times that way noone has to go searching for keys.
    I'm talking about POV's, I assume your talking about fire trucks?
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Drink alchol go on a call for the fire department and people claim that alchol does not impair judgement?????Lets see if you are drinking at the house, and the tones go off turn the pager off.You endanger your life, the life of citizens on the road, the citizens involved in the first incident, and your brother firefighters. I am not bashing anyone who is drinking,but use common sense if you decide to have a drink than you have a responsibility not to respond to a call.

Forum Member

I will assume that some of the poster's on this thread are under the legal age of drinking. I like the fact they are realizing this is a problem early in their FF life. Keep that thought process going, it will keep you alive. Spread the word to others...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exclamation Common sense

Don't Drink and Drive... it's as simple as that! In addition to that, firefighting is dangerous enough sober... why the heck would you place your brother firefighters, civilians and yourself at such great risk? It is common sense, but sometimes common sense is not so common!

Forum Member

One day something like this will grace the average apparatus:

http://www.politicaljuice.com/2004/0...stopping_.html

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    I will assume that some of the poster's on this thread are under the legal age of drinking. I like the fact they are realizing this is a problem early in their FF life. Keep that thought process going, it will keep you alive. Spread the word to others...
    Will do, .
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Illinois is running anti drunk driving campaigns on billboards, the say "drive hammered, get nailed." A guy in my town used to have a breathalyzer he had to breath into before his car would start, ordered by the court for drunk driving. it is an interesting concept having them in all cars though, i have no problem with them, but im only 17, but i dont ever plan to touch a bottle, or can for that matter.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information