Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Littleton, Colorado, Untied States of America

Default Fire Plates: Abuse of power by non-Firefighters?

Hello all. I'm new here and I'm Jason, a recently certified Firefighter One by the State of Colorado. I have a history of Firefighting in my family, from my Father to my cousin.

I have a question. When I got my Fire Plates by the State of Colorado, they were my Dad's plates, him being a Honorary Retired Firefighter from PA. I wasn't done with the Fire Academy yet, I was on week ten or so, and going through some rough times, with the Live Burn coming up, Fire Academy Final, Haz-Mat Awar. Final, State Written Final, and State Practicals, all coming up within a span of five weeks. I had admitted to my Father, before and after we got the plates, that I wasn't sure if I was going to be a Firefighter, with all of my tough times lately, recently having some bumps in the road in the Fire Academy. My Father, a Junior Firefighter since 16, a former Marine, and now a school teacher, looked at me and told me to not worry that I was going to do just fine.

I didn't know how right he was. Out of 35 students, I was the 35th student to sign up, I finished 4th in my class, beating my Squad Leader, who got the 5th best grade, and, to my surpise, even beating a former Army Ranger. For me, a former IEP student and to where everyone, including my football buddies and even by Best-friend, said that I couldn't do it, I did it. I beat the odds; the military said I couldn't join the military, so I decided to prove them wrong by passing something everyone, even a few fellow Firefighters I know, didn't think I could do. It took deterimation, effort, and most of all the heart for the Fire Service.

As I drive around in my 1988 van, that smokes from the tailpipe, I am proud of what I have done. I proved that I wanted to be a Firefighter since a kid, Senior Year in High School doing a internship with a Fire Department for 5 and half months (to make sure Firefighting is what I wanted to do the rest of my life), and now through a Fire Academy. My instructors, some of whom have put in over twenty years in the Fire Service and now instruct as instructors, said that they have never seen anyone, me, put out more effort. I was always in their offices, seeing what I could do to improve on, how to better myself on tests. I reduced my work hours to one day a week, studying five hours a day on a light day of homework, six to seven days a week, just for the Fire Academy.

I proved myself, not just through a Fire Academy, but through what I had to overcome to just get to the Fire Academy and pass it with flying colors.

However, I see non-Firefighters, wives, family members (including kids), and probably a girlfriend here and there, driving around with Fire Plates, WHEN THEIR NOT FIREFIGHTERS!

It makes me mad. Here I am, a Firefighter by the State of Colorado: not a Junior Firefighter or a Cadet, but a FIREFIGHTER ONE, and I see civilians (non-Firefighters) driving around with Fire Plates.

This probelem is two fold. First, from my view, it disrespects Firefighters, male and female, who have proven themselves. And second, non-Firefighters, with Fire Plates, have got pulled over and asked to assist on fires and when they reply, "Oh, I'm not a Firefighter," well, I wish I was there to just throw them in jail. When a vehicle gets pulled over with Fire Plates, and the Police Officer or Fire Officer assumes your a Firefighter and they need Fire support ASAP, and your not a Firefighter...it not only coasts time, but it could of just coast a life.

And yes, Firefighters, with Fire Plates and just walking around the city, have been asked to help on fires, even former Firefighters, whom the current Firefighters know and trust, have been given bunker gear and told to help out on a fire. This is what I have heard from other Firefighters and they say, one day, I'll be driving around and asked to help on a Fire.

My van is like a library for Firefighters. I not only have practice rope in my van for practicing ropes and knots, I have my IFSTA Firefighter One/Two book and IFSTA Study Guide, as well as my Wildland Firefighter book (certified in Wildland, just have to Pact Test), my AED/CPR handbook, as well as all of my JPR for Firefighter One that the State of Colorado requires all Colorado Firefighters to know. My Fire Plates are not just there to make my beat-up, smoking van look good; they're there for a reason and I earned them.

What are your views on non-Firefighters (family included) driving around with Fire Plates?

