Forum Member

Default Favorite Concert

Yesterday at work, my partner and I got on the subject of concerts. I told him I was going to see RUSH in a few weeks and am quite pumped. I
    Ive seen them before (mid 1980's) and they were fantstic!

So I'm curious, what's the best concert you've been to? Hard to say for me. Havent been to one I didnt like. Billy Joel was great, as was Alabama. RUSH was the loudest by far.

Anyone...

Dave

Forum Member

A tie between Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, The Righteous Brothers and Beach Boys appearing together. Yeah, I'm showing my age.

MembersZone Subscriber

Def Leppard was my first concert.
    Rod Stewart was good.
    KISS was excellent. If they ever came even close to my neck of the woods I'd be at that concert for sure.
    Had tickets for Alan Jackson but he cancelled and never came back.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd have to say the best ones I have been to were U2 in Columbus in '97 and the Beastie Boys in Detroit in '99 (although with all the kids running around at that one I felt really old at age 31 )
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

omgggggggg I'm so jealous!!! I would LOVE to see U2!!!!

Best ever .... *sigh* Bowie at the Saddledome*sigh*

Tragically Hip was AWESOME!!!

Free concert with Rymes with Orange, Moist and Junkhouse at the Saddledome was great!!!!

54-40 at the Coca-cola stage at the Calgary Stampede was great!!!!

Blue Rodeo on the ground of Fort Calgary last summer during Stampede was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

ummmm hmmm there seems to be a trend here LOL

I'd die to see the Stones. If one could go back in time I'd want to see the Doors *drool*
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool The Band That's Hard To Find................

Absolutely, Positively, Genuinely, The Seldom Scene. Easily one of the all time best bands in Bluegrass. Ranking right up there with Bill Monroe and Doc Watson, The Scene has seen it all.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Pink Floyd, the "Dark Side of the Moon" tour, at the Wang Center (in it's previous incarnation as the Music Hall).

Second was Emerson, Lake and Palmer, the "Tarkus" tour at the same venue.

Loudest concert: Deep Purple, the Machine Head tour, Concerts on the Common, Boston Common.

PS: I am also a big fan of Rush
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-18-2004 at 12:14 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a bit of an interest in Little Feat intil I saw them live. I've been a devoted fan ever since. No lasers, pyrotechnics, or other BS, just damn good music. I just wish my schedule would work out with their tour schedule more often . . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

KISS was excellent. If they ever came even close to my neck of the woods I'd be at that concert for sure.
    The following are the rantings of an old man:

Ah yes KISS, saw them in concert with Blue Oyster Cult at the Nassau Coliseum, New Years Eve 1975

Gonzo, Nice picks, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and ELP. But you forgot Yes, Jefferson "Airplane" (not Starship), Aerosmith, Led Zep., Black Sabbath, Mountain, Marshall Tucker and my personal favorite, seen 30+ times, The Allman Brothers.

We had a place near me called "My Father's Place". It was a small concert hall which held about 300-400 people. I practically lived there from 1975 through 1985. You want to talk about bleeding ears? Try sitting stage side for Grinderswitch, The Dixie Dregs or Tower of Power. A few unknowns played there like George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers, Henry Paul Band, Atlanta Rythmn Section, The Outlaws and one band that stood out The Moonlighters (Commander Cody's old "Lost Planet Airmen")

But, by far, the greatest concert I ever saw was there, sitting at a table stageside for the Greg Allman Tour. With the house lights down the Band took the stage, up came the lights and "Hot Lanta" blasted from the speakers. I looked over the stage and saw Greg Allman, Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks, Jaimoe Johnson, Dan Tohller...
    THE WHOLE DAMN ALLMANS BAND
    They played Allman Brothers classics for about 3 1/2 hours to our semi private audience. Yup, that was the best.

Rant Off

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Hmm..Interesting thread. Where do I start?

My first concert....Van Halen! With David Lee Roth, no less...the "1984" tour. (also seen them twice with Sammy....Excellent show, but just not the same....)

Most high-energy show.....AC/DC, with that absolutely manic Angus Young. KISS also ranks right up there for raw energy and intensity. Saw them on their first reunion tour, late 90's sometime I think.

