MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is anyone else sick of Canada?

Tonight's news brought two stories up in the headlines:
    1. 40% of Canadians believe America is evil (but the majority continue to vacation here and would choose to work here if they could).
    2. The Fox News network is banned by Canadian cable outlets, but they are going to put Al Jazeera on.

This is all in the wake of all of the brutal, vicious anti-American rhetoric of their recent elections. Maybe they are right. Maybe the US IS evil. Maybe Canada should cut all of their ties with us, jam our radio and TV signals and end all trade relationships. Get your sports teams out of our leagues (and today, even the NHL is based here). Most of all, they should end their involvement in the Air Defense System. In fact, go all the way. Seal the borders and require a passport to travel back and forth.

Then in two weeks, when you are floundering or on the verge of invasion by a third world nation, you'll come crawling back.

My mantra has been "Screw France". I am starting to believe another country should be in there.

Forum Member

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of Canada?

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    1. 40% of Canadians believe America is evil (but the majority continue to vacation here and would choose to work here if they could).
    2. The Fox News network is banned by Canadian cable outlets, but they are going to put Al Jazeera on.

This is all in the wake of all of the brutal, vicious anti-American rhetoric of their recent elections. Maybe they are right. Maybe the US IS evil. Maybe Canada should cut all of their ties with us, jam our radio and TV signals and end all trade relationships. Get your sports teams out of our leagues (and today, even the NHL is based here). Most of all, they should end their involvement in the Air Defense System. In fact, go all the way. Seal the borders and require a passport to travel back and forth.

Then in two weeks, when you are floundering or on the verge of invasion by a third world nation, you'll come crawling back.

My mantra has been "Screw France". I am starting to believe another country should be in there.
    GEEEEEEZUS George who ****ed in your wheaties this morning?? You know maybe your "break" from the forums shouldn't have ended yet, I think you may still need a time out. Lumping an entire country into your rant is not right, NOT all of us "Canadians" share the views that you have chosen to get so riled up over. Not all of us agree with those views. There are several Americans who have ****ed me off over the years, there have been times I haven't agreed with certain things HOWEVER, I most certainly wouldn't make the statements you have, but then I guess I'm just not jaded enough, not cranky enough, not bitter enough, not ****ed off at the world enough....... but whatever, thanks for lumping us ALL together for the views of the MINORITY and the actions of the CRTC (I think that's the communications acronym, if not I apologize) We don't get to choose the actions of the higher ups, we can only vote in the election when it comes, unfortunately the candidate I voted for didn't make the cut. BTW, George from the campaign statements I saw ONE candidate was for the American way and that was used AGAINST him in the election. Everything aside, thanks for sharing your opinion, I'm just sorry you allow a minority of a country to form your opinion of it as a whole.

Just a lil FYI George, maybe the next time you disagree with something or have an issue with something instead of allowing a sudden onset of *****holism to overtake your thought process you could take a step back, think for a minute and then post in a manner that will not be an attack or inflammatory to others. There are several Canadians who post here, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who will take offense to what you have typed here. Respect is earned George not freely given, and while you have always had my respect (I may not have always agreed with you or your opinions), this post has just removed a lot of it.
    Last edited by PFire23; 07-21-2004 at 12:14 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

the 4-1-4

I also saw the story tonight regarding the acceptance of al-jazeera on Canadian television, and the continued boycott of FNC. Yes, the story did outrage me, but not because of their refusal to broadcast Fox news. I fail to understand why any person other than a fundamental muslim would take anything al-jazeera broadcasts as news. The next thing I will be told is that michael moore is "fair and balanced".I understand the frustration that comes with opposition to our beliefs, and the apparent ideological differances with our northern friends; I do hope that their opinion of us is really not that of an "evil" empire. To compare Canada to france is truly an insult, at least to this point. ( I am speaking of the government, and not necesarily the people ) I will hold judgement until I see how they handle our military deserters who were welcomed with open arms in Toronto. I know for a fact; through travel and mingling with Canadian citizens that we are not all that differant. That is, other than the fact that they screwed up the great sport of football. C'mon guys 3 downs? Whats that all about? There is also no comparing of beer. Canadian beer is second to none. Seriously though, we as allies need to find a common strength in the war on terror here so the next suicide attacks are not in Toronto, or Memphis. Somehow we both need to stop these savages from getting into either one of our nations. Unfortunately when dealing with a crisis such as this, it is tough to stay civil when the potential is mass death and mayhem.One other quick question for our friends from up north. I only bring this up out of curiosity, why are we as US citizens called Americans? Are we not all residents of North America? I know Canadians are citizens of Canada, and Mexicans are from Mexico. This is a qustion I have thought long and hard about and have not been able to answer. It has always puzzled me. I look at myself as a US citizen, and have alwaysfelt that calling myself that is more defining than the term "american". Maybe I'm off base here.

