MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY News from The Chief-Leader

What's up guys - not a ton of "new" news, but here's somethings from last week's Chief-Leader (the NY Civil Service Newspaper). They continued posting eligible names from the 2043 List. Most of this people might already know, but at any rate, here's a couple of intresting quotes:

"Here are the names and scores of more eligibles on the recently established 7,416 name Firefighter list."

--- That was surprise #1 to me: I didn't realize the final number was only 7,416. That means they really did lose people along the way. By the time we took the written test there was something like 18,000+ taking the test and 14,000 taking the physical test

"Eligibles must pass a qualifying background investigation, drug and alcohol screening, and medical test before they can be hired. They also must have a driver's license and state certification as a first responder for medical emergencies."

--- And so the debate continues -- the CFR-D debate. The Chief-Leader keeps printing this each time they put the list up, but the FDNY website, Exam Notice all say that if you don't have CFR-D, the FDNY will train you for it (but you have to pay for it). I also believe guys who went through the background investigation have confirmed that as well.

"Over 2,000 eligibles received scores in excess of 100 by using a combination of veterans credits, a five-point bonus offered to city residents, and a five point bonus if the candidate had a sibling or parent who died duty."

--- 2,000 of 7,416 had over 100 - that kind of shocked me. Made me feel a bit better since I'm 2363 and don't have any additional points.

That's all I've been able to find out. Figured I'd post a new thread since the MAY FDNY Class one was so friggin long.

Hope all is well out there

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

-- Hard to believe it's going to be a year since I took the physical test and two years since I took the written. Who said patience is a virtue? It's more like a pain in the ***...

cool-

thnx for the bit of info Jim...any news, no matter the size, is still good to hear when it has to do with our dreams...=)

I definitely need to start picking up the Chief...

What's a good place to get it? I hear newstands in manhattan have it, and I hear you can subscribe to it as well. I'd like to take a peek at those names on the list...

Also, keep in mind that this wait we're all experiencing now only sweetens the moment once it arrives. LOL

GL to all 7,416 of us; stay healthy, stay fit, and stay positive.

"The greatest job in the world, fellas...and it's coming our way."

DB

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey DB:

I've actually picked up The Chief-Leader in Yonkers too, I think it just depends what newstand you find it at. Some in Manhattan have it, others don't. Sometimes they sell out. By the way, they raised the price to 75cents a copy as well.

I agree with you, any news is, well, news -- which is in rare supply. And you're right, all this waiting is going to make it that much more of an accomplishment when we finally get to Randalls Island.

Take it easy guys

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

Forum Member

Hey guys good idea about starting the new thread. Anyway thanks for the info martinez. Do they actually print the names of the eligibles in the magazine or was that just a broad quote?

"Here are the names and scores of more eligibles on the recently established 7,416 name Firefighter list."
    I hope to pick-up a copy and subscribe to the magazine. Well anyway thanks for the info and whatever anyone hears may be more then the rest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Subscription Info

Would someone be able to post the subscription info/address here please?

Thanks,

bam

MembersZone Subscriber

www.amazon.com

type in "chief civil service leader". 52 issues for $27.00 plus shipping and handling. that was the best i could do brother. my friend came out #937 and he just had his medical, the investigtor he had told him they went through the 1st 1000 people for medicals and other tests, so that makes me wonder are they doing 1000 people a year or what?? sorry its just driving me crazy cuz i came out 3286 with a 97 final grade. i keep hearing mixed things about my list number mostly good but some what ifs ya know, guess i just gotta wait and see. best of luck to everyone on the list.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well if they have gone through the first 1,000 that's pretty good news. It means there moving through things kind of faster than we thought...

As to subscribing to The Chief here's what it has in the paper:

$27 - check or money order with Name Address, apt # and zip code to The Chief 277 Broadway, New York, NY 10007

Hope is well with all of you guys...

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

this is obviously not official by any means, but i figured its definitely worth sharing...my fathers friend is an newly appointed Lt. somewhere in Brooklyn, but was asked to teach at the rock for this next upcoming class to make 30 or so hours of overtime, but anyway he told my dad this next class is going in sometime mid-late august and will have about 140 guys in it (old and new list), and then the following class will be in november and will have about 300 (all from the new list) like i said this is by no means official but i figured its a somewhat reliable source, take it as you like

FRO #262

Forum Member

Did anyone happen to file an appeal, and if so, have you heard anything about it?

Forum Member

Default Appeal?????

FatherPierce:

I understand that you are asking if anybody has filed an appeal and their outcome. What would someone file an appeal over??? Who would they file the appeal with??? I am in a situation where I didn't get my residency points and cleary put in for it when I took my agility. If you can help me with this then please do and I appreciate it greatly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Xtreme

i had originally had the same problem, but i found out about it at the day i took my physical and i had to go down to DCAS in manhattan and change it there...my friend also had the same problem but he didnt find out until a few months ago, but he was able to have it changed before the list was established...i dont know if they can do anything now, but that all has to go through DCAS...i dont personally have the number maybe somebody on here who reads this does...hope this helps some...

FRO #262

Forum Member

FRO I see that your number is 262. Congratulations first of all and second have you gone throught the whole process yet? If you have did you have to meet with a psychiatrist yet? I had heard rumor that they weren't having anyone meet with them cause they wanted to expedite the list. Also, when will the background investigator call you or do you have to contact them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

i have a quick question maybe someone can answer, our list wasnt supposed to be established until nov 04 meaning that the december 04 class would have started our list. however they took guys off of our list for the may and sept. classes, does this mean that our list officially already started and we already went through 2 classes even though we only got to represernt a fraction of those classes, or were they more like "extra classes" because according to the chief leader our list "doesnt start officially until november." hope i didnt confuse anyone, im just trying to get as many facts staright as i can, good luck to everyone. be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

XTREME

yeah i did everything in march, and you shouldnt have to contact them, what happens is that they send you a packet of paperwork in the mail that you need to fill out, and with it will be a date for you to report to metrotech to hand it in and meet with your investigator, and everything else goes from there...as far as meeting a psychiatrist i personally havent heard of anyone having to do so, i believe it is only if they have a red flag with your psych exam so you can explain yourself

UDFD

officially december is the first class that will have ONLY guys from the new list, but our list has been established and available since early may...the guys they have taken off so far were to fill in the empty spots b/c they have gone through every guy on the old list, so this next class (september) will consist of the stragglers that are left from the old list and again some guys from the new list...hope that helps

good luck to both of you and everyone else on the list...be patient

FRO #262

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's something new:

The FDNY website has removed the list/class update section...

Hopefully they're updating it with more concrete information (but I'm a little skeptical)

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

i just checked the site and the list update section is up but its still the same old information from what i can see. good luck bro

MembersZone Subscriber

UDFD26: Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see it. I refreshed the page and it's not there (at least the link to the update page from the homepage isn't there) and when I click the employment section, there's only info about the next tests and CFR-D stuff.

Jim

martinez24@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

CURRENT LIST UPDATES

Its still there. Have to go into the Employment section, click under Firefighter and then the link "Current List Updates".

Still in the holding pattern.

Good luck all.

bam

Thread Information