Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need help quick!

I've just taken a medical physical for a career fire department and the Dr. failed me due to a high BMI (Body Mass Index). I've been given the opportunity to retake the physical in 3 weeks, however I need to drop 5% BMI during that time. Any suggestions? I really want this position, so I'm definitely driven to succeed, however I just don't know the BEST way to drop the INCHES. The Dr. said that my weight wasn't necessarily a cause for concern, just the fat around the middle. Any help is appreciated, but please don't suggest any plan that I have to purchase since time is of the essence. Thanks!
    ---^v---^v---^v---------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Run, Forrest, Run
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

I have two suggestions, first depends on how fit you are. From the sound of you post, you are probably not a body builder. However, I would suggest to the Doctor that he check your Body Fat Percentage, rather than the Body Mass Index. You can have a lower BF% and still be considered obese by BMI standards. (Which is why I dislike the BMI so much.)

Second, running will help, but it depending on how much you need to lose, will probably not get you there. If you are willing to sacrifice some muscle mass to drop pounds, just eat a lot less. I mean a whole lot. Drink plenty of water, take a multi-vitamen.

Your energy will be low, your stamina will drop. But if it is only to get by the initial physical, then you can do it.

Forum Member

I would definetly work on the diet some of the guys i work with use a Thai diet. Cuts out all the junk food, real easy, instead of eating peanutbutter you eat just peanuts its like that. I think you can find it on line, its a pretty efficent diet without sacrificing health or energy they have lost a lot of body fat in a short time, and are actually much healthier. Try to keep up on the crunches, especially the side crunches and run at a least double your heart rate around four times a week.

Best of Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

Just an update. Thanks for all of the helpful information. I GOT IT!! I passed the physical yesterday and was officially offered the position. Thanks again for the help.

Forum Member

Congrat! Make sure you keep working out, because the academy is probably going to be pretty demanding. But you'll love every minute of it when it's over!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking weight loss

go to walmart and purchase the DR. Phil weight loss book i lost 20lbs eating what the meal plan said and my wife lost 50lbs and excerising daily. stick with the diet and you will lose weight

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Default Congrats

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 10:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

StLRes2cue, the method I used was not one that I recommend. I basically starved myself, ran (in sweats on 90 degree days), drank plenty of water, ran some more, and to help "shrink" the inches my wife suggested a body wrap. Surprisingly, the body wrap actually did reduce and tighten some of the flab around the middle but results were short lived (just long enough to get measured). Although since starting the academy I have kept if off and taken more off. I knew I could do that with hard work, I just had to do the drastic things to get past the doctor's measuring tape. So far (after 9 weeks in the academy) I've kept off about 15 lbs. and a few inches. Not to mention, I feel 100% better while exercising. Thanks for the kind words.

Thread Information