Forum Member

Originally posted by jasper45
    One other quick question for our friends from up north. I only bring this up out of curiosity, why are we as US citizens called Americans? Are we not all residents of North America? I know Canadians are citizens of Canada, and Mexicans are from Mexico. This is a qustion I have thought long and hard about and have not been able to answer. It has always puzzled me. I look at myself as a US citizen, and have alwaysfelt that calling myself that is more defining than the term "american". Maybe I'm off base here.
    I honestly don't know the answer to that Jasper, I've just always known people who live in the States to be called Americans, perhaps it's because you live in the United States of AMERICA

As for the al-jazeera broadcasts, I have no answer for that either, but at the same time I don't agree with it. I don't understand why our government would even want this to be shown in our country, in my mind allowing this garbage to be shown in MY country shows acceptance and support to this group, and I certainly feel neither. I am appalled by this action....... perhaps my fellow Canadians could join me in a show of NON-support for the broadcasting of the al-jazeera crap in our country by mailing our government officials.

As for the deserters I have no answer to that either, other than at times I feel that we have far too many bleeding heart sympathizers in our population. There are those who believe that there's no reason why "we can't all just get along", or that there is another way to deal with terrorism aside from war. However, with that being said, these bleeding heart sympathizers and "can't we just all get along" people are not just Canadian, they come from all walks of life, all races, all creeds and ALL countries.

There was something posted a while ago about if you want to come live in MY country you will follow the rules of MY country, you will speak MY language not visa versa.....etc. I know it's on my home computer, but since I'm at work I don't have access to it...... I agree with everything said in that piece. I think perhaps the problem is that as a country known for being a melting pot and a safe haven we have been so careful to accept, respect and tolerate the cultural differences of others, to find a way to make foreigners who come to live here comfortable ........ and along the way, we have forgotten our safety, our cultural backgrounds and that the respect should be mutual. We have given so much to those who choose to find refuge in our country that it has now come to be expected, and like everything else, when you give an inch the recipient soon grows to expect a mile. Perhaps the time has come to follow the mantra of the piece I referred to, perhaps the time has come to TAKE OUR COUNTRIES BACK!!!! Something has to give here, but I certainly don't think that it should be the alliance between our two countries and sadly that's what I see happening.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

IACOJ BOD

Canadian beer is second to none
    I take exception to that comment SPEIGHTS

anti-American rhetoric of their recent elections
    George????? hello, that was politicains talking.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

the 4-1-4

Default kiwi .....

No disrespect intended, I just have never had the priveledge of drinking your beer in country. I have never been to your end of the world, perhaps someday I will have to ammend my statement. Thank you for not aking me defend against aussie rules football . I don't even know if you have your own style of football in NZ, please forgive my ignorance.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-21-2004 at 01:36 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    George????? hello, that was politicains talking.
    Thank you Ian

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Nobody ****ed in anything of mine.

2. I thought long and hard about that post. It accurately reflects how I feel. I am sorry if you don't like it.

3. It may be a valid point that some of these points may be related to the politicians. I will continue my research. But the articles I am reading suggest that the anti-American sentiment up there, particularly in Quebec (France, go figure) is quite high. In fact, there were two French journailists on TV last night that said so.

4. If you don't like my posts, please place me on your ignore list.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Wow......................

George, Welcome Back..... I don't have quite the Maalox moment with Canada that some folks seem to have, BUT, I do strongly disagree with the situation in Quebec. IMHO, a group of folks there need to get back on the boat and head back to France. Independence?? what's needed there is independent THINKING. not stuffing their collective noses up France's you-know-what. BTW, I don't have much use for the Fox Network myself. I like Cops, but trash like the Simpsons? Nah.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

George, during your research why don't you take a good long look at what the rest of Canada thinks of Quebec and their ideals. Just because ONE area thinks/feels a certain way doesn't mean that a majority of the country thinks/feels that way.

