Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Used Utility Truck

My department is researching the use of a utility vehicle for off-road rescues, general equipment hauling, etc. I am needing a good website to where I can go and research used fire utility trucks or military surplus trucks. I also need a good recommendation on what we should be looking for in a good off road utility truck. I was thinking maybe a 4dr chevy or jeep. I need an opinion on what other FD's use.

Thanks

gfd632

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Get a surplus HUMMER ambulance...

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

In our department we use a Jeep as a utility vehicle. It goes almost anywhere and has the ability to carry some equipment. The problem is that you can only move two people and we only take 50 gallons of water with us. Another idea would be to get an ATV or two and trailor them with a 4x4 SUV.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Department bought an used Type III ambulance and converted it into a utility vehicle. The conversion included taking out the cot and equipment on the floor to hold the cot, onboard oxygen, and taking the cabinets out inside the box. We then had the CPR seat extended so that there is a bench seat on each side of the box and two SCBAs in brackets. It has worked great for us - carries lots of equipment and personnel. Perhaps if you wanted a 4x4, you could do a similar conversion with a Type I ambulance? Just an idea. Good luck.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And Here's Another Approach........

Check with the State Forester's Office in your state, there is a Federal Program that provides surplus government vehicles to VFDs thru the state forestry departments in most states. Here in Maryland, many VFDs have gotten 4X4 Pickups and built brush trucks from them. There are vehicles other than pickups available. Let us know how you make out.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Here in VT we have the same program.

One town received two military blazers (one for PD and Fire) and I believe 3 deuce-and-halfs (for brush work).

Another department in the state has a used military pickup truck.

I believe a Vermont town received an ambulance from the Air-Guard because it could not be used due to licensing balogna..

The vehicles are definately out there if you look.

MembersZone Subscriber

A LOT of good vehicles available thru your state forester from military surplus. They also can get from GSA surplus.

Military surplus vehicles available are 85% milspec and 15% civilian. MANY MANY good late model 2.5T available now with low miles. Also 813 series 5T trucks. Likely what you want for your application. There a still mid 80s Chevy CUCCV pickups (1t Diesel Auto) available. Limited load capacity so if you want to haul water (wildland truck) pretty limited by widely used.

I held out until I found exactly what we wanted. Tracked down and received an Air Farce surplus 1988 International 1856 4x4 dump truck. 100% civilian truck, Diesel, Automatic, 24000mi. Only cost was driving 350mi to pickup. Remove dump box (sell), install alum flatbed, 600gal tank, boxes, pump, etc for wildland truck.
    Last edited by neiowa; 07-16-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Thread Information