Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good to Great

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good to Great

I have finished reading the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. This book documents an exhaustive scientific study of corporations and puts forth several conclusions as to why some companies went from "Good to Great" and some didn't.

As I read this book, I couldn;t help but think over and over how some of this tuff could be applied to the fire service...particularly the section on Level 5 Leaders and Technology Accelerators.

Has anybody else read this book? (It was a NYT Best seller). What do you think about the application of some of this stuff to the fire service?

Forum Member

George,
    I have not read it yet, but all the upper management here has. Us lower ones will probably be reading it in 3-4 months. But I understand it is a good book.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I haven't read that one, but am doing a re-read of "Leadership on the Line" by Heifetz and Linsky.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Have not read it, will place on my list of mangement books to read. Currently reading First in,last out by John Salka.Not your typical book from a firefighter, good book and can be used as a company officer's handbook.

Sources of Power: How people make Decisions, by Gary Klein I think.

Studied Fireground Commanders, NICU nurses, and Military Commanders to see how they make split second decisions... was interesting... got slow in the middle, but well worth finishing. Phoenix used it when developing their ICS Center

Thread Information