Forum Member

Default washer/extracter

what kind of washer/extracters do you use and what are your opinions ...??? what kind of prices are they...doing some research for possible purchase...thanks

Forum Member

Red face

I think this has been talked about before.

Here is my 2 cents again:

1. Lay hose on apparatus floor or rear ramp

2. Hose down with 1-1/2 hose line attached to hose bib

3. Apply some type of soap that you put in 5 gallon bucket with warm water

4. Use brooms or scrub brushes to wash the hose to free the dirt and other crap that got on the hose at the big one

5. Rinse very well with hose line, flipping hose on the floor several times

6. Hang in hose tower or place on hose drying racks

7. Put up the wahing materials and go get a soda pop or a cup of coffee

Have a safe tour and go home like you arrived for duty.

Forum Member

sorry my bad..I mean for gear...

Forum Member

Exclamation

OOPS---------

Thought you was referring to hose. Sorry.

Any how, we have a contract with the local fire equipment dealer. We let them do all our turn out gear twice a year or when ever it needs it. This way they have to worry about all the costs and disposal of any water that may have chemicals or other bad stuff in it.

It is a lot cheaper to go this way, is our feeling. They pick up the gear, wash and dry it and return it back to the stations. We don't have extra members that could be assigned to do this task.

Forum Member

We have a industrial sized washer and dryer, it works great, But I am unsure of the brand and model of it though.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

We're using a Unimac 35 which will wash two complete sets of gear at a time.It's a very nice unit,user friendly and does a great job on cleaning the gear.Priced in the $5k range.This is an industrial washer/extractor made for this job not to be confused with a less expensive home version.T.C.

Forum Member

We have 6 Milnor units and 2 commercial Speedqueens I think. The Milnors are expensive but they are the only ones that do not agitate until the drum is filled therefore preventing undo friction on the gear material.
    If we had to do it over again we would not buy anything, We would contract it out to a company to do the washing and record keeping. Right now keeping records on washing gear is impossible because it is done in the stations.
    Lt. Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

Do any of you have any experience or recommendations of Cissell Mfg. Co. washer/extractor equipment? I know that they have been in the commercial washing equipment business for a long time. It won't see a lot of use as we are a rural department with a low run volume.

Forum Member

Dan,Why the problem with record keeping? We have a log near our washer which is required by the Dept. to be filled out whenever gear is washed.And we've had a couple members choose to ignore it,which gets them a chance to visit the Safety/Ops Chief(me).Reasonably easily policed,and a effective way to monitor what's going on.T.C.

Forum Member

Originally posted by AC1503
    Do any of you have any experience or recommendations of Cissell Mfg. Co. washer/extractor equipment? I know that they have been in the commercial washing equipment business for a long time. It won't see a lot of use as we are a rural department with a low run volume.
    I was wracking my brain trying to think of the brand name of our extractor/washer.. and I do believe you hit it on the head with Cissell!

We have had good service from ours, after we found a service person who actually know how the thing worked. The guy who installed it had us using the wrong detergent which was not a good thing. Ours has an automatic dispenser and works like a charm now.

So, I would recommend that you look at the Cissell when you are comparing companies. Go to your local laundromat and ask for the contact person for who installs/services their machines. Since those folks are in town anyway, it would make sense to let them take care of your needs if they can give you a fair price for the initial purchase.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information