Metallica at the Cajundome in Lafayette was freakin' unreal.

Technical merit award.... A tie between ZZ Top and Rush. Seen Rush 3 times, ZZ Top once, and they are among the best shows I've seen as far as sound quality and technical brilliance. (the laser lights at ZZ Top were especially cool.)

What else?

The Beach Boys on the football field at Nicholls State University. Mellow, summertime party kind of show. Neat.

Chicago, another outdoor Nicholls show. Excellent show, helped a friend work the beer booth, great time.

Cheap Trick opening for Tom Waite. How degrading. Cheap Trick rocked, then we left to go drinking before Tom Waite came on.

Another opening act-trumps-the-headliner story....Bon Jovi opening for RATT. (this is just before Bon Jovi broke into the mainstream) They blew RATT off the stage.

Some other great opening acts come to mind....Bachman Turner Overdrive opened for Van Halen. Primus opening for Rush. I had never heard of Primus before but I loved 'em!

The rest:

Robert Plant (just so-so)
    George Strait (simple cowboy cool, my wife dragged me to it but I enjoyed it)
    Boston

Probably a few more there...can't remember 'em all. Brings back memories though.....

Forum Member

Going to see live music is one of my true passions. I have seen most of the "big guys" and if you look at my avatar, you can tell who I went to see over 60 times. There have been some truly memorable concerts and a few dogs (not many) along the way. Since the good Lt. from Engine 229 mentioned the ABB,I would be remiss not to list their May 11th 1996 show during their run at Chicago's Riviera Theatre as one of THE best shows I have ever seen. It was truly an amazing show. Big band+ Big sound+ Small venue=REMARKABLE show.Warren Haynes and the late Allen Woody were still in the band along with Dicky Betts who has since been dumped. On another note, if you ever get a chance, check out Los Lobos, they are truly one of THE premier American bands.
    Sometimes it seems I am working to support my concert habit but you only live once!
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 07-18-2004 at 09:37 AM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Great Post

Rush is my favorite band of all time. I'm from the generation of the "big hall" concerts. I've seen them seven times and they by far are the best "live" band I've seen. Somehow, they sound the same in concert as they do on their records. Most other big bands lose something when live. How big of a Rush fan am I you ask??? My oldest daughter Alex, is named after Alex Lifeson. As a guitarist during my "young years" I vowed to name my first born child after him as he was such an inspiration to my growth as a musician. Yeah, I'm messed up like that
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Almost forgot...

First Concert... KISS in 1977. Saw it with my Mom(she was terribly cool) and we walked out of there in a daze. Don't know if it was from watching a fire breathing blood spitter, volume, or all the secondhand dope smoke we inhaled I was 11 years old and changed forever - I soon bought my first(of many) electric guitars.
    Last edited by Medic162; 07-18-2004 at 09:54 AM.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

I saw a lot of the concerts when I worked for a special events emergency service (couldn't call ourselves an ambulance service, as we were not allowed to transport patients). I managed to catch some of the Stones' concert at the Air Canada Centre, but missed a lot of it 'cuz we were attending too many chest pain and difficulty breathing calls!

Metallica at Maple Leaf Gardens. Not my cup of tea, and again spent most of my time treating OD's, head injuries (2 poor Japanese tourists whacked in the head by arena chairs RIPPED from their moorings and pitched into the crowd!), and many, many drunks fall down, go boom.

Garth Brooks opening for Reba McIntyre. Clint Black and Wynonna. Sting, Elton John (twice). Andrea Bocelli (loved it!), Neil Diamond, Prince, Melissa Etheridge, Meat Loaf and Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.

As for concerts where I actually paid admission?

David Bowie at the Canadian National Exhibition grandstand, in his 'Serious Moonlight' tour, 1981? '82? '83?
    Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry (separate concerts)
    Defunkt (now defunct)..abso-damn-lutely amazing funk!
    The Mighty Arrow (soca/calypso)

The best by far was Bowie...now, if I could only afford to go to concerts more often, the price of tickets these days is outrageous. One week's groceries, or a concert ticket? What to do, what to do?

Cheers,

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up More Country!!