Default Re: Fire Plates: Abuse of power by non-Firefighters?

Originally posted by TheHealingOne
    And yes, Firefighters, with Fire Plates and just walking around the city, have been asked to help on fires, even former Firefighters, whom the current Firefighters know and trust, have been given bunker gear and told to help out on a fire. This is what I have heard from other Firefighters and they say, one day, I'll be driving around and asked to help on a Fire.
    That must be a Colorado thing. Sure, I've been on a few calls where an extra set of hands would be helpful... but I don't have time looking at license plates to find the right guy for the job. Besides, I'm sort of leary of accepting assistance from lay people unless it's really needed. You never know what sort of whack job will walk up and claim to be a firefighter, medic or doctor.

As far as the plates go... To have a state-issue firefighter tag in Arkansas, the firefighter's name has to be on the registration. I have no problem with that. Sure, it might mean that my wife or my kid (I have neither now) will one day drive around with a fire plate... but since the law requires my name on the registration, it also means that I would be paying for the ride. My money, my firefighter tags.

I don't understand why FF plates would be considered official identification so far as asking someone to help at a scene. What about retired FFs who may not be physically capable of working a scene anymore? What about protective gear? (I for one don't carry full turnouts and a BA in my truck.)

The only time I'd ever stop at an emergency scene (other than in my town, of course) is if FD and PD aren't on-scene yet. If either is, I'm not going to get in the way.

California FF plates are available to any active or retired FF, which includes any vehicles owned by that individual. Yes, I could get plates for my wife's car...only reason I haven't is that she doesn't want them. But she does have a California State Firefighters Association sticker on the window.

My neighbor up the street (retired from my department) as FF plates on all of his cars, and I have no problem seeing his wife driving around in one. It's still his car too.

As you yourself said, you weren't even a FF yet when you first got your plates. You also said "However, I see non-Firefighters, wives, family members (including kids), and probably a girlfriend here and there, driving around with Fire Plates, WHEN THEIR NOT FIREFIGHTERS!" Why was it right for you to have plates before you became a FF if its not right for other family members to?
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

However, I see non-Firefighters, wives, family members (including kids), and probably a girlfriend here and there, driving around with Fire Plates, WHEN THEIR NOT FIREFIGHTERS.......

It makes me mad. Here I am, a Firefighter by the State of Colorado: not a Junior Firefighter or a Cadet, but a FIREFIGHTER ONE, and I see civilians (non-Firefighters) driving around with Fire Plates.......

This probelem is two fold. First, from my view, it disrespects Firefighters, male and female, who have proven themselves. And second, non-Firefighters, with Fire Plates, have got pulled over and asked to assist on fires and when they reply, "Oh, I'm not a Firefighter," well, I wish I was there to just throw them in jail. When a vehicle gets pulled over with Fire Plates, and the Police Officer or Fire Officer assumes your a Firefighter and they need Fire support ASAP, and your not a Firefighter...it not only coasts time, but it could of just coast a life..........
    So I guess you woud expect that no one in my family would be allowed to drive my car with the firefighter plates on it. That is pretty unrealistic. Plates, stickers, badges.....they don't mean crap whenit comes right down to it. I would never, have never, stopped a car because of a plate or a sticker and asked for help. Sometimes, even certified people, are no help if they don't know your system.

I don't mean this as a slam, as you have a lot to be proud of, but there is a lot more to being a Firefighter than a Certification and a License Plate. Keep working toward learning, start going to fires. Listen to the older guys, but never, ever stop trying to learn.

I have always viewed that plates as a way of identifying that the car is owned by a Firefighter, nothing more.

