Thread: New Rigs

Forum Member

Default New Rigs

Any one getting new rigs ? Whats on order, what is going to be ordered ?

Forum Member

Long Hill just got a new Tower this year, Nichols is expecting new Engine and I know we will be beginning the specs on a new Heavy Rescue soon.

Also heard that Monroe either got or is getting a Ladder?

What about you?
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

Bethel is going out to bid on a new tanker. 3000 gallons on a Mack . Stony Hill is going to bid for a class A pumper.
    Bethel received a heavy rescue from res1cue on a KW chassis during the fall.

Forum Member

Canton just took delivery of a ALF Metro Pumper

MembersZone Subscriber

There were quite a few new apparatus purchases last year.

In Vernon we got a new E-One aerial, American LaFrance Engine Tanker, Tactical Air Unit, and a new ambulance.

We have a decon trailer and tractor coming in from the state. Also, a hazmat trailer.

I know Tolland got 2 identical 3000 gallon tankers.

Warehouse Point got their new aerial (waste of money...cough cough)

Broad Brook got their new ET.

Manchester (8th District) bought a demo E-One aerial, very similar to the one that we have in Vernon. They should be getting it the end of August.

Prospect got a new Ferrera ET.

IACOJ Agitator

Blue Hills got a new Engine last year, same with Bloomfield Center.

Hazardville's Tower is pretty much the same as The Point's but the previous year's model.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

And not to mention, Hazardvilles tower is just as much of a waste as that of "The Point." Lets not forget Farmingtons Pierce tower as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

TVFDT141 if you live in a glass house you should not throw stones...I have it from a VERY credible source (your salesman for the "new" T-141) that your precious E-One 95' mid-mount tower has basically had every part of the aerial but the boom replaced or repaired. There is a reason why Boston went to Pierce and it wasn't price alone...I know this becasue I know guys on the job up there and they have showed me their rigs...they weren't even getting 10 years out of them.

IACOJ Agitator

99, Is Boston doing straight aerials or are they quints?

I know there are ALOT of FDs in CT and MA that have had tons of problems with Pierce quints that were bought in the last few years. I know Warehouse Points tower (plain aerial, not a quint) was actually sent back to Wisconsin last year because it had problems.
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Isnt there a New York section? Nothing was ever said about the quality of the apparatus. Anything that has gone wrong has been fixed. Warehouse Point took months to get their aerial in service. They had to send it back to Pierce to have repairs and retro's done. Ill be the first to say it is a beautiful truck. When I first saw it, I was knocked off my feet. We were number 7 off the assembly line. A new design for E-One. There are bound to be problems. I say that the Pierce (which seems to be popular) is a waste of money because of the functionality of the apparatus itself. These departments are purchasing apparatus nearing and sometimes exceeding 1 million dollars...without a pump. This may not be an issue with paid departments like New York or Boston, but with the limited manpower that us volunteers have a aerial with a pump could prove to be more then beneficial. And T-541 on the other side of town has proved this. Additionally, the City of Hartford uses Pierce for some of their apparatus. Which tend to be out of service more often then not. Not to mention the Pierce quints that Manchester has, which are also out of service quite often.
    Last edited by TVFDT141; 07-22-2004 at 11:05 PM.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by TVFDT141
    Additionally, the City of Hartford uses Pierce for their heavy rescues.
    Huh? Aside from the fact that there is only 1 rescue, isn't it a Mack? I know they have Pierce engines...
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah there is a NY section, but I'm still a NE CT boy at heart and I always will be. So what is your opinion of the Pierce's you have at UCFD? Yeah we don't have quints in the city, BUT we are different in the way we do things...my old job has a quint (same basic truck as T-541) and they seem to like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

fdny99,
    When it comes down to it. All apparatus are pretty similar. Each manufacturer is going to have its positives and its negatives. At the end of the day, they are trucks to put out fire, no matter what name is stamped on the side of it. They all use the same motors. They all use the same transmittions. They all use the same pumps. Cities and rural areas are going to use different spec'ed apparatus to complete different tasks. It just doesnt make sence to me that you would purchase something less equiped for so much more. Also, how could it hurt to have an extra pump handy?

a) I don't recall any significant problems on our 2001 Pierce aerial

b) And it came in about $550k. 105' aerial, 1500gpm pump w/foam system, ground ladders plus hand tools & SCBA (which are things we usually don't purchase but move truck to truck). I think the Pierce part off the top of my head was about $525k and we do several items with our own contractors (gold leafing, radios). We also do our own booking for inspection flights, hotel rooms, and drive the apparatus home ourselves, but those are thousand here, thousand there savings.

Places paying $750-1,000k are doing so 'cause they're a salesman's dream. I'm pretty confident at the time Pierce and the others were bidding they didn't know we had a total of $600k we could've spent between town money and our own fundraiser money -- the quotes mostly fell in the $500k range +/- 10%.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

TVFDT141 that is the exact point I was trying to get at...new rigs are like new cars sometimes you get a GREAT one sometimes you get a REAL POS. But when it all comes down to it as long as they hold water in the tank, pump water, and have a working aerial device, then they fit the description of a fire truck. And yes I do believe in the quint concept, when it is necessary, but not in all places (such as the FDNY where we have the man power and resources to not need them). In Willimantic where I was on the job for a little over 8 years before leaving for the city, they have a new tower ladder similiar to yout T-541, and I think the quint concept was the right way to go for them. And I also think that when bidding a truck, like buying a new car, if you write a generic spec around what you want and make the things you want a no exception (such as construction material, and items that your dept has identified as a must have) you can get a truck you want, at a good price...I know it works becasue that is what we as a truck committee did 2 times in Willimantic before I left (once for a pumper that was awarded to E-One, and once for a rescue that was awarded to Luverne).

