MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy looking to get hired in Florida

I would like to know the best way to approach this process. I am 33 and have received my firefighter I & II in January, currently mid way past EMT. I plan to go right into medic school after EMT.
    Question: Would it be a good idea to start applying for a position at departments so I may be on the list or wait until I am half way through medic school? I have heard of some being hired and then having to quit medic school and go back through because the departments hired them. Little lost, little confused, but will not stop until I get a badge!

Thanks
    Ttotallyfirm@aol.com
    Last edited by totallyfirm; 07-11-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Forum Member

I would suggest getting your name out there, apply and let them know you are planning to go to medic school right after EMT school. Some departments will even put you through medic school, after they give you a job. If you get hired as a FF/EMT you can some colleges will work with you on a regular shift. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Indiana and want to move to FL. I am a career FF/EMT with Chesterton Fire Dept. My question is how do I transfer all my FF. certs. to FL.standards?

Forum Member

To transfer certifications to Florida is hard to do but not impossible, it does take some time. Contact the Standards and Training Division of The Florida State Fire College in Ocala.
    Web site address is:www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/fsfc/index.shmtl
    also check out the state forum on this website it will give more information good luck.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Florida firefighter Certs

Kjohn23,

Yes it's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I tried to challenge the Florida State Certs, but the problem is that DOD or any State Firefighter 1 & 2 is 260 hrs. and Florida State Firefighter is 360hrs. I submitted my

Nat. DOD Firefighter I & II
    Nat. DOD Haz-Mat Ops.
    SC Firefighter I
    Nat. EMT-Medic Card
    Nat. Fire Officer I & II
    Nat. Driver Engine & Ladder
    Nat. DOD Haz-Mat Tech.

They told me I must go to a State of Florida Fire School to get my certs in Florida. All out-of-state firefighters MUST go to a Fl. Fire School!!
    Last edited by marine12; 07-26-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Florida Certifications

I talked to the people in Ocala at the Training and Standards Division. I was basically told that it doesn't matter how many or what type of certifications I currently hold (which are numerous- see above), in order to work there I needed to have FL State training. They say they offer a state challenge exam, but the requirements that they maintain are far and beyond what any other program in the country have.
    I contacted Pro-Board about the matter and they informed me that they have "washed their hands" of the Florida statutes. They are outrageous and have chosen not to work with the rest of the nation when it comes to firefighting standards.
    I was advised to just participate in a FL training academy or seek employment in another state.
    I am a federal firefighter with national certifications. FL told me that in order to become a firefighter I had complete my certs over again.

Forum Member

Default Re: Florida firefighter Certs

Originally posted by marine12
    Kjohn23,

Yes it's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I tried to challenge the Florida State Certs, but the problem is that DOD or any State Firefighter 1 & 2 is 260 hrs. and Florida State Firefighter is 360hrs.
    260 hours does not equal 360 hours when I went to school
    Florida certification exceeds the hours of training that pro board requires.
    Florida State Statutes are online if you would like to read it, the chapter would be 633
    Last edited by kjohn23; 07-15-2004 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down 260 isn't = to 360

Yes that is what I was trying to say. You said that challenging the test in Florida is a long but possible process. How is it possible if no other state can match the 360 hours required by Florida? A candidate will never meet the requirements unless they train at a Florida school.
    You seem to be saying the same thing as I am but yet adding that it is still possible to challenge the test. If you can show me a training facility other than Florida that is 360 hours including PT, quizzes, and exam time, then I might buy into being able to challenge. Until that time I think you are mistaken to believe that any individual with national certification (Pro-Board or DOD) can challenge the Florida standards.

former FH.com member

Lightbulb Re: 260 isn't = to 360

Originally posted by marine12
    How is it possible if no other state can match the 360 hours required by Florida? If you can show me a training facility other than Florida that is 360 hours including PT, quizzes, and exam time, then I might buy into being able to challenge. Until that time I think you are mistaken to believe that any individual with national certification (Pro-Board or DOD) can challenge the Florida standards.
    Actually, there are other states that require MORE hours than Florida. The Texas Commission on Fire Protection requires :"For basic structure fire protection certification, individuals must complete a 468-hour curriculum, hold Emergency Care Attendant (ECA) or higher certification from the Texas Department of Health (or equivalent emergency responder training), and pass the commission examination (written and performance)." So there's your example. You are right though, Florida is assinine for refusing to cooperate with the rest of the country as far as reciprocity. I suspect it's all about the $$$$$$$$$ for them. -46

Default dod certs accepted

i challenged the state board with my dod certs from the army and they accepted the challenge the deal is who you know not what you now its possible just apply at differnt deptments the state of fl. is big now on accepting national certs and are connsidering accepting dod medic certs also

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hired in fl

who did you talk to and a number would be great im trying to do the same. get hired in fl.

Thumbs down State of Florida Firefighter Certs.

Brothers,
    I also tried to challenge the State of Florida Firefighter certs. about 2(two)years ago, I was told my DOD Firefighter I & II and my Haz-Mat's certs are no good in the State of Florida and I should in-roll in a State of Florida Fire School. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$

Forum Member

Thumbs down FL Firefighters Certs.

CFDEngine512,

Bureau of Fire Standards and Training at: (352) 369-2800 or 11655 NW Gainesville Road, Ocala FL 34482-1486.

Gooooooooooooooood Luck Brother

Lightbulb Federal Firefighters

Isn't Tyndall in Florida ?? The Home of the DOD Fire & Emergency Services Academy.....I think it is . It's all about the green.

AFGE Federal Firefighters
    http://www.afgefirefighters.org/

MembersZone Subscriber

it is not really about the green....if i understand this right, it is about native Floridians having first crack at the available jobs and to keep all the snow birds from flocking and flooding the market so to speak, back in the early 90's florida was accepting out of state training at face value, a lot of people from ohio i know went down with just a 36 hr volunteer card and were handed a FFI card from Florida, now even in ohio a 36 hour card doesnt give you full FFI, but just enough to get hurt....I can sympathsize with you guys...i just took to Florida Challenge for Paramedic, my FFI&II card from Ohio which is 240 hours, can not be challenged because the syllabus hours for each subject are not the same. Florida Requires more on each subject than most states Texas excepted, also Florida is using the National Registry for all new EMT's but not for Paramedic. it is a strange state but i will jump through whatever hoops i have to, if it means going to a Fla Fire class...then maybe i will be the smartest in the class!!!!! just kidding!!!!, good luck to all in the future.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Question Florida Certs ???????????

I apply to the State of Florida with my New York State Pro-Board Firefighter & Haz- Mat Ops. certs. They told me that I could not challenge thair Firefighter test. Why ??????

If not New York State
    If not Ohio
    If not DOD
    If not Pro-Board
    WHAT State certs do they Take ??????

MembersZone Subscriber

none but their own
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Thread Information