Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new yorkers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default new yorkers

for all those who where new yorkers i have a question?
    if you can see though the brim because it cracked and pieces fell out should it be taken out of service?

Well I dont have or wear a New Yorker, but if its cracked in any shape way or form, it needs to be put OOS.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

I am assuming the area around the wire rim has worn through. The brim isn't part of the protective ensembe requrired by OSHA so it doesn't matter to them. Although it might matter to your dept.

I know many guys who have the same condition on thier lids but it really isn't an issue. Take it to a cobbler (shoe guy) and have him place a new strip of leather over the rear exposed edge. It will give you many more years of service.

Also Bondo always worked well for many guys I know.

If it is that serious though just get a new one. Or have Cairns fix it if they can.

If the shell it self is damaged with a hole in it then yes it should be OOS.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-14-2004 at 12:55 PM.

can see though the brim because it cracked and pieces fell out
    TAKE IT OUT OF SERVICE. The condition should have answered that question itself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

If this question had to be asked, then its no wonder we still keep getting hurt.

I knew a firefighter who had a very "salty" old New Yorker. He bought it used over 15 years ago and at that time it already saw hell and back. He wore it for a few years...

One day he was gathering his gear at the end of the tour and accidentally dropped it on the apparatus floor.

It literally disintegrated.

He got himself another leather lid and takes care of this one.

Leather helmets can last a career if they are cared for.
    If it's falling apart, retire it. Seal the leather and hang it on your wall as a conversation piece.

PS: Bou...gotcha!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

If the wear and tear is not a result of your using the helmet it should never have been on you head to begin with. Get them new and salt them yourself.

JMO

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: new yorkers

Originally posted by Engine11
    for all those who where new yorkers i have a question?
    if you can see though the brim because it cracked and pieces fell out should it be taken out of service?
    *wear

MembersZone Subscriber

BONDO. It works wonders on Leather Helmets.

We have a guy who is an Auto Painter and he paints and repairs Leather Helmets on the side. He just goes to the Fire Store and Cairns and buys the stuff and does it in the paint booth. He is really good....if you got one that needs fixing, shoot me a P.M. and if you are close enough he might be able to fix it. He does take a little while as it isn't his full time job, but he does great work.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Try Marine Tech, found in a marine supply store. It hardens like a rock when it dries and can be sanded and painted.

Thread Information