Forum Member

Default New Rigs

I know of 5 new ones in the last few months...

Shelton took delivery of 4 new Pierce Enforcer "Rescue Pumpers", which seem to be basic pumpers with extra compartment space, one for each of their firehouses. I don't think they're in service yet. Engines 2, 32, 42, 52.

Derby's Paugassett Hook & Ladder Company recently got a new 105' Pierce midmount stick, with a small pump on it. I think its a Dash - Truck #15. Most of Derby's apparatus are Pierce.

You'll also find most of the Bridgeport Fire Department (13 out of 15 companies - all but 2 engines) use Pierces of all types and cofigurations. Many of New Haven's engine and squad companies are also Pierces. I know they have 2 Seagrave tillers, but I don't know about other ladders.

I'm not trying to argue that one manufacturer is better than the rest - as long as they get to the fire and put it out its OK in my book. But since Pierce is not cheap they must be doing something right for these cities to keep on buying them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know why everyone is trying to back Pierce. Nothing was ever said about the quality of their product. They are popular, no doubt. I think they offer one of the, if not, the best cab out there. For a volunteer department, a 95' aerial with no pump for a million bucks is a waste. IMO!

Default New rig...

We just took delivery of a new medical truck in Farmington. Swab body on a Ford Chassis. What an improvement over our last medical truck. Drives like a dream...
    pictures of it should be up on our website soon.

Keep safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

For a volunteer department, a 95' aerial with no pump for a million bucks is a waste
    Farmington has one of these fine aerials.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am well aware of that.

Default Are you a Junior FF??

Originally posted by TVFDT141
    fdny99,
    When it comes down to it. All apparatus are pretty similar. Each manufacturer is going to have its positives and its negatives. At the end of the day, they are trucks to put out fire, no matter what name is stamped on the side of it. They all use the same motors. They all use the same transmittions. They all use the same pumps. Cities and rural areas are going to use different spec'ed apparatus to complete different tasks. It just doesnt make sence to me that you would purchase something less equiped for so much more. Also, how could it hurt to have an extra pump handy?

The first thing that came to my mind was what town are you from??? Have you ever helped spec out a truck?? Motors are NOT all the same, TRANSMISSIONS (yes junior, thats how you spell it) are not all the same, pumps are not all the same. There are so many variables that go into what you need, HP for the motor, gears in the transmission, how big for the size and weight of the truck. We have a pumper that we are not happy with at all, why you ask?? The manufacturer gave us a terd of truck, workmanship was poor. So not all fire trucks are the same. You can always polish a terd for parades, but in the end it is still a terd.

Forum Member

Default Re: Are you a Junior FF??

Originally posted by ffjerry2000

The first thing that came to my mind was what town are you from??? Have you ever helped spec out a truck?? Motors are NOT all the same, TRANSMISSIONS (yes junior, thats how you spell it) are not all the same, pumps are not all the same. There are so many variables that go into what you need, HP for the motor, gears in the transmission, how big for the size and weight of the truck. We have a pumper that we are not happy with at all, why you ask?? The manufacturer gave us a terd of truck, workmanship was poor. So not all fire trucks are the same. You can always polish a terd for parades, but in the end it is still a terd.
    Before you go busting someone else's chops about his/her spelling, you better check your own.......

It's T-U-R-D........... not T-E-R-D

Forum Member

uh, oh, he's spreading. call out the hazmat team, we need to start alittle dam, dike and divert action to contain this guy.

Jerry, for your information, I didn't agree with what you were saying, but I didn't mind you saying it becuase it's free country. HOWEVER when you started attacking '77, a long time, and well respected member of this board, you've crossed the line. I can see a "temporarily/no longer active" in your future if you keep this up.
    I'm the Midnight Skulker, HAHAHAHAHA

MembersZone Subscriber

QUOTE]There are so many variables that go into what you need, HP for the motor, gears in the transmission, how big for the size and weight of the truck. We have a pumper that we are not happy with at all, why you ask?? The manufacturer gave us a terd of truck, workmanship was poor.[/QUOTE]

Heres alittle information for you "Junior." Take two completely different pieces of apparatus that we have in town. A E-One Engine (1500 GPM pump and 500 gallons of water) and our E-One Tower (2000 GPM pump and 280 gallons of water.) Believe it or not both pieces of apparatus use the exact same engine/transmission. Im sure you can find a Pierce that uses the same combo as well.

Stop running your mouth. You ask me "well, have you ever helped spec out a truck?" The answer is no...But from what it sounds like, you spec'd out one POS. Dont put blame on the manufacturer, you chose the truck...fool.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

I heard these message boards were for mature, rational discussions of issues and activities in the fire service. I can't wait for them to start.

Reading some of these posts makes me feel like I'm sitting on a playground with a bunch of 6th graders.

Thread Information