HOUSTON (AP) - Houston Fire Chief Phil Boriskie says eight
firefighters whose job applications have been questioned for
possibly withholding damaging personal information remain on the
job.
Boriskie told the Houston Chronicle for a story in Friday's
editions that information from Assistant Fire Chief Herbert Sims
that the firefighters had been fired was incorrect.
Boriskie said the eight were on active duty, but their futures
with the department are subject to further review.
Boriskie said one firefighter was terminated two months ago
because of the investigation by the city's Inspector General's
Office.
Fire Department officials said nine other employees whose files
had been questioned were cleared of any wrongdoing.
A nine-month investigation is under way of the fire department's
hiring and recruiting practices.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

APTV 07-16-04 0057EDT