Thread: quint questions

Forum Member

Default quint questions

I need your opinion, I just learned how to set up the quint and operate it. My question was, in your opinion would it be easier to run it with a 2 joysticks and all the buttons on the sticks. Just a crazy idea.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Permanently Removed

Default ???

Huh?

My Atari 2600 has a joystick with buttons. Does that count?

Forum Member

what i mean, is instead of the control arms that move up and down. Have 2 joystick handles, one for aerial control and the other for monitor control. The rudder axis would turn the table left and right, the elevator axis would move the ladder up and down, the alieron axis would extend and retract the flys. The trigger could be for fast idle / regular idle. The other buttons could control the lights and comm systems. The other handle would be just for the monitor, left, right, up , down, fog---straight.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

I get nervous when people compare operating an aerial to a Flight Simulator game.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

the 4-1-4

I get nervous when someone puts a pump on an aerial ladder.

Forum Member

Some firefighters can't even handle three levers.. and you want to confuse them with aircraft controls?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Here's my Favorite Quint.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

IACOJ BOD

You start running any Fire Truck with one of these, and you are on your own sunshine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Forum Member

Well it works pretty good for construction equip, a good friend of mine works with a construction company. The crane that he operates has joystick controls, has no problems with it. The crane I think is a DeMag crane.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

im sure that the fine people at pierce/smeal/e-one/whoever have designed their controls that way for a reason. maybe for ease of opperation, so things are not cluttered. what if you wear gloves while its cold outside, are you going to be able to opperate all those little buttons on the joysticks then?

Forum Member

Exclamation Re: quint questions

Originally posted by CaptainMikey
    I need your opinion, I just learned how to set up the quint and operate it. My question was, in your opinion would it be easier to run it with a 2 joysticks and all the buttons on the sticks. Just a crazy idea.

JOYSTICKS?????

I too, get very uneasy when folks start calling controls on fire apparatus something besides what the corrrct name is. The aerial ladder has three main controls:

Elevate/Lower - Rotate - Extend/Retract PERIOD!!!

WHY call them something else that has been the correct name for ever how long they have been there. I know that the name were there in 1957! That is when I learned them. This is what the companies that make them call and label tem. plus it is what is referred to in all apparatus operation manuals.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: quint questions

Originally posted by allineedisu

JOYSTICKS?????

I too, get very uneasy when folks start calling controls on fire apparatus something besides what the corrrct name is. The aerial ladder has three main controls:

Elevate/Lower - Rotate - Extend/Retract PERIOD!!!

WHY call them something else that has been the correct name for ever how long they have been there. I know that the name were there in 1957! That is when I learned them. This is what the companies that make them call and label tem. plus it is what is referred to in all apparatus operation manuals.
    Easy there......

A Joystick is a TYPE of control, not how it is labeled.......

Just like a Volume Control on a radio is a rotary knob.........

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: quint questions

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Easy there......

A Joystick is a TYPE of control, not how it is labeled.......

Just like a Volume Control on a radio is a rotary knob.........
    The correect term for a volume control is a "potentiometer" or "pot" for short.

Back when I was in college radio, not "neutralizing the pots" (turning the volume all the way downwhile "normalizing the boards") as a sure fire way of getting your butt munched!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: quint questions

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

The correect term for a volume control is a "potentiometer" or "pot" for short.

But even the pot knob has been replaced by buttons which digitally controls the volume without a true potentiometer.

Technically there's probably no reason you can't control an aerial with a joystick. I know heavy equipment like trackhoes (excavators if you prefer) can be plumbed in a variety of ways to suit the operator. It would probably be an easy option for a manufacturer to offer. I'd say it could even be done without the buttons.

Would it be woth the extra engineering to the manufacturer? Probably not.

I do think that joystick control for the master stream is a good idea, though. That's something that the nozzle manufacturer has control over and it might be worth it to them if enough people demanded it.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

dazed and confused

hahahaha - mikey, that is/was a good "Quint" lol

At the very least, I think it would make a lot of sense to have the rotate controls move left and right, versus front and back.

It makes sense for raise/lower and extend/retract, but it doesn't make sense for rotation.

I know some departments have departed from NFPA and have had their aerial controls configured this way.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

I really didn't think about it until now, and it's probably a little outdated, but......

Our 1977 Pierce/Int'l 50' Tele Squrt has a "joystick" control for the ladder. The "joystick" is kind of L-shaped coming off of the back of the truck and moving it up and down raises/lowers the ladder, moving it left and right extends/retracts the ladder and rotating it to the left and right controls the left/right movement of the ladder. I will have to try to take a couple pics and post them........

MembersZone Subscriber

Our retired '77 Snorkel and our '02 KME Tower both have single joystick controls in the bucket. Aerialscopes have always had them. Many manufacturers offer them as an option for the platform. I don't see any reason you couldn't get one at the pedestal if you requested it.

Default Aerialscope

I find the "joystick" of an aerialscope much easier to control than the three levers in the bucket of our pierce tower ladder. The throttle "trigger" on the "joystick" in the aerialscope is also easier than the toggle switch in the bucket of the pierce. I'd like to see a rig with a "joystick" at the turn-table!
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157
    York, ME Fight'n Four :P

"Ridin with pride" 1971 American LaFrance, former Hartford CT ENGINE 15
    "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb I've Spotted Them................

Easy to tell who the Video Game crowd is................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

All new Tele-Squirts have a joystick style control, as described by firenresq77. Metz aerials are operated using a dual joystick setup, run from an ergonomically designed operators seat. (scroll down on the link for info on operational features)
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information