I have to wonder just how accurate of a perception this is......how many Canadians were polled as to what their feelings on this subject are? I know that no one has ever asked me......any of my fellow Canadians out there, you been asked what you think??? But what the heck, I guess if it's on tv, being REPORTED by the media, then it must be the gospel truth.

As for placing you on my "ignore" list, sorry but I don't use it, I just pick and choose what I read or respond to. I'm sorry if YOU don't like someone having an opinion that differs from yours, if you are going to post the crap that you did, with the venom that you did and use the opinions of certain members of a country to make a generalized judgement then you must expect to have responses such as mine.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Default George

Generalizing is never a good idea. Most Canadians I have met respect the U.S.. Its like saying all of New Jersey is a toilet.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of Canada?

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

1. I'm not sure where this survey was taken but I can assure you that the vast majority of Canadians do not feel this way, I'm sure that any Pollster worth his salt could find pockets in the US which find America evil as well.

2. I guess nobody informed my Cable co. of this as I get Fox on mine (although I admittedly rarely watch it).

I've missed your occasional anti-Canadian rants since you've been gone George. It's nice to see that some things (no matter how obtuse) never change. Bet you just love Linda Rondstadt.

the 4-1-4

Default manofire2......

A great point in your reply about people in the United States percieving the US as an "evil" regime. Several weeks ago I had the utter MISfortune of witnessing the green party national convention. Talk about a bunch of hate spewing US citizens. These were people who specefically had the US flag removed from the convention center and surrounding streets during the convention. These are also people who would rather carry palestinian flags during a "peace" march; signs containing phrases such as "victory to the iraqi resistance" were carried as well. These "peace" demonstrators were also quite confrontational as they spilled into my firehouse thrusting their garbage in our faces, and then becoming confrontational when told to hit the road. I would be hopefull that those in Canada would not base any opinion on these people.As far as quebec goes, wouldn't the rest of Canada just as soon see that province move? Just a bit of humor, but I do remember following several stories in which quebec wished to secede from the whole of Canada.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-21-2004 at 10:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, George, it's ironic.
    This morning I was complaining that their damned money won't work in our vending machines.
    I say, either mint money that will work here in our machines or keep it out of this country.
    Sheesh!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

And their geese can make quite a mess!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess nobody informed my Cable co. of this as I get Fox on mine (although I admittedly rarely watch it).
    BTW, I don't have much use for the Fox Network myself. I like Cops, but trash like the Simpsons? Nah.

It's Fox News Channel that isn't shown in Canada. The Normal Fox TV network is shown. But when I was looking for Hannity and Colmes when I was in Ontario, I was told "we don't show that garbage" by the Hotel Clerk.

But if you want BBC, CNN, MSNBC, or CBS...it's right there. Al-Jazeera will make a welcome addition to that GARBAGE! I am not as much of an anti-Canadian Zealot as some, but when it comes to the Eastern Part of Canada, they might as well be Frenchman (with the exception of Nova Scotia!..)
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Damn the geese!! DAMN THE GEESE!!

Rats with wings.

Forum Member

Originally posted by jaybird210
    Rats with wings.
    Those would be BATS, bats are rats with wings

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Now its time for some fair and balanced posting.

1. Its George's opinion,you dont have to like or agree with it--he wasnt asking you too.
    2. Sterotypes arnt always right, but usally have a root in something.
    3. Having vistited Canada several times I will say this. There is Canada and then there is Queer.....errr I mean Quebec. Please vist Canada. Quebec is France's incestious basterd child twice removed,much like the French Canadians.
    4. Canadian Bacon is the one of the best movies ever.
    4-A. Vince Dunn should have a colum on why Mashed potatoes are not a stuctural material.
    5. When in Canada I have never seen a Candian Goose. I see plenty sh**ing on my car though, the town of Danvers pays 28k to a "trained" collie to chase them.
    6. Canada has given such American Icons as John Candy,Pat Sajack and Alex Trebeck.
    7. When in doubt just Blame Canada
    8. Thank you pfire for being the self appointed ambassedor for Canada.
    9. If Canadians cant laugh at them selves,they are missing the greatest joke of all.
    10. BC is the best province of Canada.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

In fact, there were two French journailists on TV last night that said so.
    What !?!

