Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Train Derailment

For those of you traveling I-57 watch out. Hearing reports that a freight train carrying coal derailed from an overpass onto I-57 near Benton. Saying it may be a couple days before the interstate is open again. Haven't heard any reports on any injuries yet. Anyone else got any more info on this?

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Chad and others,
    I just watched the Cape Giradeau news and they showed pictures of it. 8 cars loaded w/ coal fell off the tracks above I-57 onto the roadway, about 9:30. As of abot 12:30, no cleanup had started yet. I heard there were only minor injuries, possibly only 1 truck driver that was struck by debris, not by a car itself. They said it was a minimum of 24 hours before any traffic would flow. Detours are around the site, on Rt. 37 and Rt. 51 from Benton to West Frankfurt. I can only imagine the congestion between those 2 towns. It's amess getting through Benton on a quiet day. They have a town square that Rt. 37 goes around. I would imagine Rt. 148 is also getting a fair amount of traffic even though that wasn't mentioned as a detour.
    Luckily, no major injuries, just a traffic headache. I'll see if I can find a picture or two.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

No pics on the 2 local TV station web sites. One did say that I-57 is closed between exits 65 and 71.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

there is atleast one picture at www.thesouthern.com .....I would expect more soon on our local new station www.wsiltv.com

looks like a real mess.....only i minor injury and they expect I-57 to be closed through midnight.....and maybe into tomorrow......if I am not mistaken....the average coal car can hold 200 tons of coal....that is alot of coal to clean up...PLUS the rail cars

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

I think a coal car hauls 100T, if memory serves me right from looking at all those cars while waiting to get across the tracks. 100 - 200, hey it's a lot anyway you look at it.
    I don't know if it means anything or not, but there's a couple ambulances staged at the wreck site and AirEvac 11 is also standing by there. Maybe somebody got hurt that we haven't heard about. This came from the radio traffic between the ambulances, AirEvac and the state police. Have to listen to the news tonight.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Holy coal dust! I drive right under that overpass at least 4 times a year
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Mikey, I thought about you when this happened. If you had been going down yesterday, you could have detoured off 57 at Mt. Vernon and came right through Ashley and just past DuBois. We could have met! Sure was a lot of truck traffic on 51 yesterday afternoon and last night. Guess they figured out that was the best way to get around the mess. I haven't heard if it's opened up now or not, but I'd imagine at least one lane is getting by. They had all the cars picked up by the 10 o'clock news last night and most of the coal was gone. No big deal, just a little inconveience for the travelers. At least it didn't have any methlyethyldoubledeath on it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Got to talk to a CNRR employee who was helping lay new track up to the bridge. He says they're focusing on a broken rail as the possible cause. Sounds like the bridge is structurally OK and trains should again be going across it soon.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information