MembersZone Subscriber

Default Massachusetts Hiring Process ??????

I am wondering if anyone has an idea how MA does thier hiring, I have heard so many different stories from people. I know that Boston gives a test every 2 years but how do other towns do it? And does it require a residency? I recently moved from there to complete the fire academy in FL, and want to get back up there ASAP! Thanks!

former FH.com member

Default Don't be in such a rush.

Hiring in MA is pretty grim. Many departments are laying off, or planning to, and those few that are hiring are picking up laid off FF. You may be better off in Florida. Most Mass. departments hire off the annual statewide fire civil service exam.(Oh and yes most towns/cities, including Boston require residency..you really don't have a shot without it.) Sorry to rain on your parade. I grew up in MA but sadly had to it leave to pursue a real shot at a fire service career.
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 07-21-2004 at 08:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

More than one new FF here in Maine has come from Mass. One on my shift is the son of a ret. capt. who is the son of a Chief in one of the border cities to Boston. It did not matter what score he got. I figure it must be the same in New Hampster. If our tax cap goes through here in November we will be exporting FF's to other states too.
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

I have found that alot of the pd FD's do there hiring through the state. Which they will have testing for several different cities and towns through Mass.

They just had testing in Feb. if i remember right and it was for about a dozen differnt towns. Theres a state website with employment links where you find FF hiring.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did some looking and they just did a test in April, sounds like they do one every 2 years or so.

Thread Information