Thread: 2006 Fdny Test

Forum Member

Talking 2006 Fdny Test

Hey Guys, great to read your postings I unfortunately was too young to take the 2002 test for FDNY by two months. Like you I am obsessed with the job but all my friends in the department have been in a long time and are not to overly familar with the testing procedures. I would greatly appreciated If I could get some info on any BOOKS to read for the written and the best way to prepare overall for the physical. Does residency count if I have just a mailing address in NYC. Thanks so much I hope one day to be on the job with you all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey fdnyrules71 --

I'm on the current list, exam #2043, with a number of 2363. I got one wrong on the written and aced the physical, but didn't get any points for residency/veterans etc.

At any rate -- if you get the book "Arco Firefighter" (try Amazon) that has actual FDNY tests. That was a HUGE help to me. I didn't take any courses, just found every book that had a FDNY test and that definitely helped in a huge way for me.

In terms of the physical test, I was in pretty good shape, but I went to firefightersworkout.com and purchased a custom workout with the goal of passing the physical test. Between that workout AND going to EVERY OPPORTUNITY FDNY offers to go do a run-through of the physical test made the difference. I'm positive if I hadn't gone to those orientations, I would have screwed up on my one chance to ace it.

You have plenty of time... you have two years till the written (which the way the city goes may even be pushed up to December of 2006) and then the physical test probably won't be give till Summer of 2007. But, I bet if you get started and working your tail off now, you'll be ready to ace both tests...

Good Luck

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

Forum Member

Martinez, I appreciate the reply, its hard for me b/c i constantly have a ton of questions of the process. Currently I am a PA fireman and i consider myself in pretty decent shape but what i consider and what is true are two different things. Do you suggest getting a 50lbs vest and just doing the stepmill with just a 1ft drop for like 10 minutes a couple times a week and just running the rest of the time. Also do you know how they check for residency would just changing my mailing address to a relatives be enough. Anyway best of luck to you, I have seen your name posted all over so I know you are a serious candidate you definetly will get hired its just a matter of when. Once again thanks for the feed back.

MembersZone Subscriber

fdnyrules71 -- a matter of when -- you aint kidding! Story of my life...
    My suggestions:

1 - Be careful about the residency thing. I know guys have put other addresses down and gotten the extra 5 points , but if you're caught, you're done, bumped, pounced, off the list. From what I've seen and heard, they are checking a bit harder than they did. No doubt some guys have gotten by, but I still believe honesty is the best policy.

2 - The stairmaster with the 50lb vest/weights is a great workout. I've done a mix of things from running, to doing the stairmaster with the weight. As long as you're doing cardio stuff that gets your heart rate up, (as well as doing weight training) you should be in pole position. I would think your training with your department in PA would also come in handy. But the harder and more serious you are about Physical training now, the easier it will get come test time.

Speaking for myself, the Physical test was one of the most challenging things I've ever done. Boot camp/SAT test all rolled into one and then no confirmation I aced it for almost 9 months. But I'll tell you, I thought it was one of my greatest accomplishments. As I sat in my car after the test, heart still pounding for almost a half an hour in 90 degree heat /90% humidity late august, was one of the greatest "natural highs" I could have had. Didn't sleep a wink that night I was so psyched.

With 2 years to prepare, I can only imagine how psyched you'll be.

Good Luck, and I'll be happy to pass whatever I know on to you, as I'm sure other guys here would as well... Post or email me direct.

Take it easy bro,

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

If I remember correctly, they ask for a DL and a lease and/or two utility bills in your name for the residency. I'm not positive on this however. Where in PA do you live?
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

Thanks for the input, I am a firefighter with Engine 71 in Upper Makefield and an EMT at 154 in Levittown Fairless Hills. 78's is Warrington right. Feel free to drop me an email. Take care bro

Thread Information