Thread: Digital Cameras

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Digital Cameras

Does anybody have a recommendation for a digital camera to carry on a rescue truck? I'm looking for something durable that with about 3 megapixels and 3x or more optical zoom. Plus, what would you recommend for media storage? Memory stick/card, floppy, etc.? It won't be used for investigation purposes, just for scene pics, etc. We currently have a Sony Mavica with the battery door broken off.....

Also, something under $300.

Permanently Removed

Default My dig. cam...

Hi there...I use an older Sony Mavica, 1.6 megapixels with the floppy drive and love it. I understand you want something better, but this has been working for me.

Good luck, Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

I use the Sony Mavica CD250. It is a great camera and takes alot more pics than the average Mavica. I ware a floppy disc Mavica out and bought this one. I use iot on my rescue truck all the time.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

I have a Kodak Easy Share, I can't remember what model, but it was only $130 at Wal~Mart. It's been a good camera, takes great pictures. I'll post back when I find out the model #.
    I believe there is a hero in all of us.

If life is a waste time and time is a waste of life, let's all get wasted and have the time of our life!

Wurked on foniks hooked fer mee.

Remember, it's "Hi, how are you?" not "How high are you?"!!

~Mis.~ 11-09
    MCVFD Sta. 11
    Firefighter/EMT, Safety Officer

Forum Member

I got a HP Photosmart 435, it a 3.1 mega pixel and can take movies with audio and is pretty ruggard. It comes with photo software,printer dock and photo cables.
    It $128 at Wal-Mart and has a 16MB internal memory. With the 64MB SD($28) card I can hold 770 "Good" quality pics,plus you also got internal memory too.

Wal-Mart also has a pretty good starter kit for $20 bucks that includes a mini tripod,4 rechargeable batterys with charger,camera bag, camera cleaning kit and memory card wallet.

The only potential downside is you need USB ports and Windows XP on your computer.

I love it and the quality is great.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stm4710; 07-08-2004 at 12:41 AM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd recommend the Olympus C-740. It's a 3MP Ultra zoom (10x optical, 40 x dig). I think you can get it for about $300 even. I have hte same camera, but with 4 MP. It's an awesome cam for everyone, 'cause it has really easy auto settings and full control for people who want it/know how to use it! I also use it to do some freelance and/or motocross work, and it's held up really well!!!

Last edited by mcleoud151; 07-08-2004 at 01:16 PM.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Early Adopter

Default Fuji!

After much research, I bought a Fujifilm FinePix S5000. There are three models in the series -- a S3000, S5000 & S7000. Mine can shoot at six megapixels with 3.1 effective megapixels. It does a fabulous job. OfficeDepot.Com sells the S5000 for $399. The S3000 is nearly as good for a bit less.

What I like about the camera is that you can either go fully automatic or manually adjust every possible setting. It uses XD media cards. I have a 128 MB card and it holds somewhere around 70 photos in 6 megapixel mode. Here's a sample shot taken with my own camera...

Thread Information