Ok show of hands , who listens to anything the media in general has to say (without confirming on your own)?

Sometimes I am reminded by the character Walter Mathaeu (sp?) palyed in the movie(s) Grumpy Old Men.

Forum Member

Default Smack-out to STM once again.

1. George is an adult, He can take it without your help.
    2. Stereotypes are the lazy mans way of thinking
    3. I never have been to Quebec, but hear Montreal is nice. Learn how to spell.
    4. Learn to spell. What Does Chief Dunn have to do with this thread?
    5. I bet you would work cheaper then Lassie
    6. Sorry kid. Pat Sajak is from Chicago
    8. PFire could knock your block off with one hand tied between HER back.. And, learn to spell
    9. They are too busy laughing at you.
    10. Thanks. Duly noted
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Now its time for some fair and balanced posting
    Just curious, when is it time for some intelligent and meaningful posting?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

1. Its George's opinion,you dont have to like or agree with it--he wasnt asking you too.

And I wasn't asking him to agree with my stance BUT, since he chose to make venomous statements regarding MY country I have a RIGHT to speak MY opinion. Funny thing Jesse BOY, I don't recall anyone asking you for your opinion either, how's this, the next time I might want your opinion I'll give it to you. How's that for FAIR AND BALANCED???

Thank God stereotypes aren't always right Jesse or I'd have to think all YOUNG BOYS like you were dumbasses, who have lots of OPINIONS with little intellect to substantiate them.

3. Having vistited Canada several times I will say this. There is Canada and then there is Queer.....errr I mean Quebec. Please vist Canada. Quebec is France's incestious basterd child twice removed,much like the French Canadians.

Just goes to show that Canada really does need to tighten up THEIR borders, we are STILL letting just about anyone in.

Also damn tasty.

4-A. Vince Dunn should have a colum on why Mashed potatoes are not a stuctural material.

Dunno who this is, but I've seen some that could be used as this.

5. When in Canada I have never seen a Candian Goose. I see plenty sh**ing on my car though, the town of Danvers pays 28k to a "trained" collie to chase them.

You obviously don't know what one looks like then, they are all over our country. Damn dog makes more money than you huh Jesse? *smirk*

6. Canada has given such American Icons as John Candy,Pat Sajack and Alex Trebeck.

I don't think we "gave" them to you, I believe they "chose" their paths. Slavery and human trade were abolished long ago didn't you know.

Actually Jesse, I've already responded to this in a sense when I stated that as a resident of this Country I was entitled to respond to George's opinion, but thank you for being George's lil lapdog, I'm sure he appreciates the gesture. However, you should wipe that lil smudge off your nose, it's a bit distracting.

9. If Canadians cant laugh at them selves,they are missing the greatest joke of all.

Actually Jesse, we spend a lot of time laughing at you, YOU provide a great source of entertainment. I have a very low tolerance for stupid people and you reinforce the reasons why every time you allow your thoughts to spill forth.

It is one of the most beautiful provinces in Canada, but like the US there are many beautiful areas...... but you are right it is the best because I live in it

Finally, I have one last thing to say to you Jesse, GET BENT, you seem to think that you have valid thoughts and points but really you don't. Haven't you figured that out yet???? My responses to George were NOT your affair, MY responses to George were just that and there was no need for you to take it upon yourself to run in to George's rescue. I'm pretty sure he's capable of articulating his thoughts and feelings without your input.

edited to remove a comment that was taken out of context
    Last edited by PFire23; 07-21-2004 at 05:50 PM.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Now its time for some fair and balanced posting.

With reference and deference to point #10, obviously you've never been to Alberta.

We love Americans here by the way, we even go so far as to accept American money at par.

Forum Member

Default Re: Smack-out to STM once again.

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT

6. Sorry kid. Pat Sajak is from Chicago

Alright you can have him, more importantly, we lay claim to; Shania Twain, Pam Anderson, Alanis Morisette, Nelly Furtato...etc.

Thread Information