Forum Member

Thumbs down Interesting........

Flame fanning unnecessary

Peabody firefighters aren't doing themselves - and more importantly the good citizens of their city - a service with what at best can be called disingenuous bargaining tactics.

As reported in yesterday's Salem News, the firefighters' union has been placing signs outside two of the city's fire stations announcing that due to budget cuts, "Engine 1 is closed," or "Ladder 2 is closed." That would lead the average passerby to believe the station is unmanned or shuttered, but that is not the case.

In fact, only the specific piece of equipment mentioned is out of service, and there's nothing new about the idle trucks.

In a deal union members agreed to 18 months ago to prevent layoffs, minimum staffing requirements were reduced from 20 to 18 firefighters.

In the case of Ladder 2, Fire Chief Steve Pasdon says the story is even older than that.

In his 20 years on the job, Pasdon estimates the ladder may have been in service only 36 days any given year, at most. Although union members blame budget cuts for the out-of-service trucks, Pasdon expects Engine 1 won't be manned most of the summer because of firefighters' vacations.

While union members say there is more money in the fire budget this year, and minimum staffing levels should be restored to earlier levels, Pasdon says increases in fixed costs, notably health insurance, make that impossible.

The average taxpayer is willing to accept pay increases for firefighters and police officers, even if it means a hike in tax bills. They understand these men and women save not only property, but lives, and they don't have to be scared into paying the bill by misleading signs.

As Gov. Mitt Romney noted when Sen. John Kerry refused to cross a Boston police union picket line at the Fleet Center recently, senators (and firefighters) don't have to balance budgets. Mayors (and fire chiefs) do.

The responsibility is to protect the citizenry, but at a cost that makes sense. No one can put a price on one human life, but no budget is unlimited.

Yesterday's story undoubtedly left many readers looking for an answer to another question: If union members believe staffing levels are already too low, why did four firefighters - unexpectedly - call in sick on the Fourth of July?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This really doesnt have anything to do with your post but when I got to them bottom and read your signature I got a good laugh..."support our troops, smack a liberal"
    thats so funny, I like it

Forum Member

Default Re: Interesting........

"Yesterday's story undoubtedly left many readers looking for an answer to another question: If union members believe staffing levels are already too low, why did four firefighters - unexpectedly - call in sick on the Fourth of July? "

Yup, leave it us union guys to forget to schedule ailments and injuries ahead of time......gimme a break. I am sure four members bailed out on holiday pay just for the S and G's of it. Man for man OT should have covered the vacancies so this should be a mute point IMO.
    Last edited by FiRsqDvr45; 07-09-2004 at 04:36 PM.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

Default Hey STM

SMACK THIS. And while you are at it learn how to spell Dick C-H-E-N-E-Y correctly and quit worrying about union firefighters.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't give the guy such a hard time, he didn't write the damn story. He is just posting it because it is Firefighter Related.

Holiday Call-outs are a problem in any career field. What is even more sickening, is the guys who take 8 hours of sick leave, and come in the same day for 8 hours of OT in their own spot! Talk about criminal activities.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

If that is the case in your department, then management isn't doing it's job. Something like that around here would not fly.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I guess the article struck a nerve judgeing by his reaction. Even though I disagree with the articles critcism by the thumbs down.

Tiller dont bother reasoning with him, lets just go back to throwing cats and small children in a boiling pot of green goo and doing our satanic dance with Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Riely........after all.....we are Republicans so we must be evil and wrong.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Good idea kid. Dont try "reasoning" with me. I see you fixed Cheney. Now how about O'-R-E-I-L-L-Y ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

...we are Republicans so we must be evil and wrong.
    Nah; just wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nah; just wrong.
    Is either side ever going to concede that the other is right? I thought you were smarter than that Robert.

Jesse, really dude, I can't help you out with MIKEY on the spelling. although the ritualistic right-wing dance might be cool!

MIKEY, it is sickening, and Management here is less than Average. But it's crap like that which makes people want to not pay employees OT because it can be so abused!

Forum Member

Default I dont know Tiller

You and the STM dancing around together is conjuring some unpleasant imagery
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Re: I dont know Tiller

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    You and the STM dancing around together is conjuring some unpleasant imagery
    Like Shrek and Fiona?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

C'mon MIKEY, you know you wanna be the third. haha

Thread Information