Dave

Posted by the Healing One

As I drive around in my 1988 van, that smokes from the tailpipe, I am proud of what I have done. I proved that I wanted to be a Firefighter since a kid, Senior Year in High School doing a internship with a Fire Department for 5 and half months (to make sure Firefighting is what I wanted to do the rest of my life), and now through a Fire Academy. My instructors, some of whom have put in over twenty years in the Fire Service and now instruct as instructors, said that they have never seen anyone, me, put out more effort. I was always in their offices, seeing what I could do to improve on, how to better myself on tests. I reduced my work hours to one day a week, studying five hours a day on a light day of homework, six to seven days a week, just for the Fire Academy.

I proved myself, not just through a Fire Academy, but through what I had to overcome to just get to the Fire Academy and pass it with flying colors.
    I am troubled by the tone of this.

I am afraid you have the reason for the job all wrong. A true jake does not command attention, saying "look at me, I'm a firefighter". A true firefighter does the job with little or no fanfare. There are those who seek the cameras, reporters and public eye.... while their brothers and sisters are inside overhauling and doing the grunt work.

As a probie, Satisfaction is doing an evolution without getting any demerits/gigs/deficiency points, not hounding the instructors constantly in an effort to improve. In the real world, one cannot hound the incident commander at a fire asking him to critique one's every move and seeking approval.

Not on my fireground, and for some very good reasons...

Unknown amount of training.
    Unknown medical conditions.
    Liability.

Safety Pro and Cosmosis ...
    Brothers, very well said.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I have always viewed that plates as a way of identifying that the car is owned by a Firefighter, nothing more.
    Yup! Owned, not driven. Most, if not all, States require a letterhead from your Department or Union plus identification, before these plates are issued. Further, they are not transferrable to another "owner".

As for police stops, a FF plate is more like a Bullseye around here lately.

MembersZone Subscriber bolivas203's Avatar

Hello all. I'm new here and I'm Jason, a recently certified Firefighter One by the State of Colorado. I have a history of Firefighting in my family, from my Father to my cousin.

I have a question. When I got my Fire Plates by the State of Colorado, they were my Dad's plates, him being a Honorary Retired Firefighter from PA. I wasn't done with the Fire Academy yet, I was on week ten or so, and going through some rough times, with the Live Burn coming up, Fire Academy Final, Haz-Mat Awar. Final, State Written Final, and State Practicals, all coming up within a span of five weeks. I had admitted to my Father, before and after we got the plates, that I wasn't sure if I was going to be a Firefighter, with all of my tough times lately, recently having some bumps in the road in the Fire Academy. My Father, a Junior Firefighter since 16, a former Marine, and now a school teacher, looked at me and told me to not worry that I was going to do just fine.

I didn't know how right he was. Out of 35 students, I was the 35th student to sign up, I finished 4th in my class, beating my Squad Leader, who got the 5th best grade, and, to my surpise, even beating a former Army Ranger. For me, a former IEP student and to where everyone, including my football buddies and even by Best-friend, said that I couldn't do it, I did it. I beat the odds; the military said I couldn't join the military, so I decided to prove them wrong by passing something everyone, even a few fellow Firefighters I know, didn't think I could do. It took deterimation, effort, and most of all the heart for the Fire Service.

However, I see non-Firefighters, wives, family members (including kids), and probably a girlfriend here and there, driving around with Fire Plates, WHEN THEIR NOT FIREFIGHTERS!

Is my wife not allowed to drive my/our vehicles anymore now that I have Firefighter plates?

It makes me mad. Here I am, a Firefighter by the State of Colorado: not a Junior Firefighter or a Cadet, but a FIREFIGHTER ONE, and I see civilians (non-Firefighters) driving around with Fire Plates.

You need to calm down grasshopper! They are only license plates. They do not give you any special powers...

This probelem is two fold. First, from my view, it disrespects Firefighters, male and female, who have proven themselves. Just how does it disrespect Firefighters? And second, non-Firefighters, with Fire Plates, have got pulled over and asked to assist on fires and when they reply, "Oh, I'm not a Firefighter," Not sure what kind of Fire Department would ever do that. (cough cough Redneck cough cough) well, I wish I was there to just throw them in jail. You should have went to police academy instead of fire academy. When a vehicle gets pulled over with Fire Plates, and the Police Officer or Fire Officer assumes your do you mean "you're"? a Firefighter and they need Fire support ASAP, and your not a Firefighter...it not only coasts The word you are looking for is COSTS not COASTS time, but it could of just coast [/B]Again, the word you are looking for is COST not COAST [/B]a life. You should pick up a dictionary from time to time.

