Forum Member

Default Sam Houston vs New Yorker

I am planning buying a leather this week, and would like some input on the differences between the two. The Houston is NFPA where the New Yorker is just OSHA, is that just because of the optional goggles? What if any are the other differences? Shape, weight, any thing else? THANKS.

Forum Member

Don't rule out the Phenix 1500TL2. I bought one after I tried all three on and found it sat lower, was lighter, and cost me $120 less.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

stretch13,

There is an additional NFPA required membrane in the impact shell that is independent of the eye issue.

You really opened a can of worms here. But I've worn both Sam Houston and New Yorker.(also Metro660s, BenII's and Ben I's) I prefer the New Yorker. I don't loose any sleep over the issue and would have no problem with my own child wearing one.

As long as you aren't some Left Coast Sissy Mary with a pencil-neck and purse in your hand, you won't notice the slight difference in weight.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-10-2004 at 10:02 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFFRED
    stretch13,

As long as you aren't some Left Coast Sissy Mary with a pencil-neck and purse in your hand, you won't notice the slight difference in weight.

FTM-PTB
    And in this corner fighting out of the "Plastic Helmet Gym" we have Bou DING DING...

Permanently Removed

Default LOL...

Originally posted by snowball

And in this corner fighting out of the "Plastic Helmet Gym" we have Bou DING DING...
    I wasnt going to touch this one. I have to back the Phenix
    if your bent on leather. Their web address is-
    www.phenixfirehelmets.com

Don't rule out the Paul Conway American Heritage leather helmet. It's lighter, it's dyed and wrapped leather so it won't chip, and it sat nice on my head when I tried it on today. I put one on order. The base price, from the manufacturer, is roughly $100 less than the BASE MODEL New Yorkers and $120 less than a base model Sam Houston.
    I speced out my ideal New Yorker and it came to around $559 and the Houston I wanted came to $589. A BIG difference than the $317 for the Heritage. Now, if you want to double up your eye protection and add the more expensive ear flaps, the Heritage can run up to approximately $430. Still $120 and $150 less.

Plus, the American Heritage meets NFPA because it's leather wrapped around fiberglass composite.

And, to me, it looks better than the New Yorker and Sam Houston. They just..look weirdly bulbous in the middle

My 2 cents.
    "What a WACKER!"

"When in doubt, pull the 2 1/2."

"Here junior, reach out the window and put that redlight on the roof...That's right, hawaii Five-O style! Get it on!"

Permanently Removed

Default LOL...

FTM-PTB

LOL...that was pretty funny. I liked that one...Bou

Forum Member

Default Helmets

Wow! LOL. What a thing to say. Our department is getting ready to order 25 of the Paul Conway helmets. We liked them alot better than the others we looked at. Just figured I would let you know.

auk

Protective Economist

stretch13,

There is an additional NFPA required membrane in the impact shell that is independent of the eye issue.
    NFPA does not require any type of membrane. The NFPA standards specify performance, which means the manufacturer then decides how to meet that performance specification. The N6A (Houston) complies with the impact and performance testing set out in NFPA 1971. The N5A (New Yorker)does not comply with NFPA performance specifications.

The N6A is compliant only if it is equipped with the proper eye protection.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Originally posted by firemanjb
    The N6A (Houston) complies with the impact and performance testing set out in NFPA 1971.
    Which is actually a penetration issue. The extra piece of kevlar prevent penetration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Which is actually a penetration issue. The extra piece of kevlar prevent penetration.
    Thank you HFD66truck, That was the membrane I was refering to. I just couldn't remember what it was made of.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information