MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oxygen Tanks, Cherry Pickers and Smoke Inhalation

It may be a re-hash but how the hell can we educate the media who use these terms day after day???

Forum Member

Educate our own first....

Sr. Information Officer

Question

Good point!

How about a carefully worded press release to your local print and TV media's assignment desks...detailing the correct firefighting jargon. It must be done periodically, because the turnaround in local anchors and correspondents is quite frequent.

It's worth a try. If they pride themselves in accuracy..they'll read it and remember it.

NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Oxygen tanks are in the ambulance,Cherry pickers are used in electrical/farm industry and Smoke Inhalation is "not" what Clinton did.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Big pet peeve of mine - "toxic fumes" used whenever there's a respiratory hazard.

Fumes are vaporized metals and only come from welding, soldering, casting, etc. You can't have gasoline fumes or chlorine fumes. Its gasoline vapors and chlorine gas.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

IACOJ Agitator

SafetyPro, you post made me go to Webster.com and here is what I found:

Main Entry: fume
    Pronunciation: 'fyüm
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French fum, from Latin fumus; akin to Old High German toumen to be fragrant, Sanskrit dhuma smoke, Old Church Slavonic dymu
    1 a : a smoke, vapor, or gas especially when irritating or offensive b : an often noxious suspension of particles in a gas (as air)
    2 : something (as an emotion) that impairs one's reasoning
    3 : a state of excited irritation or anger -- usually used in the phrase in a fume
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Been That, Done There.............

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    Good point!

How about a carefully worded press release to your local print and TV media's assignment desks...detailing the correct firefighting jargon. It must be done periodically, because the turnaround in local anchors and correspondents is quite frequent.

It's worth a try. If they pride themselves in accuracy..they'll read it and remember it.

NJ
    Good Point, I do this from time to time, As in, like, last night when a reporter hung out with me for a few hours. We work at maintaining a rapport with our local papers, but the broadcast media is harder to reach. My pet peeve is the phrase "Emergency Workers" and/or "Fire Officials" and those terms don't appear in our local papers any more. We do make it a point to invite the press to any event that would make a good story, the usual things like Fire Prevention Week activities, Awards Banquet, and so on, but also Training Activities such as House Burnings and Auto Extracation drills. Want to get a group of Reporters huffing and puffing? Give them a set of Hurst tools and have them take a door off or flap the roof. I've also had some suit up and go through a live burn. Doing things like this gives them a whole new outlook. Try it!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information