And yes, Firefighters, with Fire Plates and just walking around the city, have been asked to help on fires, Yeah I like to take my Fire plates off of the car and walk around with them. You never know when I might need to assist in a fire even former Firefighters, whom the current Firefighters know and trust, have been given bunker gear and told to help out on a fire. They must do things very different in your 2 horse town. This is what I have heard from other Firefighters and they say, one day, I'll be driving around and asked to help on a Fire. Provided you never leave your previously mentioned 2 horse town.

My van is like a library for Firefighters. I not only have practice rope in my van for practicing ropes and knots, I have my IFSTA Firefighter One/Two book and IFSTA Study Guide, as well as my Wildland Firefighter book (certified in Wildland, just have to Pact Test), my AED/CPR handbook, as well as all of my JPR for Firefighter One that the State of Colorado requires all Colorado Firefighters to know. I bet that really impresses the chicks, along with the smoke from the tailpipe. They also provide more fuel to burn when your "beat-up, smoking van" catches on fire. Then you can look for someone with Firefighter plates to flag down to help you put out the fire. My Fire Plates are not just there to make my beat-up, smoking van look good; they're there for a reason and I earned them. Just passing the test does not earn you the right. The Fire plates are not bragging rights.

What are your views on non-Firefighters (family included) driving around with Fire Plates?
    Ok. All joking aside. You really need to do some growing up. You are not a firefighter just because you passed some tests. I have seen many people pass the tests and fail miserably on the fireground. Firefighters do not go around bragging about being Firefighters. We don't go around looking for recognition. Being a Firefighter is just who we are and what we do.

Just slow down, and continue to learn. The fire service evolves daily. I wish you luck in the future and be safe.
    Stay alert and be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Jason, I don't normally rant on these forums, but your post has got me riled up. I have a problem with several of your comments. To wit:

When I got my Fire Plates by the State of Colorado, they were my Dad's plates, him being a Honorary Retired Firefighter from PA. I wasn't done with the Fire Academy yet,
    My Fire Plates are not just there to make my beat-up, smoking van look good; they're there for a reason and I earned them.
    OK, Jason, which is it? Did you earn them? Or did your dad earn them? Sounds to me like you're just as guilty, riding around with plates that your DAD earned.

Senior Year in High School doing a internship with a Fire Department for 5 and half months
    You think that constitutes "earning" your stripes? Five and a half months as an intern? How many real fires have you fought, Jason? Like I heard it put once, "I've put in more time waiting on the end of a line for water than you've got in the fire service". You've still got a lot of learning (and earning) to do after the Fire Academy, pup.

I've met many firefighters who had plates and woo-woo lights of every description on their vehicles who I would not trust to back me up on a handline. I've also met firefighters who have no plates, no lights, no "I Fight What You Fear" T-shirts, nothing whatsoever to advertise their affiliation, who are some of the best damn firefighters I have ever seen. The plates, in the end, mean very little. Actions speak louder than words (or plates).

Yes, my wife often drives my truck. Should I make her stop? Someone might take her for a firefighter. Be realistic, Jason, I'm not going to forbid my wife to drive my truck. Neither will I take the plates off whenever she wants to use it. And neither will I install those plates on her van every time I need to use it.

As I drive around in my 1988 van, that smokes from the tailpipe, I am proud of what I have done.
    This is the one comment you've made that I agree with, Jason. You SHOULD be proud of what you have done, and rightfully so. There is a big difference, however, between PROUD and ARROGANT. You're leaning heavily toward the latter, in my opinion. Lay off the bragging about how high you graduated in your class and how much your instructors hailed you as the greatest gift to firefighting since the invention of water. That won't count for crap when you get your first worker. And it's a darn good way to alienate yourself from your brothers in the firehouse. And on these forums, for that matter.

