Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

>>Think of it this way, with fire department personnel finding the cause and origin, law inforcement is free to fight crime. Once the investigation points to arson it can be jointly investigated or handed over completely.<<

In actuality, this is the perfect arrangement. A task force approach is even better. In NYC, there is an Arson/Explosion section in the NYPD. In theory, they work with the FDNY BFI and handle the criminal invest. following the O&C invest. I have worked with these guys and they have, 100% of the time, spoke very highly and complimentary of the FDNY BFI.

I don't know squat about the DFD, so I have no opinion on what is best, but it sounds like they have the structure in place for a helluva task force. The statutory impediment is something that could be overcome easily with the right legislative support.

>>Is it possible to take a cop and dedicate him to determining cause and origin for basicly his entire career?<<

I was a full time LEO for 20 years, assigned to fire investigation full time for 17. It is certainly possible.

>>Besides George cops will continue to go into burining buildings regardless if we do so called Law enforcement so they can get their two days off for detox. <<

I hope that this statement is used in jest, as mine was. If not, it is an idiotic thing to write.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

Also my point was I have many friends in LE and as a matter of practice thier PDs encourage officers to rotate divisions or units or whatever you call them every few years. There are a number of reasons for this, but I am sure you are aware there is a difference between getting shifted from homicide to vice than a shift from street crimes to Fire Cause Investigation /Arson. It doesn't translate as well. While it is commendable you focused much of your training and expertise on that specific area of crime...I don't know that there aren't that many out there who are willing to do that on the PD side. (or at least from the cops I know.)

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FFFRED
    Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

Also my point was I have many friends in LE and as a matter of practice thier PDs encourage officers to rotate divisions or units or whatever you call them every few years. There are a number of reasons for this, but I am sure you are aware there is a difference between getting shifted from homicide to vice than a shift from street crimes to Fire Cause Investigation /Arson. It doesn't translate as well. While it is commendable you focused much of your training and expertise on that specific area of crime...I don't know that there aren't that many out there who are willing to do that on the PD side. (or at least from the cops I know.)

FTM-PTB
    There are more than you might think. Here is what I tell young cops...

If you retire as a narcotics cop, homicide cop or something similar, what are you going to do with that? If you want a secure, well paying job whem you pull the pin, fire investigation is where it's at.

Francis

In Illinois there are Fire Investigators and ARSON Investigators. As a CFI, I do cause and origin, interviews etc. Our 2 Fire Department Arson Investigators have the power of arrest. I believe the police portion is about 200 hours of classroom time. The Chicago Fire Department has the Office of Fire Investigations who does the cause and origin. When they determine it to be criminal, it gets turned over to the Police Bomb and Arson unit. In the suburbs,there are several active task forces that include Local, State and Federal fire and law enforcement agencies.Our local P.D. is not interested in fire/arson investigations but do assist when requested with things like evidence techs etc. It seems to work.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Default And no, it's not a turf thing to me

DianeC : I guess it depends on the jurisdiction -- as volunteers, we clean up and leave, we don't hang around and try to determine what the cause and origin is/was.

Speak for yourself. There are many Vollie units that do their own fire investigation. Our county has an arson task force with members from each FD. The task force has had a lot of successfull investigations.

DianeC :And fighting arson is fighting a crime.
    Just curious, do police really fight crime, or do they make an arrest after a crime has been committed?

----------------------------------
    A task force is always a great idea. You get the people from fire to do the fire related investigations. You get the police to do the rest of the investigation - and the arrest.

Once again, George nailed it.

Thread Information