Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 51 123411 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Fire Station Construction Progress

Since it appears that Jack and I will have dual-racing construction projects going, I thought it might be fun to start a thread journaling their progress.

Whaddya say, Jack?

I'll kick it off with these two pics. Not very exciting yet, but I hope that'll change in about four weeks. We hope to go out for bids next week.

This site looks a lot better with all the horse weeds mowed down!

(Editted to try to put up a better pic. The old one was crappy. But once you delete a picture, you can't post a new one. WHAT THE.....?)
    Last edited by jaybird210; 10-27-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Looking due west. I dunno how long it'll be before the cornfield around us gets developed, but part of me wants it to take quite a little while!!

(editted for the same reason as the previous post.)
    Last edited by jaybird210; 10-27-2004 at 02:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Where will the putting green be located?
    Or in Jack's case; the horseshoe pits?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

OK, here's my site. We open bids Wednesday, construction should start 30-45 days after that. This was taken from the street in front of my house, looking northeast.
    And, CR, if I have anything to say about it'll be washer pits and not horseshoes. Horseshoes are too heavy.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

I think it's hilarious that Jack's not even going to have to make the 1-block drive to the fire station anymore, it's going to be RIGHT ACROSS THE ROAD!!! You might as well live there!!
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

MembersZone Subscriber

Laura, your mother said last night: "Just because the fire station will be across the street doesn't mean you can be there all the time".
    I'd better start getting in shape if I'll have to RUN to the station for a call. Be kinda silly to drive.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Originally posted by jboczek
    Be kinda silly to drive.
    uhh....yeah....it would be...because if you figure the distance from your recliner (where you usually are) in the living room all the way through the house to the back door to where your truck is parked, it's a little longer than the distance from the recliner out the front door and across the street....
    as for getting in shape, i'm sure you can build an exercise bike attachment to said recliner, eh??? then you can work out without missing a single episode of monster garage! i love ya daddy

MembersZone Subscriber

As the pres, I say let's keep this site for actual construction related talk and keep the health and fitness stuff for somewhere else.
    I just thought of something, we can't have a beer at the station, but my carport isn't off limits.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Originally posted by jboczek
    I just thought of something, we can't have a beer at the station, but my carport isn't off limits.
    Oh Lord...I can see it now...Just when mom thinks she got rid of the hot tub parties when the kids moved out...dad starts having them...

Ok boys, on a serious note, because I'm getting grief on another thread...in these brandy new stations (will expect invites for the grand openings) - alarm systems? sprinklers? Come on, show us that people do the right things.

Good Luck with your projects!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Although it's not in Illinois, we MAY be getting a new station soon, also. Supposed to be going out for bids at the end of the month. We're not real confident it will come in within budget, but the architect and Chief think so. We shall see...........

And for Bones, I believe ours will be alarmed and will ring directly into dispatch instead of using a 3rd party company for monitoring. I tried to get the Chief to go for sprinklers, too, but they say it is cost prohibitive........

Default Plans 'n' specs

Well, since Bonsey asked.....

Our site is roughly 3.5 acres. The building will be 180' x 80', with the apparatus floor to be 80' x 104' with five bays (one drive-thru). There will be five offices. The training room will be 46.5' x 25.5'. We are including a day room and a room for future bunks. Best of all: full sprinklers. The builder even tried to talk us out of 'em (not required under code because of the size and a rated fire wall). Trustees stuck to sprinklers, even after the fire flows showed that we might have needed a fire pump.

Unfortunately for me, there's no houses across the street. I'll be driving either way!

Well, since the topic is started, I'll throw in our plans as well.
    Loraine FPD is working on a new building as well. 110' X 50' with 5 truck bays and a large training/meeting room. Lot size is 150' X 110' so still debating on expansion for width, not length (as if we can get another apparatus to make 5 trucks, let alone more.) However, are still working on funds and the pledge drive is in neutral. But, tomorrow will be Phase 1 as we remove the old bank trailer and start grading ground. And yes, everyone has said, "is there any money still in the bank?" I wish!!
    If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll puit some on in the future.
    BAClair

Everyone is builing new stations! We are in the process of adding on to our station. We are going to be adding 5 bays, two large class rooms/meeting rooms that can also be made into one super large one, new kitchen, 3 offices, living quarters, locker rooms, restrooms and I am sure I am missing something. The 5 bays is along with our current 6! Plus a two stall garage we have out back. we bought the property next door, removed the house and are waiting for the final plans. Hoping to start by sept 1st. Attached is a pic of the property now. more pics are on our website. www.eriefpd.com

If anyone is ever in the area or want to visit our station feel free to contact me, I live a stones throw away from the station. Lil Yogi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

we too are off to bid (again) due to the increase in steel prices. Hopefully construction will begin in the fall for our "south district" station. It was all set and ready to go until the spike in steel caused council to reject all bids.................will have to post a pic of our field too.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Just curious, what are your houses going to be built out of? I have quoted everything from General Steel to Concrete Forms (styrofoam blocks filled with concrete). We are leaning towards a stick-built, but a little more substancial than the name suggests. But, without any grants yet, unfortunately its going to be on the cheaper side.

BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours is probably going to be post frame (pole barn) unless a steel frame option ends up less expensive. We're doing 40 X 56, 3 bays, small office & rest room (why do they call it a "rest" room?). It's a sub station so that should prove to be a good place to park our trucks.
    Alarms? Sprinklers? Maybe the alarm, but no sprinklers. They're not required so they won't be put in. The alarm is in the works, as long as I do the install. That's the only way it'll get done.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Ours will be steel. I'd rather do brick and block, but who's got the money for that?

Jack, you gotta squeeze sprinklers in there somewhere's. Especially if it's gonna be a pole building. Size, my butt, you'd want to see a factory put sprinklers in! And I thought that squeaking I heard when you walked by was your shoes!!

MembersZone Subscriber

That squeaking is Hot Rod trying to talk because somebody has him by the you know what. If money wasn't such an issue in this project, sprinklers would be a possibility. Money is a problem, especially without the state funding that we were promised 2 years ago that isn't going to happen. Sorry, Bones, no sprinklers in this station. But we will invite you to the grand opening. Plan on coming. Hey, maybe it can be a flatlander convention, or two or three. Maybe when we get our stations done, we'll all meet at them as they're dedicated.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Ours is going to most likely be a steel building. They were supposed to try to compare prices to block when it gets closer to going out for bid to see. Ours is going to be 120x60 with 4 bays, 3 of which are drive-through. Office area will be 2 stories with the second story being unfinished and we will most likely finish that ourselves.

One thing I learned from a local chief who just had a station built was to secure prices on things you want before it goes to bid. He did it and got a block building that was cheaper than steel. Talk to local vendors and see what price they can give you on the block. Once you get your cheapest price, specify in the bids that you have a price of $x per block and the block must be in equal or greater quality and an equal or lesser price. I believe he did that for the block and also for their bay floors........

Thread Information