This probelem is two fold. First, from my view, it disrespects Firefighters, male and female, who have proven themselves
    You haven't proven yourself yet, youngster. See my above comments.

Jason, I'd hate to see you get off on the wrong foot here. These Forums can be a very valuable learning resource. Welcome aboard, and I hope you come back often. But remember, there's folks on here that have been humping hose since before you were born. Drop the attitude and try to learn from them, and maybe someday you will have truly earned the respect you seem to believe you're entitled to. Remember the words of Thoreau...."the hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."

In Illinois there are no "Firefighter plates". There are Firefighter Memorial plates that helped build and continue to maintain the Firefighters Memorial in Springfield. Anyone who coughs up the extra dough to buy them can display them. I think in general, most police officers and firefighters get along pretty well in our state.(unlike a certain place back east). If you have the plates, you still very well get a ticket, maybe not. However, if you are driving like an ***, people can more easily remember your plate # if they want to start a stink. I have the plates. They are for a good cause.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    [B]Posted by the Healing One

I am troubled by the tone of this.

I am afraid you have the reason for the job all wrong. A true jake does not command attention, saying "look at me, I'm a firefighter". A true firefighter does the job with little or no fanfare. There are those who seek the cameras, reporters and public eye.... while their brothers and sisters are inside overhauling and doing the grunt work.
    [QUOTE]

Hehehe i'm never looking for the camera but, that lil bastard always seems to find me no matter what or where im at
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question I Don't Like The Tone, Either...................

In Maryland there are a Lot of Plates. IAFF has 8 versions, State Vol FFs have plates, State Fire Chief's Assn. has plates, Over 120 Volunteer Fire Departments have plates. There are more Plates out there than you can shake a Halligan at. We have Lots of vehicles that are driven by God knows who, but no one has their unmentionables in a bunch because of it. I really think that, overall, America's Fire service has more things to worry about that a nonissue over plates. At the same time, as an Instructor, Congratulations on doing well at the Academy, I hope your desire to do well spread to other students.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I teach Firefighter I classes for my state's Fire Service Training Bureau. I have been asked to teach several different topics for the state and for area departments. I also teach EMT classes. This does not mean I'm a good firefighter or EMT. It means I'm a good teacher, and I know the material.

You should be proud of how well you did in the academy, but you need to remember that it only means that you are a good student, and you understand the material.

What makes people good firefighters is experience, and so far, you don't have it. Someday you will. I have 6 years' experience in the fire service, and I still have a lot to learn. Don't get ahead of yourself. Take your certifications and license plates for what they're worth, and remember that they won't help you if you find yourself in a dangerous spot on at a fire scene. Your experience and your TEAMWORK with your department will.

My wife and I had FF plates on both of our vehicles, because we shared them both. Both names were on the registrations (which is required by Iowa law for FF plates). She likes having FF plates on the vehicles when she drives them. Not because she wants to pose as a firefighter, but because she is proud to be married to one, and she's proud of our department.

Don't get me wrong - I want to welcome you to the fire service, and encourage you to keep posting here. We're all about sharing information and helping each other out here. Just remember, 'Firefighters aren't extraordinary people, they're ordinary people who put themselves in extraordinary situations'.

Be proud, but be humble.

FossilMedic

HealingOne:

Congrats on completing Firefighter I.

You sound like many of the under 21 year olds I used to teach. Sorry, the tags do not mean much. It is a symbol, a perk and means more to us than the general public. I want to echo what firemedicgm said.

It is just like the IAFF stickers you see in the urban areas. Just because there is a sticker on the car, it does not mean that the driver (or occupants) are the dues paying member of a local chapter of the International Association of Fire Fighters.

