Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No jobs

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry No jobs

Can't get a full-time job anywhere in Illinois. All they want are college grads with no experience in fire or EMS. How about the people who are paramedics and Firfighter 3's? Rescue classes and all, and only 21? Can't beleive it?

I think Chicago Fire was or is taking Paramedic applications.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks bud

Maybe they are looking for firefighters and not firfighters? Just kidding. Good luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Mt. Vernon is currently taking applications....call (618)242-6880 to have an app mailed to you.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Jobs

Sometimes it may take going out of state. Here in South Carolina there are jobs available especially if you are a paramedic.

Forum Member

Default Mount Up

Take Any Test You Can!

You've got to be kidding me!

It doesnít take long to figure it out this is a numbers game. Itís been my experience that the more tests you take the better you get at taking tests. Use the shot gun approach and test anywhere you can. Because you never know when a city is going to test again, hire and if you will make it through the various hiring processes of the psych, poly, background, medical and final selection.

I know several candidates who have gone out of their state to take tests in preparation for the "city they really want to work for". Guess what? They get offered jobs. How difficult would it be for you to turn a badge down? Guess where they live and work now?

Understand the more tests you take, the better you will be at taking tests. Then, when the one you really want comes along, you're dialed up ready to nail that badge.

This from a previous posting:

Life Can be Plan B

Jon and his 9-fire technology academy buddies set out to target six departments in the northwest they wanted to work for. Their plan A would cultivate these departments and be in a position when they tested. After almost two years no one got hired or was high enough to be considered. Then Jon read a section of our web site that encouraged candidates to test wherever they could get to.

This made since to Jon especially when he figured out that he was only able to take around two tests a year. Like hands on academy and education skills if you donít use your oral board skills you will get rusty faster than trying to throw a 35í wood ladder or laying a line when you havenít donít it for awhile.

This is not taking into consideration that departments donít always test every two years (LA City and SFFD etc.), switch to medics only (San Jose, Sac City), or hire only laterals (CoCo County).

So, non medic Jon tried to convince his 9 buddies to expand their horizons and establish plan B to test any and every where they could to keep their oral board skills at the cutting edge. None of his buddies were interested because they believed that because of their academy training and education and how they were laying the ground work it would only be a matter of time before one of the six departments on plan A would pay off.

In a short time non-medic Jon found out the more tests he took the better he got at taking tests. His oral board scores started climbing and he was getting called back for chief interviews. Then BINGO! Jon gets a job offer from THE PREMIUM fire department in the southwest (yea, that one). As he was packing to leave he offered our program that helped him get hired to his buddies. He was surprised they werenít interested. Didnít need it. They were still banking on plan A.

Itís now 3 years later and Jonís dream department, THE PREMIUM department in the state of Washington (yep, thatís the one), announces their test. Guess what? Jon gets a job offer and gets to go home with his new bride, also from Washington.

Again he offers our program to his buddies. He is shocked again when they said they donít need it.

So, how many of his 9 buddies were hired during this period of time? None, zip, nada.

Sometimes life can be plan B.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing! And, there is no feeling like proudly wearing the badge." Let me know if I can help you further.

Captain Bob
    Firehouse.Com Contributor

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-27-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Question what do you do...?

What do you do for Cash while your waiting to get all the call backs? I am a Brand new EMTB and I absolutely loved my class and I am just so excited to get started, I have applioed everywhere I can find so far in indiana because my NR is still pending and nothing... what is a girl to do? I now am 22 years old and I work as a freakin lifeguard to get by, I am so seriously broke, and so seriously overqualified. I was accepted into a medic program and I am going for that but in the meantime what do I do? what am I doing wrong? I would take part time, full time, seasonal, temporary, PRN absolutely anything! I am so desperate to get some experience, i understand it takes a while for all the background checks etc... but like i got my card at the beginning of july and i have not had a single call back for anything. my husband is like yelling at me everyday "why dont you have a job yet?" and im like dude i don't know, im trying... I'm even willing to relocate, I have no problem with that. please help! thank you.

Forum Member

emtman... Give it up! It's not healthy to pretend you're a woman !

Red face noo, I'm not EMTMAN or whatever his name is...

I don't collect LR and NS,#1 I'm not certified on IV's and #2 I'm not crazy

Thread Information