Default Station duties for a "junior member?"

I'm probably going to be opening up a can of worms, but I think it's time we get a new topic going about this. I'm posting this in the general firefighting section because I'd like to see alot of replies from non "Junior Members" too.

Recently in a thread (See this link) about window washing (hehe, a station duty!), it was said that (I'm going to paraphrase) that a "Junior Member" should not always be asked to do a task, because they might feel used and lose interest. Why shouldn't a "Junior Member" have station duties if they want to be "one of the guys" during a shift?

Here's a few specific questions for the "Junior Members"...

*Are you ever asked to do the duties the crew is doing?
    *If yes, is it on a regular basis?
    *Do you volunteer to help with these duties?
    *Are you assigned station duties?
    *If yes, what do these duties include?
    *Do you think you should not be asked to do these duties?
    *Does it bother you to help out?
    *What happens if a task is not completed?

I generally just want to get a feel for how the "Junior members" feel about this and see the replies from adults. We have a new post that's still "starting" and I think this will be a good backing for why we should have duties, along with discussing the converse.

Answer: Any time I'm there, if the crew is doing something, I'll do it with them.

Answer: Yup. Every shift.

Answer: I'll say this, I'm not asked to help, I'm already helping.

Answer: Yup. I'm assigned whatever the guys haven't already started before I get there.

Answer: Whatever the guys haven't gotten to (I don't have transportation till around 7:30, crew starts at 7 AM. We "start" about 7:45)

Answer: No. If I want to be a member of the crew, I should have the same responsibilities while at the station as any other person.

Answer: Nope.

Answer: Get spoken to by a member of the crew, most likely officer or chief.

All in all, it's not too bad in my opinion to be assigned duties, or be required to help.

Edit: If I remember correctly Bou might have some kind words about cleaning toilets.
    Last edited by 42VTExplorer; 07-15-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Ok, Let me just say something since the post refered to here is tied to me at one point. I am not saying that a junior should not have station duties because I personnaly am always doing things when im at the station but im saying, be careful because some juniors or cadets or explorers are too self obsessed and believe they shouldnt be doing it and all. Frankly my opinion is that they shouldnt be in the group if they cant work as a team and gets opinions and things and help out. I love that juniors get involved and apoligize for how i misspoke my words. Now let me answer the same questions:

Answer: All the time. I am always cleaning trucks, sweeping up, cleaning our kitchen, and checking to make sure our truck is in working order.

Answer: Not every single shift or time im at the station but quite often.

Answer: I am always wanting to keep busy because im not the kind of guy to sit back when I enjoy doing something and want to be involved with all aspects which include cleaning up and washing trucks and all that stuff we all do.

Answer: Yes, I have washed down the truck and ambulance and been assigned thigns when I show up.

Answer: Truck Check, Kitchen Cleanup, Washing Truck, Sweep Up

Answer: No. I want to do everything and anything I possibly am allowed to do as a cadet before I can get in so im 100% ahead of the game and because I love doing it.

Answer: Not at the slightest bit, I enjoy it.

Answer: You get some grief and a little reminder of your assigned task by someone.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

On the topic of station duties...we had a problem with this a few years ago. The cadets would have to wash truck, roll hose, and clean up. All station duty right, no problems right. Wrong, the full timers would stand around and not do anything, "using" the cadets to do all of the "undesired" tasks.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have Juniors but when we have rookies at the station, they are expected to help w/o being asked.

We had one individual that would come into my station while we were doing station duties, went to the kitchen and sat down and called his girlfriend on his cellphone. Well as OIC I gave him a few minutes and he is still setting their, so I wait till he is off the phone and advise him to pick up his gear and leave. He was told if he had a problem to talk to the Training Bureau Capt. or the Chief and both would know the details of the incident.

All our Volunteers are told from day 1, if you come on station for an extended period of time and the crew is working you are expected to help. The fulltimers are not the Dept maids.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I'm from a volunteer company with no duty shifts. Everyone, from the oldest Life member down to the newest Explorer, is expected to carry their weight with building maintenance. You stop in, see a mess, you clean it up. You see something that needs to be fixed, you fix it (if you can) and notify the building committee members. We try to instill into every member that it's OUR firehouse and WE need to take care of it. It was bought by money we raised through Bingo over many years. The town owns our trucks, but we own the building.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our culture tells us that everyone pitches in; from the chief to the junior.
    There are no exceptions. No one is above making a mess, so no one is above cleaning one up!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Station duties for a "junior member?"
    WASH MY CAR.

MembersZone Subscriber

i admit, at my station we expect our rookies and junior members to do a little bit more than the members taht have been around longer. but that doesn't mean that the older members sit around and do nothing. everyone helps out, and if you are discovered to be disappearing every time someone says "housework" you will find yourself washing trucks all by yourself to make up.
    IACOJ
    "May the gods be between you and the darkness in all the empty places in which you must walk." Ancient Blessing

Originally posted by cellblock
    Station duties for a "junior member?"
    WASH MY CAR.
    Nah, we can't. Don't wanna damage all of your lights and accessories.

If you told that to me, I'd tell you go do it yourself and leave. Put the donut down and do it yourself, OFF DUTY.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends when we are doing ride-alongs. If it's a week night ride, usually there isn't much to clean or do, sometimes the rig, even then, I offer to help other companies in the house that I'm not actually "riding" with to help clean up (Battalion chiefs are some people whose good side you want to be on ). On Saturday mornings there is usually plenty for us to do which I don't mind at all. They are allowing me to hang out in there firehouse for several hours and go on calls with them, I am more than happy to help out with whatever needs done. I've heard a few complaints from an advisor that we have had explorers show at a station and pretty much just sit down and watch tv, that's a way to start losing places to ride. Even if most things appear done, I would recommend at least asking if there is anything else you can help out with, the last thing we need is to get a reputation as "lazy", for those of us planning to take the test when we are old enough, I think we know to try to present ourselves in the most professional and "there to learn" kind of way.

well every saturday morning at 7:30AM ill drive up to the station open up all the doors get the brooms and mops out and start cleaning the station by myself ill pull the trucks out let them run for a little while and clean them one of my Pet Peeves is a Dirty Fire Truck then ill go through the engine and check everything being the GearHead i Am then ill go into the office and make sure the Log Book for our fire Calls is up to date then i put everything back and batton down the hatches and thats when the other guys show up

Hows that for station Duties LOL
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Default Re: Station duties for a "junior member?"

-Yep, whatever we do or they do is something for all of us to do. Regardless of whatís going on it is everyoneís duties.
    -Yep, every time we are doing things of that nature.
    -Yeah, I said that we get asked sometimes, but thatís not as often as I volunteer to help out, I am a member of my FD, why should I not help out to keep things working and clean?
    No, stations duties are everyoneís duties.
    -We donít have assigned duties, but the duties we do are everything imaginable, along with the ones mentioned here.
    -Never, I joined my FD to be a FF, being a FF includes doing the said duties.
    -Not at all, like I said, itís a part of what I signed up to do.
    - Depends on why it was not completed, some instances it is understandable, and other instances of outright neglect it warrants a little talk with whoever is in charge.
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 07-18-2004 at 09:53 AM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Thread Information