Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: words of advice

Default words of advice

i am going through the process of trying to hired with the Tulsa Fire Dept. i have made it through all stages and had the big interview today. i have a bad feeling that i have lost the job that i have dreamed about for the last 2 years. why you ask? pretty simple really.

my checkered criminal history
    my lack of a formal education

i knew from the get go that these things would be major hurdles, but when faced with the interview panel it was glaring!!! i am 34 years old and the last run in i had with the law was 8 years ago. but it was a major offense( assult ). i have no education past high school, but did get my Emt cert through community college, but since let it expire.

all these things spell doom for me i think, no i know. so my advice?
    keep your nose clean.....REAL CLEAN. go to school. doesn't have to be fire related, just go to school and get good grades. don't be me and get caught looking in. YOUR PAST WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU. and when it does it will be the most important day of your life. trust me i know. it was today.

good luck all you hopefuls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry you feel that your interview went THAT bad. Im just starting on my road to becoming a firefighter at age 25. I too have concerns that my past may haunt me even though it has been a while since Ive been in any trouble. I got a DUI at 21 but it never went on my record and an illegal consumption at 20 as well as a few small violations (public urination, challnge to fight, also at 21)by the time Im out of school Ill be 27 and have a fire science degree as well as EMT B and firefighter 2 certification. I really hope that by that time my indiscretions as a younger person can be looked past by those that do the hiring. the advice that I can give you is keep your head up. lots of people think there interviews are disasters when they really arent as bad as you think. keep hoping and maybe your dream will still come true

thanks for the kind words. i'm trying my best to keep the chin up, but it's hard. i would say the interview might not be that bad, but one of the chiefs yawned while i was talking and didn't seemed intrested in anything i had to say. one of the other interviewers kept asking him if he had any questions and he kept saying no. so you tell me what would you think. i can't say i blame them. i gave them no real reason to hire me. from everything in my past it looks like i lacked focus or motivation. and i can't say otherwise cause i didn't. but being 34 now and looking back it blows my mind how much of my life i wasted. and of course now that i have found some direction and passion for something it seems that the past will drag me down once again.

some times life takes you on a journey and if your lucky you find out what it all means quick. me it took awhile. i'm on a short rope here cause i'm 34 i'm a single dad who has to think of my boys future. i wish i could go back to school and get all the certs and hire a lawyer to clear up my record, but i work full time nights and take care of him during the day everyday. excuses some would say, but it's reality for me.

don't want to sound like i'm whining, just want all you younger guys to take the advice and learn from my mistakes. don't **** your life away. i did and now i regret it so much. good luck to everyone trying to get the job and congrats to everyone on the job. hope in the long run someone reads this and learns.

Forum Member

Default Land Mines

jaydubya wrote:

I too have concerns that my past may haunt me even though it has been a while since Ive been in any trouble. I got a DUI at 21 but it never went on my record and an illegal consumption at 20 as well as a few small violations (public urination, challnge to fight, also at 21)by the time Im out of school Ill be 27 and have a fire science degree as well as EMT B and firefighter 2 certification. I really hope that by that time my indiscretions as a younger person can be looked past by those that do the hiring.
    Just a note. I would be really concerned here by thinking packing on all the education and thinking time will erase the pattern you have shown here. You might be surprised when that DUI pops up and you thought it never made it on your record. How are you going to convince those doing the hiring that they should select you over the 100 other candidates with a more perfect record? If the agency is doing a psych it could quickly take the wheels off your wagon.

I see too many candidates that believed what you are saying here and remain badgeless.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information