Forum Member

Default ANY NORMS AND REGULATIONS??? Back to the short issue!

Hello everyone! I've searched the forum about the pros and cons about wearing short as a part of the firefighter uniform. All the comments are very interesting...

BUT have not found anything about rules or norms wich would allow or prohibit the wear of short as a part of the station uniform.

Is there any NFPA code about that?

I need your help everyone...

Thanks you!

Eric Savard
    Lieutenant rescue/haz-mat co.
    Quebec City F.D., Canada

MembersZone Subscriber

my volunteer dept does not allow for shorts as part of the station uniform. fine for PT or sleeping, but not for standard uniform. career is experimenting with shorts, but aside from the FF in the test program (few different uniform types being tested) there are no shorts as part of the uniform. again, PT and sleeping only. if a call comes in when you are sleeping or doing PT, you better be putting on sweats or turnouts. all FF are to be out of PT gear ASAP.

i was told it was an NFPA regulation that stated that you must wear long pants/long sleeve shirt under turnout gear to prevent steam burns. i am not sure about the truth of this, but in our academy in essentials we were required to wear long pants/shirt when we burned. i have no idea if OSHA prevents the wearing of shorts for EMS calls due to blood born stuff.

if anyone has the NFPA/OSHA info (if there is any) i would be interested in seeing it too

hope this helps, eric
    IACOJ
    "May the gods be between you and the darkness in all the empty places in which you must walk." Ancient Blessing

Forum Member

I beleive Pheonix allows thier personel to wear uniform shorts ..I could be wrong though but I beleive I have seen pictures of thier personel in shorts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also believe that FDNY cna also as long as they have bunkers on..someone correct me if I am wrong.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Thanks you for your answers...but ANY of you have official norms please!!!

Thanks you!

Eric Savard
    Lieutenant rescue/haz-mat co.
    Quebec, Canada

Forum Member

From NFPA 1975, Standard on Station/Work Uniforms:

6.2 Configuration.

6.2.1 Station/work uniform garments designed for the upper torso shall be permitted to be configured as follows:
    (1) Shirt, with collar, full-length front opening, either long sleeve or short sleeve
    (2) Polo or golf-style shirt, with collar, pullover with partial front opening, either long sleeve or short sleeve
    (3) Tee shirt, pullover without front opening, without collar, either long sleeve or short sleeve
    (4) Sweatshirt, pullover, with or without collar, either long sleeve or short sleeve

6.2.2 Station/work uniform garments designed for the lower torso shall be permitted to be configured as follows:
    (1) Pants, extending from the waist to the ankles
    (2) Shorts, extending from the waist to a point at or above the knee
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Thread Information