Or the other affiliation plates/stickers that are placed on private vehicles.

Mike

For example: I can get a firefighter tag in Virginia with a handicapped icon
    Last edited by MikeWard; 07-18-2004 at 04:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Well we don't have fire plates over here, we have stickers and all sorts of other stuff for the car.

This reminds me of when I was an 18 year old Probie, I lived in the area I worked back then, it was busy and I used to drive around of a night in my car. I had a sticker on every window it seems looking back.

Fire Service personnel, London Fire Brigade, Support your Firemen...I had them all. I also kept a spare set of tunouts in the car... I came across a few fires from time to time (I got reminded of one at a retirement party just last week ) but they never did use me???

Now I am a 'Chief'(or UK equivalent). I drive my own nice new car paid for (For duty hours) by the FD with siren, radio and covert Blue lights. No one at the Mall or round the school would ever know. I don't even have an LFB Window sticker anymore. Like most of us, when the opportunity to have an 'official' personal Fire vehicle comes along it tends to be as understated as possible.

The difference...I am proved, I have done it for so long I know my strengths and weaknesses I have respect and I am reasonably well known. Back then just like this young man I was as proud as anything to be a Fireman. I grew up in the ghetto but I worked hard at school and got on the Fire Brigade.

He is rightly proud of his acheivement but cannot see the practicalities of the Plate situation. Many of us share cars in the family...we are in the Business of Firefighting not gold mining....We do not have a fleet of cars for every change of clothes.

He will mature, he will get married and have kids, they will grow up and borrow his car with the plates on and then...like many of us who joined young he will reflect and feel a little embarrassed. Not only that, His wife and kids would have had a lifetime of him leaving in the morning and coming home beat up. Many times they would have been to the Hospital to see him being patched up ready for a nights rest only to return to work the next day to do it all over...Now tell me they don't deserve it.

Fortunately Promotion as meant that my kids never saw me hurt, I still come home black and have to soak in the bath for an hour...but my Wife who was just a young Girl in her ealry 20's when we got married came to the hospital plenty of times in those early days. Even now, when I am called out from home of an evening to another fire where a kid was killed or a car crash with some teenagers killed. She has to deal with me coming back from that...

She doesn't have fire plates, she is not a Firefighter, but she has been around me for 16 of the 17 years I have been in the LFB, I think she earns the right to be identified right alongside me....furthermore, I bet she knows more now than I did at 18. Faced with a job I'd pick her out of the crowd before I picked myself as a probie...I know who I can trust.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

'Firefighters aren't extraordinary people, they're ordinary people who put themselves in extraordinary situations'
    -Great quote Firemedicgm.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

I've got three words to say to our fledgling brother.

Fac ut vivas.

Firefighter plates do not a firefighter make.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Fire Plates: Abuse of power by non-Firefighters?

Originally posted by cozmosis

That must be a Colorado thing.
    I am truly embarrassed that he is from my state. I want to assure all of you that this NOT a Colorado thing, it is a wacker thing. There are many highly professional fire departments in Colorado and I couldn't imagine one of them seeing someone with FF plates and asking for help. Ever. Although I understand what he's talking about, I don't necessarily agree. Yes, the majority of FF plates are being driven by wives, sons, daughters, and wackers, but please believe that there are some good guys who take this job seriously in Colorado. I couldn't possibly be more embarrassed. Well, at least I'll be in PG county in 4 weeks.

Eric

Littleton, Colorado, Untied States of America

I am sorry all for my statement last night; wasn't thinking clearly. Often my mouth gets in front of my brain. I am truely sorry.

I am young and I have been at one working fire, while on my internship (car fire). I am thankful for those who wish me luck. And yet again I am sorrY for my statements.

No, by no means, am I saying that your wives and family should just stop driving around with plates. It's just my view on things I guess. Trust me, before I earned those FF plates, I felt like I was dishonoring the Fire Service, driving around with FF plates when I'm not a FF.