Finally, Diva mentioned a bunch of country acts after the single, lonely notable Alabama concert! I agree that Reba McEntire, Alabama, the Judds (together, then Wynonna solo), & Clint Black were all fantastic concerts when I saw them. Toby Keith a few years ago could NOT have gotten better, and he had Rascal Flatts open for him (they did their own "concert" before Toby!). Next week a few of us see Toby Keith again with Gretchen Wilson, Montgomery Gentry, Scotty Emerick, & JoDee Messina.

I was very pleased to see Elton John 3-4 years ago, long after his wild outfits were the thing for him! I would have loved seeing John Denver, but these things happen.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

David Bowie, because it was the first one I had ever been to, Saddledome, Calgary 1991 (I think....? LOL)

Then I saw Poison also in the Saddledome, but that was only an "OK" show.

After that not much till I moved to Toronto in '94. In 10 days I saw Rolling Stones and WWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!! What an truly awesome show. Aerosmith followed up about a week later, but there was no comparison between them. They were good, but not like the Stones.

I also had the opportunity to see 54-40 in what was then called the RPM. They were also a really great show.

Still the Rolling Stones in the Sky Dome was the best so far.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default Neat-o!

My first concert at age 9:
    Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbitt and a new band fresh off Star Search, Sawyer Brown

My Favorite: Kenny Chesney hands down!(Closely followed by Tim McGraw in Durham NH, and Bryan Adams at the Great Woods Performing Arts Center)

Loudest: Huh? Iron Maiden July 14, 1987 in the Worcester Centrum, but who was being specific?

Other great shows: Bon Jovi with Cinderella for the Slippery when Wet Tour and Alan Jackson/Joe Nichols (worked EMS at Meadowbrook for this one)

Shows I want to catch: Metallica, Kenny Chesney again, Shania Twain, Toby Keith

Shows I wished I caughtback then: Motley Crue (the OLD Crue), Van Halen, Judas Priest
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

former FH.com member

Thumbs up ....always a good time.

Jimmy Buffet.

Forum Member

I saw RUSH a few years ago here in kansas city, My most favorite has to be STYX and KANSAS in St Jo. Mo. I would of like to have seen pink floyd at ARROWHEAD(nosiest stadium in the nfl and dam proud of it)
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

SAFD, I know a few unhappy people with Buffett because of his latest album, doing so much country. Thoughts?

Oh, I saw Kenny Rogers at either Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun -- good show. I saw Bon Jovi while working for the Red Cross. Loud, for sure!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

U2....saw them and met them on their first tour in 1980 in a small club here in WNY before many people had heard of them. Saw them 2 more times before they became mega-stars. Great show, great band. Thin Lizzy also put on a great show.

Springsteen puts on a super show....what a marathon.

First concert was Grand Funk Railroad in '74....would've loved to see them around 1970 when they were just getting big.

ZZ Top and Skynyrd on Halloween night in '76...what a show! J. Geils also put on a great show...Whammer Jammer baby! Saw the Stones..Keith must've needed a blood change, he could barely stand up..they were horrible!

Kim Mitchell, BTO, Guess Who, Quiet Riot, Outlaws, all appeared at our Fire Hall over the years. We were kinda famous (infamous?) for a while for our concerts. Got too expensive and too crazy...them days are over! We're getting to be old farts now!

former FH.com member

Originally posted by kghemtp
    SAFD, I know a few unhappy people with Buffett because of his latest album, doing so much country. Thoughts
    To be honest Kg I haven't heard his new album. I loved his concerts at Great Woods (when it was called that), just a cold brew and some mellow tunes...not to mention some fun people watching!

Forum Member

The greatest concert I ever went to was The Who in 1972, I believe that was the final tour or the original band prior to Keith Moons passing. A close second goes to any of several Nitty Gritty Dirt Band shows.

Forum Member

The Springsteen concert in may 99 when he got back together with the E-street band and the concerts in Rotterdam and Brussels last year during the Rising tour.
    Like he says, he has that guitar and he learned to make it talk!!!!
    *The BOSS rules*

Thumbs up

I've been to several, but AC/DC had to be the best all around show. The music, lights, props and crowd we great! I just saw Van Halen in Chicago 3 days ago and that was a great show!

Thread Information