Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Trying to get started

Hello,
    Im current in the Marine Corps, I've served 6 months in Iraq and currently have one year left on my contract. I have reviewed all my future goals and decided i want to become a figher fighter I really just dont know how to go about getting started. I just enrolled in a 5 month EMT course.I am wondering where I should go from there? I have been told about Fire Science courses and that being a paramedic is a must. What else should i know? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member

Default Hiring

Hey, it really depends on where you are trying to get hired. If you are shooting for the big city's you have to wait for the civil service test and than take the test and the physicals. At the present time none of the major metropolitan fire dpt are testing that I know of. If you do try for the larger cities don't bother with paramedic certs, fire science degrees b/c it will not help you get hired. The focus with big cities is passing there test and learning their way. If you think you want to go to a smaller town or city down South definetly get your paramedic and make sure it transfers to that state b/c a lot of southern states will not look at you without paramedic. I do not know were you live, however, when you get back if you have a local volunteer dpt join up and get firefighter 1 firefighter 2, also a Vehicle Rescue Cert. This will help you get hired if you decide to become a federal firefighter or a small town ff. Unfortunately, firefighting jobs as everyone on here will tell you are extremely competive and the waits are long. Hope this helped any questions post back up.

Im hoping to go small town around New England area Mass.

Thread Information