Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need more help with Military Fire Apparatus

Howdy troops.
    Hope everyone is having a safe summer thus far. Looks like another wild one on the West Coast (USA AND Canada!)
    I need some information (Websites and/or links to that effect) on surplus military fire trucks (US or Canada). I know that there are still quite a few of the older style M35's with the firetruck conversion available as surplus, but I can't find any on-line. I also thought there was a company in PA somwhere that re-furbed old military deauces and M35 firetrucks and re-sold them to civies, but I can't find them on my search engines.
    I have a an old army buddy with a large wood lot operation that wants an old army firetruck as 'asset protection' (insurance catch phrase) to lower his insurance cost and protect his operation. He has an old 'water buffalo' trailer already. I told him I'd try to get some feelers. Any help would be much appreicated. Many thanks in advance if you have ANY information. Regards,

Pat

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Here is the best one I have ever seen...

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

I am currently working on the Project 58. We want to put one of these on each of our brush trucks. They should work great for chasing down our fast running prairie fires.

I have been having some trouble with getting the machine work done, I dropped it off at a local shop...3 months later no mast piece!

I vow I will complete the project though, I love remote control things like that.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Samson,

I know of some software that allows you to design a part, and then order it made to your specs.

Once I find my copy of PC Magazine I'll get you the name

EDIT: Oh, and stay away from any Rosenbroken military fire apparatus...Or was that Rosenbauer?

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by 42VTExplorer
    Samson,

I know of some software that allows you to design a part, and then order it made to your specs.

Once I find my copy of PC Magazine I'll get you the name

EDIT: Oh, and stay away from any Rosenbroken military fire apparatus...Or was that Rosenbauer?

Hey, that might work! The design is already available from the plans.

It is a 1.5 inch piece of stanless steel rod, 11.78 or so inches long. You have ot have it bored out to .98 inches inside diameter, and you have to have the outside diameter of each end turned down to fit an bearing in a pillow block, just over and inch ID for the bearing. Then you have to have pipe threads cut just over an inch deep on each end of the peice.

Simple!!!

That is the main drawback to the Project 58 remote monitor, the machined out stainless rod is a expensive piece!

The guy that I have working on it said he thinks it would be easier to get a piece of stainless pipe that would be loose in the bearings, and the build up the OD to fit right. That is what he is working on, trying to cut the cost a bit...

But the time factor is getting to me, I wanted a few of these on the brush trucks my July...

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Samson, I might be able to manufacture that myself in the machine shop. I go back to work this Saturday so I'll see what I have laying around for stock steel.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Try to find Memphis..........

I don't have a link, but try to find something on Memphis Equipment Co. They are a Military Surplus Equipment dealer. Also, you might repeat this thread under "Wildfire" here in the forums.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Might help...

This might help. You can find a lot of fed. govt.
    information here-

www.fedworld.gov

Forum Member

If you are talking about the old 530 series military fire engines, those went out of use in the late 1970's, most of the fire apparatus built on military cargo trucks are just standard surplus cargo or water tankers converted to firefighting after purchase.

530B
    Used from WW2 to sometime in the 1970's

http://www.dodfire.com/Album/Library10/html/530-b.htm

The military has used the same equipment as everyone else since the late 1970's

Here is a current Air Force Engine

http://www.dodfire.com/Album/Library4/html/P-22-1.htm
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 07-13-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Thread Information