I had something else that I wanted to post, but a more stable and cooler head prevailed, {thank you M'Lady } so here is my substitute:

Mother duck halts construction at B.C. plant

Canadian Press Friday, July 16, 2004

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. (CP) -- Amidst the thunderous noise and clouds of dust kicked up by 30 pieces of heavy equipment busily moving earth at the Slocan-LP oriented strandboard plant, one mother-to-be stoutly refused to give up her perch.

So when workers discovered the mother duck proudly sitting on her eggs directly in the path of their planned parking lot, they did what any construction crew in the process of building the largest OSB plant in North America would do.

They stopped work on the $200-million project, staked out the area around her nest with brightly coloured tape and proceeded to do work elsewhere on the site in this northeastern B.C. city.

"We've had guys bringing her water, we even brought in a blow-up pool, but that didn't take," said Bryan Kordyban, the site's civil works construction manager.

Kordyban had wildlife officers come to the site to try and catch her so she could be relocated.

"But she was so close to hatching that we figured we'd just let her be and wait it out," he said. "Sometimes if you interfere too much they just abandon the whole thing."

So the duck and her eggs stayed put -- that is, until several local media members went to see the fledgling family. All that was left was a dark, cozy nest tucked inside some tall grasses, filled with the broken shell remains of about five or six ducklings.

A cadre of local crew members, managers -- including an LP representative visiting from Oregon -- searched for the duck and her new brood. Two surveyors were sent out on quads to inspect the far reaches of the site, but turned up nothing.

While catching and moving a duck has and can be done, leaving ducks to nest is usually the best option, especially if the hen is nearing the end of her 28-day nesting period, said Brad Arner, manager of conservation with Ducks Unlimited in Kamloops, B.C.

"The longer she sits on the nest, the more attached she is to it," he said.

Kordyban said the workers had grown fond of their feathered friend and would check up on her often, making the suddenly empty nest a bit of a blow.

"I was thinking of taking her under my wing," he said.
© Alaska Highway News 2004