Default Traveling to St. Louis

Hello All,
    I will be in the St. Louis area the 19th-21st and was wondering which station house would be a good one to visit. I also was wondering if anyone would be willing to trade t shirts and or patches from St. Louis Fire or EMS. Any info would be greatly apprecieated.

-J. Reed

MembersZone Subscriber

You can go to a few places, Fire Head Quaters at Jefferson and Cass. They have alot of St Louis Fire Dept. pictures, also both fire and EMS is dispatched from there. Then you may try Eng Hs 1. Located on S Jefferson at Pestalozi. They have shirts and Squad 1, Collapse unit along with E-1 is staion there. Not sure what you are wanting to see, but this may help. Also there is a new Fire Museum at St Louis Mills Mall in St Charles ( or some where out there), that might be something you may want to see. Good luck and have fun here.. But watch where you go, you can get in some bad places pretty quick. Be safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

eng41ine2001,

While I don't have a clue where the firehouses are...I've been there many times as I have a few friends out there. I can tell you that the North side of St. Louis is very rough. There was a NY Times article about how St. Louis crime rates are among the highest (if not tops) in the Nation. And the city isn't that big in terms of land size so it takes very little time to go from a decent area into a complete war zone.

Also many of the eastern suburbs (Illinois side) are much much worse off and offer little unless you are looking for the some of the best Gentlemens clubs in the country. No joke neither. Just don't bring any pocket knives or anything as a number of them pat you down and use the metal detecting wands. (Remember Nat Lampoons Vacation when Chevy Chase took the wrong turn into East St. Louis? "F--- Yo Mamma")

Larry Flynts, PTs, Brooklyn, IL and Sauget,IL. It is an all night afair you'll never forget

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Definatley check out HQ's. The house I reccomend you visit is Engine House 2, right downtown. Engine 2 has some pretty cool history. When "Union #2" was still a vol. engine co. they had sign that was displayed on the rig, every time they received a new rig a tradition began by transferring it to the new apparatus.That very same sign is still proudly displayed on Engine 2 today.

'The 2's' is home of E2, HnL 6, Medic 2, and Bat. 2 (802). So except for a squad co. you'll get to see each type of co. The only hard part to get in that house is parking. Youll have to park in the no parking zone on Spruce St. where the guys on duty park.

If you go during the weekday you can also visit the FD shops and old drill tower which is basicly in the same building. The guys there are pretty friendly, full of stories, and have no prob w/you lookin around.

If you take a little drive around the corner, head north on Tucker right across from City Hall (visible from the 2's) check out their FF memorial sculpted by a retired STL FF.

Here is a link to addresses to all active engine houses.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/...enthouses.html

Ive a buddy that works at 2's. I know about some other houses too. Let me know if you are interested in seeing some others and if/when you might go to the 2's. If my buddy is workin Ill see if he can give you the nickle tour.

The museum at the mall was cool too. Its just north of the airport. The mall is HUGE. The St. Louis Blues practice there in the indoor hockey rink. If you are bringing family I def. reccomend you check it out.

FFRED is right. There are nieghborhoods in the city that are no place for a tourist. As cool as some of the houses to visit in those areas are, I would NOT venture there w/out someone familar w/the area.

Larry Flynt's is one of the best gentleman's clubs around.

email me or post if you wanna know more.

fieldseng2
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 07-16-2004 at 03:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Jefferson Expansion Memorial in Forest Park used to have a display about the early fire history of St. Louis including the great fire, etc. If you're going to be in that area anyway it might be worth adding to your list of things to do.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Its been a few years since I moved out of the area and been to the museum (actually called the St. Louis Historical Society...The Jefferson Expansion Memorial is the Arch grounds). Im not sure that dispaly is still there since the museum was remodeled and the museum opened @ HQ. But as I said, It's been a number of years since Ive been to the museum in Forest Park.
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 07-16-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Thread Information