Forum Member

Default Learning the trucks

I have noticed for a while here that Explorers (Juniors, Cadets) sometimes during their probationary period are restricted from riding the trucks to calls until they have learned the trucks along with some other material.

My question is, for those posts, whether Explorer, Junior, etc., do the members of your respective FD (Non-Explorer/Jr.) also go through a similar period? If not, how are they introduced and explained the trucks?

For those that do not have periods where a youth (youth=explorer, junior, etc.) cannot ride the trucks, what kind of program, training, regiment, do you implement to make sure the youth is knowledgeable of the trucks before going on a call?

Personally our post does not have that type of restriction, we, as soon as the youth is issued gear and allowed to ride, they are then introduced to the trucks. We first go through the safety portion (seatbelts, things of that nature), then we thoroughly go into each compartment, explaining all of the equipment, its uses, and proper carrying techniques/ use.
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 07-14-2004 at 10:05 AM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Also, forgot to mention, that that first time a youth is introduced to the trucks is def. not their last.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Josh, in one of my posts, myself, the other officers, and the advisors made up a written test for each piece of apparatus that explorers can ride in the department. Explorers can have as little or as much time as they feel neccessary to prepare for the test, and you are allowed two re-takes. In order to ride that piece of apparatus, you must earn a grade higher than a 75.

In the other post, you are required to ride the apparatus in a certain order. You start with the shift commander. In order to move up to the medic vehicle, you must pass a short test with the post and do at least 5 calls with the shift commander. To move up from the medic car you must pass a test on the engine and do at least 10 call with the medic. From the engine you can then move to the ambulance or ladder. What you get to ride basically depends on how active you are in the post.
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157
    York, ME Fight'n Four :P

"Ridin with pride" 1971 American LaFrance, former Hartford CT ENGINE 15
    "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on"

HNFC FF/President

in my company, you can start riding the trucks when you get your turnout gear...which is usually within 1 week of joining the company. On drill nights, an experienced junior will go over the trucks with the new junior for atleast 1 month. For that time, the junior can ride the truck but will be limited to helping the engineer or just staying with the truck. After that first month, if they know the trucks well, they'll be able to do more when we get to the call location. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the trucks.

The same thing goes for non-junior members...the only difference being that Child Labor laws will not apply to them.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Originally posted by SFD333DFD720
    Josh, in one of my posts, myself, the other officers, and the advisors made up a written test for each piece of apparatus that explorers can ride in the department. Explorers can have as little or as much time as they feel neccessary to prepare for the test, and you are allowed two re-takes. In order to ride that piece of apparatus, you must earn a grade higher than a 75.
    Test? What does the test consist of? Tool placement, procedures for using certain peices of equipment on the apparatus? I am curious...
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
    The same thing goes for non-junior members...the only difference being that Child Labor laws will not apply to them.
    I was just curious if non-youths have to go through any type of regiment. Our members also go through the same kind of procedure that we go through, it is just a little more lax, laid back. It gets the job done just the same just the atmosphere is a little more relaxed.

And as for who does it? Either an experienced Explorer (Myself or my LT.) along with an advisor goes through the trucks for the Explorers. As for the members, its everyone who does that just about, usually a Cheif that leads the introduction however.
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 07-14-2004 at 01:08 PM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Our explorers do not ride the trucks, due to saftey and insurance reasons. They are assigned to trucks were they help the fire fighters do weekly maintance checks and are invited to attend work nights and go to drills. As a post, we train on different operations of the trucks to get them all familiar. When an explorer feels they are ready to switch trucks, the Lt will test them and recommend a switch. When our explorers turn 18 they are very familiar with the ins and outs of the truck, and are ready to start riding them. Until then, they practice often. With many Jr's across the county being killed just responding to the dept to ride a truck, we do not encourage riding till 18. When they become members they will have their full of excietment. I feel that many departments should consider taking the explorers off of riding trucks. The liability is too great.

My department is pretty much the same way. We are not allowed to ride the apparatus ON calls. We ride it for training, drill, work detail, and some various occassions. Each cadet as they are called in my department usually knows what company they will join. I'll use myself for a example. My department has 7 companies. I am going to join Engine 7. I now train with that company, I perform work details, respond to STATION for calls but DO NOT ride, and I perform our truck check. Truck Check we take every tool off the truck and insure that it is working order and everything is in the right place. We have to change SCBA bottles, and make sure its all setup and all. During this a cadet/junior/explorer learns the whole truck and where everything is. In my opinion this is the best way to learn the locations of everything on the truck and all you have to do is train on what to do with each things.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Originally posted by FiftyOnePride

Test? What does the test consist of? Tool placement, procedures for using certain peices of equipment on the apparatus? I am curious...