To answer another user's question, from my point of view, I think it is dishonoring Firefighters to drive around with FF plates when your not a FF; that's not saying that you have to take the plates off, it's just saying that you shouldn't be driving around long-term with FF plates. Being a retired FF or a widow of a FF and driving around with plates in perfect fine, from my point of view. Yet again, just my point of view.

Yet again, I am truely sorry and, well, quite mad at myself. I think my ego, which at one time was so low, is so high now because I know how close I came to, well, being nothing in life.

And I use to brag about being a Firefighter, but I have learned over time, that it is best to shut-up about it. And I find that being quiet about it feels better then having to talk about it.

Yet again, I am truely sorry. We learn the most from our mistakes. And I have learned.

I thank you all for your comments, which either they were in support, or in critiism of my foolish statements, or in both, they have helped on a positive way. And for that, I thank you all.

-Jason
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials."

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

"Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there...and light the bloody thing yourself." - Sara Henderson

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings...to bind up the broken hearted." - The Healing One

I think I'm a little confused. is he talking about DMV plates that have FF logos? or something that is given out by a department that attaches to the liscene plate?

no offense to any of you guys, but I do have the latter on my car. I have a plate, department issued, attached to the bottom of my liscence place, that says "EBIFC". I also used to have an EMT sticker, but that got lost when my bro totalled my car.

I also have a spare set of bunkers and a coat in the truck of my car at all times. and yes, I have been "first due" (I know, whacker term) in my POV (out of district and out of COUNTY) on at least one MVC with entrapment. so yes, when i was in the back of the car, while they were cutting, I was glad to have my gear on.

but this is the part of the thread that disturbs me:
    And second, non-Firefighters, with Fire Plates, have got pulled over and asked to assist on fires and when they reply, "Oh, I'm not a Firefighter," well, I wish I was there to just throw them in jail. When a vehicle gets pulled over with Fire Plates, and the Police Officer or Fire Officer assumes your a Firefighter and they need Fire support ASAP, and your not a Firefighter...it not only coasts time, but it could of just coast a life.
    now, spelling errors aside, I don't know any cops that would pull a civilian vehicle (with who knows who in it) over to assist at a fire. ok, maybe they would flag down an ambulance to help at a MVA, or maybe an engine passing a car fire. but I don't think a cop would pull over a civilian with FF plates.

now, when i stop at MVAs, I always identify myself as a FF or EMT or both (depending on what state I'm in), and ask if they want help. I will also show the officer my FD badge or EMS ID. If the officer accepts my offer to help, I will. if not, then I'll continue on my merry way.

bottom line: who care? maybe they are proud to say they have a family member who is a firefighter. after all, i think liscence plates should be the least of our worries.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 07-19-2004 at 12:18 AM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

I've got the plates myself, but it's primarily because I don't want my car towed if I have to park someplace "illegal" if I'm recalled for a fire. It allows the local PD to recognize my vehicle. Come to think of it, they'll probably tow it because they DO recognize my vehicle. Anyway, it's paid off a couple of times when I've been working an investigation out of town.

TheHealingOne...be careful. You're starting to step over the line into the realm of arrogance, and that'll get you tagged for the rest of your career as quickly as anything else you could do. Do your job, and don't ask questions just to be asking questions. There's a point when it's almost like the kids that keep asking, "Why?"

You've just started into an incredible career. Don't screw it up by coming off as being someone that sees themselves as something better than anyone else. You've got to earn your chops just like anyone else on this job. Acceptance into the fire service is not an entitlement just because of a family connection or the fact that you've passed your Firefighter 1 cert. You've only just started your education. You present this kind of attitude at the FD, and you're gonna get a lesson that you never anticipated.

Pride is ok; arrogance is not...recognize and understand the difference. Good luck in your career. I'm sure things will go well for you, if you learn from all the subtle lessons that you're going to get over the years.
    Last edited by Steamer; 07-19-2004 at 12:32 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information