The test has questions about where certain tools are in the compartments....which duties the particular piece of apparatus is assigned to on the fireground....how to safely operate any equipment unique to that apparatus...etc....simple stuff..
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157

Forum Member

Originally posted by SFD333DFD720
    The test has questions about where certain tools are in the compartments....which duties the particular piece of apparatus is assigned to on the fireground....how to safely operate any equipment unique to that apparatus...etc....simple stuff..
    How many questions?

The replies to my post has got me thinking maybe we could try something new. There is nothing wrong with trying something that is going to be productive, and that is what I hope it winds up being.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy

IACOJ

HNFC FF/President

Originally posted by FiftyOnePride

I was just curious if non-youths have to go through any type of regiment. Our members also go through the same kind of procedure that we go through, it is just a little more lax, laid back. It gets the job done just the same just the atmosphere is a little more relaxed.
    Actually, for non-youths...it's a bit more intense. They'll need to know more on where the stuff is and what it's used for. They'll be goin through Fire 1 within the year so they'll need to work with these tools and hose lines on the truck. When we do FAST Company drills, the member has to pack up and grab a tool associated with our FAST team operations...not all tools we carry work for this.

It's a bit more intense, but it pays off in the end.

"GOOD GAME!"

Josh, anywhere from 5-15 questions depending on the rig.....the BC's vehicle is obviously going to have less than the truck or the medic....
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157

Default Curious about this test/quiz???

I was wondering if you could send me a copy of this test for the trucks. In my department recently the cadets/ juniors have had an orientation or a workshop. We plan on having a mandatory workshop- training in august and I would like to come up with a test about the trucks for the new and old. If you could send me a copy of this test is would be appericated. My email is supachica1019@yahoo.com Thanks.

My advisors have the tests....I will have them email me a copy to pass on to you. We have an engine test, truck test, medic (ambulance) test and a command test....which would you like?

Phil
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157

SFD333DFD720,

Can I also get a copy of each test?

Cakjr AT KoledoVision DOT Com

When I get the email I will let you guys know here and then fwd it to you in yur email

Phil
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157

Default Truck test

I would like to get a copy of the ambulance, truck, and engine test if possible. Thank You.

HNFC FF/President

Hey Phil, does the Engine Test contain anything regarding Pump Ops and Hose? I'm the junior pump operator for my company. If the driver of the truck is needed for an extra firefighter, I can take his spot and operate the pump. I know a good deal about those pumps.

If you can and that stuff isn't on the test, you should probably add that.

"GOOD GAME!"

Default Tests

"10-4" cadet13, still waiting for the email from my advisors guys! I think I said earlier that some tests had 15 questions? The most we have is like 8....sorry bout that..

"mdodds" how old are you? thats a lot of liability on a "junior" if you ask me.....thats my PC side though.....I really think that is an awesome thing for your program. It would be useful in my area with the manpower, but you know, "politics" Our test does not contain anything about running the pump on the engine or the aerial on the truck.
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157

HNFC FF/President

Phil, I'm 17 years old and my dad has been a firefighter for 25 years. Why do i mention my dad? He's been one of the primary Driver/Pump Operators for about 18 of those years. I know the pump like the back of my hand. I've operated the pump on a few occasions ranging from small brush fires to larger brush fires while receiving a 4" supply from another truck. Basically you can say that i've operated the pump on just brush fires, but it can be tricky when your receiving water from another engine. It's quite an experience that I wish you could encounter at your age.

"GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Whenever I would ride out, I would arive about 1 hour early and go over the entire truck, check all the pressures on the bottles, test the scba's, check every compartment, test the saws, fill the water cooler if needed, and help the engineer do his checks. Just my way of staying on my toes and knowing the apparatus that I ride on from head to toe.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

We donít ride on the rigs but when an explorer joins, they are introduced to all the equipment (bunker gear, tools, trucks and so on).

Forum Member

When we join we must know the trucks top to bottom with informal quizzes every week usually when we go through the trucks as we leave.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Red face reply

no not us we sign the forms and our parents sign the forms then we are all set to go firemanjarman@officer.com

Forum Member

Default Apparatus

In my hometown juniors program you can only ride the truck when you are 16 or older. Our insurance policy does not allow juniors under the age of 16 to ride. (unless it is a holiday detail, i.e popcorn ball sunday and memorial day.) We do not have a test or anything that tells weather they know the truck or a hydrant. I wish there was that way that a driver knows who is capable of hitting a hydrant. I think it is important that everyone knows how to take a hydrant set up ground ladders and know all the tools. One of the rules in the by-laws is that all juniors are to know all city-wide appartuses. You never know who is going to be on scene and you never know where you are going to need a tool from. Back when I was officer I stressed knowing the trucks the most. I was once told by a driver of my company back when I was a junior he was very proud of the way that we were able to hit a hydrant and was able to get the truck water as fast as we did for a structure fire.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Thread Information